PDA

View Full Version : Knowing where your cat is

Sarah Murray-White
01-05-2002, 09:16 PM
Hi everyone, this is my fist time posting. Apologies if this topic has already been covered but I couldn't see anything similar in the current topics.
I was wondering if anyone had solved the problem of knowing where cats are when they're "out and about". My cats can access many neighbouring backyards and lanes, most of which are out of sight from my house. One of my cats is a real "Calamity Jane" (or whatever the male equivalent is) and does get into major scrapes from which he cannot extract himself and needs human help. Naturally this makes me nervous whenever he's out of sight - although 95% of the time he's actually OK. If I had some kind of device (something like they put on wild animals when they're tracking them) I would be a lot calmer. Does anyone know of such a thing available on a commercial basis - preferably not too cumbersome, and reasonably priced of course! Alternatively any suggestions which could contribute to my peace of mind and save me from an early grave due to nervous tension would be very welcome Thanks a million, Sarah :)

TheAntiPam
01-05-2002, 10:46 PM
Oh yes, that sinking feeling when you go outside and no kitty to be seen! I know that very well - Many people advocate keeping cats indoors at all times. But my big orange tabby didn't get the memo, and instead peed in my shoe if I didn't let him outside. It only took 3 pairs of ruined shoes for me to give in.

With my hunting kitty (Daisy, Rainbow Bridge) I put a bell on her collar. I'm sure it cut down on her hunting success, but I could tell where she was hiding more often. In fact, I discovered that her favorite place to hide was up on the roof of the carport, watching me run around the yard looking for her! :mad: Still, sometimes she was just GONE, and no amount of listening or searching did any good.

I hope someone else can offer more practical ideas - meanwhile, tell your babies to stay home! :) :) :)

[ January 05, 2002: Message edited by: TheAntiPam ]

C.C.'s Mom
01-06-2002, 03:30 AM
I don't know of anything commercial, at least not something that's being sold over here.
Both my cats go out, and they have their ears tattoed, wear a collar with my phone number, and generally come when I call them.
That's one of the reasons why I let them go out at all: they come when I call them.
They go to the neighbors most of the time, and when I hear Rudie being in a fight (he usually screams very loudly), a simple call lets him know I'm around and he runs to me. Sometimes in the summer he's out all night, and that's terrible. I don't sleep at all, so I know what you're going through when your cat is gone and you don't know where he is.

NoahsMommy
01-11-2002, 02:21 PM
You may want to try a website like www.petsmart.com (http://www.petsmart.com) or www.petco.com (http://www.petco.com) and search for something like that. I know they have special "radio" fences for dogs that keep them in your front yard, yet they are able to be without a leash. Maybe it'll work for your kitties....good luck!

Oh! Welcome to Pet Talk!

Sarah Murray-White
01-12-2002, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Spencer-The-Lion:
<STRONG>...one thing I'm considering is a low-voltage wire at the top of my backyard fence. The net did completly work. It is powered by two flashlight batteries so it's not going to make them look like Bill the Cat :eek:</STRONG>

Hi STL from Texas!
Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds worth a try but I'm in rented accomodation and I suspect my landlords (who happen to be a government department) would not allow me to do stuff to their fence. I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that they are going to wander. But I had another idea - what I should look for is one of those bug things that they put on cars in spy movies to keep track of them ;) - now all I need to find is a handy dandy corner store which sells them!

Logan
01-12-2002, 08:08 PM
Sarah,
If you have one of those cats who just has to go outside, like mine do, I would make sure you have a collar and good identification on the collar. You might also consider a microchip, which is more common in the US than a tattoo, I think. But I have heard of those who do both. You want to do what is most common in your area, to ensure that whoever eventually would find him would hopefully be able to identify him that way too, in case the collar got lost.
Neither of my cats have a microchip, but both wear id on their collars. I am lucky because mine stay close to home always. Mimi is older and rarely goes outdoors, and Butter knows he has it too good to wander far! LOL!
Other than keeping him in...which I know he doesn't want, I don't have any more suggestions. Good luck. :)

Logan

todd
01-12-2002, 09:50 PM
HI MY CAT HAS A MICROCHIP AND IF CAT IS LOST THAY HAVE A NUMBER THAT IS SCAND AND YOU ARE CONTACTED. I HAD IT DOWN AT MY VET,S. ASK YOUR VET,S AND SEE IF THAY DO IT OR THAY WELL NOW HOW CAN DO IT START WICTH YOUR VET,S. :D :)

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: my angel ]

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: my angel ]