PDA

View Full Version : Pat Tillman

Cincy'sMom
04-23-2004, 05:05 PM
I don't know how many of you have ever heard this name before, but this was a man I really admired. He was a professional football player with the Arizona Cardinals, who, after 9-11 decided to give up his football career and join the military. I remember when he made this decision seeing a story about in inthe NFL pregame and thinking how amazing for someone to walk away from a multi-million dollar deal to fight for something he belives in. Pat was killed serving his country in Afganistan today. May he rest in peace.

The Cardinals offered him a $3.6 million, multiyear contract before he left the NFL. Tillman's agent, Frank Bauer, had tried to convince the safety to wait until his NFL career was over before beginning his three-term enlistment

Tillman article (http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=aNVdAcgN8rEE&refer=us)

aly
04-23-2004, 05:22 PM
Yeah, and he never spoke publicly about his decision because he didn't want to be given preferencial treatment or anything. He is truly a hero.

:(

RICHARD
04-23-2004, 05:27 PM
This weekend a draft is going to be held.

No, not an armed forces draft, the draft for the National Football League.

The number one pick goes to the San Diego Chargers, who were tabbed to pick Eli Manning. His brother Peyton plays for Indianapolis and his dad Archie played for the New Orleans Saints.

Eli has stated he does not want to play for the Chargers and asked that he be traded if the San Diego team picks him.

Pat Tillman turns down 9 million dollars, drafts himself into the service, travels halfway across
the world to lose his life.

Eli Manning is eagerly searching for millions of dollars, tries to bypass the NFL draft, and will
stay here in the US to play a game.

I see the parallels. Two guys who are dedicated to their jobs.
One guy is a hero, the other?

Just another whiny athlete.

catland
04-23-2004, 05:52 PM
I don't really follow the NFL and I never knew who Pat Tillman was.

From what I've read today - he was one classy guy, a patriot, and the the type of role model our country sorely needs.

God bless you Pat Tillman, for your sacrifice and prayers to your loved ones.

Cinder & Smoke
04-23-2004, 07:09 PM
Our Thanks to You, Pat Tillman ~

May You Rest In Peace.

/s/ :( Phred

lizbud
04-23-2004, 07:12 PM
I really don't think it's necessary to take cheap shots at
one man in order to praise another.

Pat Tillman was a remarkable young man & the country is
poorer for his loss. :(

RICHARD
04-23-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
I really don't think it's necessary to take cheap shots at
one man in order to praise another.

Pat Tillman was a remarkable young man & the country is
poorer for his loss. :(

I'm sorry for taking that cheap shot....

Let me change my statement. I rushed to judgement.

He's is GOING TO BE AN OVERPAID whiny athlete...

Soledad
04-23-2004, 08:07 PM
I thought it was pretty remarkable that not only was Tillman an athlete, but he was pretty darn smart as well! He had a 3.84 grade average and was working on two degrees. What a guy.

mugsy
04-23-2004, 08:30 PM
He was a classy guy that's for sure! He was a true American hero....however, there are hundreds more that have made the ultimate sacrifice in the war on terror....let us not forget them.

RIP....you will be missed...along with all of your other fallen comrades.

Soledad
04-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Agreed, Mugsy. But I think what's so great about Tillman is that he chose to give up millions and join. Not sure how many people, unlisted or not, would have made that same decision.

mugsy
04-23-2004, 08:39 PM
Agreed Soledad. He was an impressive individual....too bad more of these gifted young athletes don't feel the same way. I feel sorry for his young wife. I read on Richard's thread that he elisted right after they got back from their honeymoon.

Jim Rome dedicated his entire show today to Tillman. It was a good, but, depressing, show today.

RICHARD
04-23-2004, 08:48 PM
CM,

I do not mean to hijack the thread.

Liz,

Manning's father played for the Saints and got creamed his whole career. It was circulated that his dad went to the San DIego team and told them not to bother drafting Eli.

In another news report, Dad Manning told the reporter that he never pushed his kids to play. But, the rumor mill has it that Dad didn't want poor Eli to get stuck on a sucky team....he wants Eli to go to a team where he has a "chance" to win....

I wish my dad had that much juice.

I am sure that Dad Tillman. had he chance, would have gone to the Army and ask that his son be setup in a nice desk job, away from the war and the ambush that took his life......

Tillman walked on to the college team and told them he would play.....he did and made it to the NFL on his own....

Poor old Eli just has his dad's name, his genes and the chutzpah to turn down a job. A job where he is wanted, will make far much more money that most of us on PT and gets a better health plan.

When the dust settles and Eli gets his contract we will sit down and figure this out-Tillman's 'starting' salary for the Army was around 18,000 dollars a year. Eli will grab around 2.5-3 million for six months work.

Let's see, One Eli Manning or a whole boatload of Army Rangers protecting my sorry ass here in the States?

Manning?? Rangers?? Manning?? Rangers??

I'm gonna have to wait until Manning takes on the Taliban.

Sarah_87
04-23-2004, 09:23 PM
regular Hello? anyoone here?:eek:

Cincy'sMom
04-23-2004, 09:36 PM
I'm sorry Richard, I did not see that you had already posted about this...I didn't mean to ovetake your thread :)

CountryWolf07
04-23-2004, 09:54 PM
It doesn't matter, you guys..

we LOST another American in the war.

Cincy'sMom
04-23-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
But I think what's so great about Tillman is that he chose to give up millions and join. Not sure how many people, unlisted or not, would have made that same decision.

I guess that was sort of my point in posting this at all. I mean no disrespect to anyone who has served their country in time of war or not, and they are all heros. But this is someone who truely did not have to serve and was already living the dream of children everywhere...being a athlete making millions. And yet he gave that up.

And I guess his sacrifice sort of puts what our military men and woman do...they certainly don't get paid like it is, but what they are doing is worth more to all of us, then a 3.6 million dollar salary.

aly
04-23-2004, 10:30 PM
As they pointed out on 20/20, Tillman's story reminds us of all the other stories that are out there that we didn't hear about. He is a public figure and a true hero so we are hearing about him more. But as we hear about him, we also remember all the other lives that were so tragically lost.

Soledad
04-23-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by CountryWolf07
It doesn't matter, you guys..

we LOST another American in the war.

I don't see what you're disputing, really. I think everyone's acknowledged that point.

There are around 600 dead at this point. There's no way to personally eulogize them all here on PetTalk.

People like Tillman are symbols. It's not fair to not expect people to talk about them specifically.

mugsy
04-23-2004, 10:56 PM
I agree Soledad, my post was based on what people were saying on Jim Rome's show today. The people that who haven't paid a bit of attention until today and didn't really seem to care that hundreds of other gave their lives too.

The more I read about him, the more impressed I am. Such sacrifices he made.....

RICHARD
04-24-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
I agree Soledad, my post was based on what people were saying on Jim Rome's show today. The people that who haven't paid a bit of attention until today and didn't really seem to care that hundreds of other gave their lives too.

The more I read about him, the more impressed I am. Such sacrifices he made.....

Some dillweed on Fox Sports by the name of Petros Papadakos made a statement on his show that went like this..

"I don't usually talk politics on my show, but we will talk about Pat Tillman. I'm not into politics, matter of fact, I have never voted in my life."

I think that was very kind of Papadakos to allow people to call his show and to say things about Tillman.

I can see why he granted no media interviews...

Jim Rome? no comment.

The Cardinals are thinking of dedicating the season to him, and retiring his number.

RICHARD
04-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Good old Eli Manning got what his daddy wanted for him.

Minutes after he was drafted by San Diego, he was traded to the New York Giants.......:rolleyes:

It's very sad that he now has to play in New York.

The traffic, the people, weather...and to think he'll probably have to live in some million dollar apartment....

That sure beats the hard ground in Afghanistan.

mugsy
04-27-2004, 07:54 AM
Well, I guess we all have our hardships we must face.

I surely hope that the draft picks take into consideration what sacrifice Pat Tillman made....

RICHARD
04-27-2004, 11:32 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/news/story?id=1790530&partnersite=espn

Some of my hope for humanity has been restored.

Catsnclay
04-27-2004, 02:19 PM
The Arizona Cardnails are dedicating the plaza around their new arena "The Pat Tillman Freedom Plaza", ASU (Arizona State University) where he played college ball, will be retiring his jersey (so will the Cardnails) and setting up a Pat Tillman Memorial Fund.

There will be several memorials here in AZ for him. The Arizona Diamondbacks (baseball) also did a tribute to him before their last game.

Even though we have never met Pat, we all feel like we know him. He spent 3 1/2 years at ASU, then went on with the Cardnials......we all followed his career and life. We were happy to see him get drafted, happy when he got married, shocked when he walked away from millions of dollars for the Army Rangers, and now very sadden that he lost his life for us. In my opinion HE is a role model........something that children & adults will look up to for a very long time.

Richard, you are so right......we have enough whinny, overpaid, over-rated young atheletes who need to stop a moment and look at Pat Tillman and his acomplishments and then be grateful for even being in professional sports today.

mugsy
05-03-2004, 08:53 PM
OMG! I watched some of the memorial for Pat Tillman today and just bawled! The worst was when a Navy Seal friend of his spoke and broke down 4 times....it's tough to see a Seal cry. Rome did a nice job and Maria Shriver was excellent too. McCain spoke and said exactly what I have thought all along. His brother-in-law took Tillman's favorite beer and opened a can and put it down while he spoke. It just got to be too much and I had to turn away.

Cincy'sMom
05-03-2004, 09:25 PM
I didn't realize that was today. I would have liked to have seen it.

RICHARD
05-04-2004, 12:42 PM
Another Tillman story...

In order to sign up for the Army, he went to a neighboring town where he would not be recognized.
He filled out the forms, took the tests and off he went.

Thinking about his story made me think-and it got me very agitated and mad.

By ignoring the press/media requests for interviews he shortchanged the world from getting to know who he was.

Unfortunately heroes are larger in death than in life.

We just have to find them before they leave.