PDA

View Full Version : AARP against rescues and shelters

ramanth
04-23-2004, 02:01 PM
*EDIT ~ UPDATE!*

AARP has seen the light!

The on-line article has been edited: The entire section about buying and breeding a dog has been deleted, and AARP has added a sidebar about the value of adopting a rescue dog, with a link to petfinder!

Many, many thanks to all of you who spoke up and made this happen! You might have saved a couple of lives today, just by writing a letter.

GREAT JOB!

Pamela

~~~~

TALK BACK! PLEASE CROSS-POST!

A rescue organization, Almost Home Dachshund Rescue, will be posting a notice on our web site home page today, encouraging readers to respond to the AARP and its recent magazine money column, which encourages AARP members NOT to obtain dogs from shelters AND to buy purebred puppies and breed them!

PLEASE ASK YOUR RESCUE GROUP TO POST A SIMILAR NOTICE ON ITS WEB SITE! We in rescue are too often silent and polite in the face of ignorant and thoughtless statements and images in magazines and newspapers and on TV, both in programs and commercials, that undermine everything we stand for and try to accomplish. It's time to speak up!

You can read the AARP article at this link: http://www.aarpmagazine.org/money/Articles/a2004-04-16-mag-refund.html

You can write a letter of protest to the editors of the magazine at [email protected].

Cinder & Smoke
04-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Grrrrrrr...

*Ugggg*...

:mad:

Just mite have to write them a note... :mad:

Kater
04-23-2004, 03:08 PM
I'd like to write a letter to the editor. Does anyone know the snail mail address for that? I'll try looking on the magazine website and I will post it if I can find it.

Oh, that didn't take long to find!
Snail Mail Addy:
AARP The Magazine
601 E St. NW
Washington DC 20049

aly
04-23-2004, 03:17 PM
I've never heard anything so ridiculously STUPID! :mad:

ramanth
04-24-2004, 06:53 AM
UPDATE!!...

AARP has seen the light!

The on-line article has been edited: The entire section about buying and breeding a dog has been deleted, and AARP has added a sidebar about the value of adopting a rescue dog, with a link to petfinder!

Many, many thanks to all of you who spoke up and made this happen! You might have saved a couple of lives today, just by writing a letter.

GREAT JOB!

Pamela

Kater
04-24-2004, 01:48 PM
What a quick response! I'm glad people spoke up!

Lixx
04-24-2004, 03:59 PM
That's great ! I'm so glad it was changed!