PDA

View Full Version : Heebie Jeebies

gini
04-21-2004, 11:14 PM
I am in such a well deserved silly mood tonight.

Has any one ever thought of the derivation of the word Heebie Jeebies?

Well, I had the Heebie Jeebies the other day (for shame, and at my age) but it is the truth. And it made me curious where the word came from.

Google it...........and you can find out about Hoity Toity too!

popcornbird
04-21-2004, 11:20 PM
For some strange reason, this thread made me laugh so hard I nearly fell off the chair. Heebie Jeebies.............that term always makes me laugh. I find it so funny. :D:D:D

gini
04-21-2004, 11:22 PM
Hey, PCB, Heebie Jeebies are very serious:D

You haven't lived until you have had a case of them!

GoldenRetrLuver
04-21-2004, 11:22 PM
LOL! I haven't heard the words "Heebie Jeebies" in soo long! :p
Haha, I'll check out Google. :D

popcornbird
04-21-2004, 11:53 PM
I googled it, and here's what I got!

http://www.quinion.com/words/qa/qa-hee1.htm

HEEBIE-JEEBIES
[Q] From A Jaye Costine: “Would you know the origin of heebie-jeebies, for a state of nervous depression or anxiety?”
[A] It seems pretty certain that it was invented about 1923 by the American cartoonist Billy De Beck. Its first appearance was in one of his Barney Google cartoons in the New York American on 26 October 1923, though there it was spelled heeby-jeeby. Where it came from, apart from his fevered imagination, is open to question. There was a dance at about the same time, and a song in 1926, both said to have originated from Native American witch-doctor chants before human sacrifices. But the dance and the song both seem to be later than the first appearance of the phrase. Mr De Beck, by the way, is also known for other bits of now obsolescent or obsolete slang, such as hotsy-totsy and horsefeathers. But heebie-jeebies has survived to become part of the standard language.

:D:D:D I think I might have a different thought about where this term is derived from. :p He he he

gini
04-22-2004, 12:07 AM
Isn't Google divine?

I just loved it when I found the same response right away.

But it didn't make my Heebie Jeebies go away:D

popcornbird
04-22-2004, 12:08 AM
It GAVE me the Heebie Jeebies! :D Thanks a lot Gini! He he! You're too funny!

Miss Meow
04-22-2004, 12:19 AM
I love funny words!

I heard someone on the radio use BALLYHOO! the other day. I'm dying to find a way to use it in a sentence now :D

gini
04-22-2004, 12:24 AM
"There was much ballyhooing at Thursdays #51 I hear."

????

RICHARD
04-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
I love funny words!

I heard someone on the radio use BALLYHOO! the other day. I'm dying to find a way to use it in a sentence now :D

I awoke to find one of my cats sleeping on my Bally, Hoo could it be?