PDA

View Full Version : cat strength

wayne0214
01-03-2002, 09:37 AM
Has anyone considered the strength of a 9-month old male black, DSH cat? Namely, I'm speaking of Bear, my 11 lb. computer keyboard companion. Yesterday, I put him in a pet-carrier to check it out(to take him to the vet) to see if he would ride in it. After some whining and crying, would you beleive that he tore off the door, and got out, luckily we were not travelling at the time! Gguess I'll have to find some other way of getting him there!

.......wayne :D

NoahsMommy
01-03-2002, 11:08 AM
Wow! What a strong kitty!!! I guess he didn't like that carrier!! :D

Noah is pretty strong too! It's amazing how much strength something so "little" can have! Noah likes to kick me away with his back legs when he is annoyed...jeesh! :rolleyes:

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: NoahsMommy ]

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: NoahsMommy ]

sasvermont
01-03-2002, 03:59 PM
I once had taken a feral female cat from the barn and had her spayed. Ended up that she had an infection and had to be confined for a few days post-op. So I created a "run" that attached to a rather large carrier so that she could walk around while she recovered. Anyway, her first night in the spare room, in this set up, she escaped. I had the two pieces tied together with rope and then bungie cords. There was just no way she could get out. Guess what. I heard a crash (the plywood blocking the door to the room) and went in to the living room only to find my poor old cat sleeping away on the sofa and this wild and woolly, feral cat, wandering around the house. When she saw me she tried to jump through a mirror I had on the wall. She was in a real panic. Eventually I opened the door to the screened in porch and that is where she lived for several days and then I let her free. It was horrible to see her so upset. She must have used every ounce of energy she had to squeeze between the ropes and cords. She was slight of build but feral and mighty strong! She survived the operation but disappeared from the group of ferals shortly there after.

sammyboy
01-03-2002, 10:10 PM
That same thing happened the first time we took our cats to the vet also. we let ours ride freely in the car. there are 2 things to make sure of when doing this. make sure that all windows and doors are shut, and bring a litter box. if you are in a car it probably wont work as well. we have a van and let them find hiding places and do their own thing. maybe you could try that
;)

wayne0214
01-06-2002, 07:03 AM
OK , I'll try that. I have a small pick-up truck with a camper shell on the back, inside which can be totally shut off from the rest of the vehicle. Also, I'm thinking of making a pet carrier with 2x2's, with a door and all.

Bear normally has a phelgmatic personality, showing little emotion, nor does he move around much. Even with his stoic nature, when he gets scared or upset, his strength and agility are very great. There is another black DSH male that needs to go to the vets' also, and he is even larger than Bear, but younger in age. It is obvious that the pet carrier is for the females and kittens but my males are too large and strong for it.

........wayne

sasvermont
01-06-2002, 01:04 PM
Wayne,

I went to a cat show yesterday. A cat being shown was waiting in a cage and all of the sudden the cat went nuts. Everyone was afraid it was going to hurt itself. It was awful to witness. The owner put a blanket over the container to quiet it down and within a few minutes it was quiet. I know when I captured the local feral cats, that's what they told me to do too - to cover the container. You might want to try a new container (hopefully with strong doors) and then completely cover the container until you get in to the Vet's consult room. Good luck!

SAS

wayne0214
01-07-2002, 07:00 AM
SAS Vermont, did any other cats react the same way, or was there some disturbance among more than that one -in one general area? I know that my furkids can see things that we cannot see and detect the presence of entities that we are not aware of. I remember a couple of years ago they witnessed "field frogs" moving around the adjacent fields and yard. However, I suspect that the show cat probably got "spooked" by all the goings on at the show, with all the people milling around and judges picking up the show entries and all of that.

I have never been to a cat show, and would like to attend one some time in the future. Whenever I look at the purebred cats on the inernet cat sites, that hours can be spent just looking at them. Also, has anyone out there looked over some of the cats up for adoption in the animal shelters on the net? I doubt that I could take going to an animal shelter and looking at all the pets in there, supposing that I would want to take a bunch of them home for foster caring.

.........wayne

sasvermont
01-07-2002, 10:20 AM
Wayne,

The other show cats were fine. For some, it was their first time and they were fine...This one was a Siamese and I suppose high strung. It was pathetic to see it struggling so. It went wild. It lasted for only a few minutes.

The feral cats I captured and took to the Vets did not make one sound while in the container. They were scared to death. Sorta speechless I would say. They had never been in a car or around humans. I never did get to touch them. Once they arrived at the vet they gave them a shot through the cage to knock them out for inspection, shots and "alteration".... what a mess that was, but well worth it.

Hope this helps!

SAS

Ila
01-22-2002, 08:33 AM
When furry friends are scared it is amazing the strength they produce. My husband found out one time trying to break up a cat fight. Our cat and the neighbors cat. We were young and foolish and let the neighbor bring their cat over to see if our furry friends could be neighborly. Well they wanted no part of one another to say the least. We got them seperated to say the least my husband had bruises on his legs from them grabbing a hold of him. It was a good thing he was wearing jeans. We never did that again. Pets stay at their house & ours stay at ours. :rolleyes: