PDA

View Full Version : Biting Kitties

Lynette
03-07-2001, 04:41 PM
My kitty Solomon, has a biting problem. He is always biting me (and others). Its almost like he wants to play and this is how he initiates it. It would be ok if it stopped after playing started, but he continues to bite and when you push him away he comes back even more fiercly than before. Someone said it was a kitten stage, but I'm beginning to wonder. If he is feeling fiesty when everyone is sleeping, he'll bite on whatever appendage is readily available. He seems to prefer mine to everyone elses! Does anyone have this same problem? Any ideas as to how to curb this behavior? HELP!!!!

Troy
03-07-2001, 06:30 PM
Kittens (and puppies) go through this biting stage - they're like little bundles of fur and needles waiting to attack you from anywhere and everywhere in the house. How old is Solomon? If he is still in his kitten-hood I wouldn't worry - if he is past 3-4 months old then it could be a bit more of an issue. Once a kitten has got to that age he should start to calm down a little and/or recieve a little more discipline, nothing serious of course just some stern talking and perhaps placing him in the laundry/bathroom for a few mintues to cool down.

..so how old is he?

wolflady
03-07-2001, 07:00 PM
Those little needle teeth can begin to hurt after awhile! A friend of mine's cat had this problem. Is Solomon a declawed cat? Biting can be a behavioral problem after a cat has been declawed. When my friend's cat had this problem, we looked around for advice on what to do. One thing we found that was interesting was to act like you're mamma cat. When Solomon bites you, ignore him! He knows that he gets attention when he does that. If he does it again, grap him by the scruff and growl like mother cat would, instigating that it's not appropriate to bite, put him down and walk away. Try to initiate play during times he does not bite, and give him a treat. After awhile, he'll drop the biting habit and it will be pain free play time!
Good luck and let us know what happens http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

------------------
"In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats." - English proverb

annibale16
03-08-2001, 09:12 AM
I recently adopted an adult male cat who will try to bite me when I am holding him or petting him. He also shows his claws like he wants to strike. He has very sharp teeth but has never punctured me only kinda mouth bites me. I have always raised cats from kittens and have never had this problem. Is this cat afraid and is telling me to lay off or just doesn't want to be bothered?

wolflady
03-08-2001, 11:42 AM
Depending on your new cat's history, it could be a variety of reasons. Again, is this a declawed cat? Is it an older cat? Some cats simply do not like to be held (much to our dismay). He could just be frightened also. What I would do, and actually, what I am doing with the stray cat that I'm caring for under the stray program, is pick the cat up, praise him if he doesn't fuss, or become threatening and put him down and give him a treat. Soon, the cat will associate pleasantness with being held. Do this a couple of times a day, and only for a very short period of time.
Let us know how it progresses and good luck!

4 feline house
03-08-2001, 06:04 PM
I have previously posted a message with this same information, but it was quite some time ago, and it probably should be mentioned again.

Some cats bite when you pet them on their backs close to their tails or on their bellies, because this simulates the sensations they get while mating, and biting is, horrifyingly enough, a part of the mating act in cats. Both male and female, neutered or spayed cats will do this.

Pam
03-08-2001, 07:31 PM
I went through this with my cat, Andy, when he was a little kitten. He used to sleep with my daughter and she practically had to sleep totally under the covers because he was such a nibbler on any exposed body part! We really were at our wits' end when he gradually just grew out of it. I can't say that we did any one particular thing, but it just stopped. Today he is the most lovable sweet lap kitty you could ever meet. Try and hang in there. I know it's hard but hopefully it will pass. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

I_love_cats
06-08-2002, 10:21 PM
I have this problem with one of my cat, he bites when I am petting him and playing with him. I think I know why mine is bitting is because he is declawed on all four paws so that is his only defence he has. I don't know how you stop his biting bu if he isn't biting to hard maybe he wants to play and you could say no that hurts then release your hand but don't yell at him or try giving him a toy to play with instead of your hand.

treybabe
06-09-2002, 03:54 PM
It has been my experience that if you don't take action and help them from getting into the biting habit it is likely to continue into adulthood. Maybe their biting won't be as bad or as often when they grow up(or maybe worse) but the little kittens have to learn that biting is a 'no no'. I would discourage it as gently as I could (your choice there) and a definite verbal 'no, no." If they learn you are unhappy with the behavior they will get the idea and then you won't have to stop it later when they are adults and its much harder to stop. Nothing worse than having to watch your cat around visitors because she or he might bite them.
A little tough love pays off in the end. Best wishes for success.

yorkster
06-09-2002, 04:18 PM
You're right treybabe!

Start now, don't wait until he is older!
Another thing I have heard is to relax your hand (or whatever), then they naturally stop. A cats instinct is to keep fighting/attacking if you continue to struggle or move because it's like the cat is going after some prey &/or protecting itself. When you stop moving, it looses interest. AT THE SAME TIME SAY "NO!"

I did this with my now one year old kitty, and he is (almost) bite-free now
:p :)

And, very important: DON'T play with him like that, even as a kitten. If you do, then they think it's okay, and develop the bad habit. It's cute and funny when they are little sometimes, but not worth it when they get older with big teeth & claws :eek:

treybabe
06-09-2002, 09:02 PM
Yorkster, I agree that if you play with them as kittens and let them bite it will encourage the problem and make it worse later.

Message 4 U in your private messages.