PDA

View Full Version : Okay, now I'm aggravated!

adamjai
04-21-2004, 01:31 PM
I started a thread earlier about how I have a stray kitty who has a little messy backside problem and after reading everyone's responses decided to take her to the vet.

So I called the vet and explained the situation and they told me that they'll only take care of medical problems, and that they'll look her over and make sure she's okay but they won't help clean her.

So I called the groomers and they said they'd be happy to clean her but not unless she's had her shots. Being as that she's a stray I can't prove that she has, but I can't really take her in to the vet for shots the way she is! The vet said that it would bother me more than her, but I don't think she's thought about how I'd have a scared, messy kitty in my house until I could take her in, and then I'd have a scared, messy kitty in my car and in the office, and then back in the car to the groomers! Come on!

Anyway, I'm done with my rant now. Any suggestions?

sirrahbed
04-21-2004, 01:43 PM
I do not have any real help to offer..... but mostly I just wanted to offer my sympathy for what THAT is worth:( I can share your frustration!!!
hmmmm....it does sound like a visit to both the vet and the groomer *may* be necessary and both will require taking a messy and scared kitty in the car....perhaps that first visit will need to be to the vet where they can check the messy backside - *and* give shots if you chose to go that route. They are going to have to do a bit of cleaning in order to see what is wrong!! Once you leave, you will KNOW...and can then go to the groomers to get the needed clipping if that is all that is needed. If the vet does discover something medical, then I would guess they would proceed to take care of the whole job wouldn't they?? Soooo...sounds like the vet really has to be the first place to go. Could you maybe try calling several vets and see if another might be a bit more....helpful??
You are being so kind in wanting to help this little cat and I am so sorry about the frustrastion and aggravation!

Hope you get some good advice here - beyond my ideas!!

PayItForward
04-21-2004, 02:32 PM
I agree with Debbie place cat in cage and take to the vets.

It is not like it is your cat, who you have let get in a state he is a rescue...just take him in.... the vets will cope just fine.

K & L
04-21-2004, 02:58 PM
Sounds to me you need a new vet! Our vets have the resources to at least shave the bottom area and get that mess off of there. We also have groomers that do not require shots, you might want to check around with some other ones, if that's an option where you live.

adamjai
04-21-2004, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the sympathy votes! I've called to all of the groomers in my little area, and they all require shots, and I don't blame them.

I'd like to take the kitty in, but since she's not *definitely* had her shots they'll want to give those to her, which is fine, but I don't have the money for that right now. In a couple weeks, fine, but I can't let her go like this for the next two weeks. I think I'll try to give her a bath tonight, she is a very sweet kitty so far and if it looks like it will be too tragic then I'll just put her back outside and somehow get her to the vet sooner than planned.

I usually love my vet, and I didn't speak to her personally but her office assistant. I can't believe she would be so weird about helping out a stray kitty!:mad: Unfortunately I don't have a lot of options where I live. Like I said, I'll try my best to help her and if I can't do it I'll have to figure something else out. Should be an interesting evening! Wish me luck!

K & L
04-21-2004, 03:28 PM
You really need to get this off her behind. If it remains on her any length of time, flies will lay larvae and magots will bury in her. Do you have any low-cost clinics in your area. Here's a website that may help:

http://www.saveourstrays.com/no-kill.htm

carole
04-21-2004, 03:35 PM
I was just about to say the same thing, yes get her cleaned up as soon as possible, obviously kitty is not well, and needs vet attention, as cats are such good groomers as we all know, if you leave it too long kitty could be in a more serious condition, good luck and thank you for caring, its people like you who make this world a better place.:)

PayItForward
04-21-2004, 03:46 PM
If you are short of cash take the cat to a non-kill shelter, they will pay for the treatment and when the cat is well they re-home her.

You can not let the cat suffer because you are short of cash :(

Other suggestions :-

: Ask if vet will accept a series of weekly payments for treatment.

: Borrow the money

sirrahbed
04-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Just here to send more well wishes. Sometimes, a thread will get on my nerves - and this one has done it! Suppose a cat, dog, even person is possibly injured and goes to the hospital or ER but the wounded area is all dirty and yucky - are the medical people going to say "oh you need to go to a groomer, bath house, go back home first etc and get cleaned up before we can see what is wrong!" Hopefully the vet would have been more helpful than the lady who answered the phone!!

Hope it goes well tonight. I have a cat with stinky butt syndrome and he gets frequent "buttbaths" (no comments out there!!) and essentially I just fill a nice very warm tub and lower the kitty butt side down into the tub and let him soak a bit. A really squirming kitty does well wrapped tightly in a towel "cat burrito" - the warm water makes them relax and surely the warm soak will loosen the biggest part of the mess. I have even used shampoo right through the towel at times and used the towel to do the dirty work - then swish swish, fresh towel, etc. Maybe even have some scissors handy to snip away some fur and matts if possible?? I would bet the cat will be ever so much more comfortable and happy when this is done for her!! Poor little thing!:mad:

THANK YOU for doing what you can to help her!:)

catmandu
04-22-2004, 09:21 AM
That sounds like a Vet , that doesnt wantyour trade! My Vet knows that when JJJ3 visits , that he will have a messy bum , but that is all right , they take him in , and wash him , no problem , except for the yells , of indignation , from a certain Singing Cat!