PDA

View Full Version : The lovely 1980's

Tonya
04-21-2004, 12:49 PM
We're throwing a 1980's party on May 29th. I would love to start a flashback thread to help me out.....

Tonya
04-21-2004, 12:49 PM
*Blondie
*Starship
*leg warmers
*Izod shirts with the collar up

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Duran Duran
Miami Vice
Tiffany
Rick Astley
Nick Kershaw
Kajagoogoo
WHAM
Boy George / Culture Club
BIG Earrings
BIG Hair
Too much blush
Purple false nails
colour combinations like Purple & Yelloe; Cerise Pink and Yellow
Tight leggings and HUGE pull-overs

OMG I'm blushing just thinging about it!!!!!

dukedogsmom
04-21-2004, 02:27 PM
And Madonna came out in the 80's. I've got one of her first cds with all the hits and they seque into each other. It's still one of my favorite cds. If you would like, I can burn you a copy and mail it or at least tell you the name so you could get it. And weren't Depeche Mode the 80's? They were one of my favorite groups. Also, Information Society. Got that cd too. I'll have to go through them to suggest more. For the hair. lots of hairspray! I remember that I had my hair sprayed so much that I could lift one hair and it would all come up as one piece. Oh, and video/pinball games. I spent a lot of my free time in the game room. Had a blast.

Holly's mom
04-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
And Madonna came out in the 80's. I've got one of her first cds with all the hits and they seque into each other. It's still one of my favorite cds. If you would like, I can burn you a copy and mail it or at least tell you the name so you could get it. And weren't Depeche Mode the 80's? They were one of my favorite groups. Also, Information Society. Got that cd too. I'll have to go through them to suggest more. For the hair. lots of hairspray! I remember that I had my hair sprayed so much that I could lift one hair and it would all come up as one piece. Oh, and video/pinball games. I spent a lot of my free time in the game room. Had a blast.

Oh, yes, the hair spray!!:D How well I remember the hair spray days. I remember one time I was out with a bunch of girl friends at a bar, and she accidentally was pushed into me and she hit my heavily hair-sprayed head. She kept trying to tell me that she cut her lip on my hair!! lol

primabella
04-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Have you ever seen "I Love the 80's" on vh1? It's really great for a flashback on all the stuff that went on during the 80's. I'm sure if you checked out their webpage, they'd have some info on it. :) Sounds like a fun idea for a party.

Karen
04-21-2004, 09:55 PM
BIG hair - later in the '80s, long spiral perms, too. Egads - not me, thankfully (nm,t), but everyone around me ...
Awful cowl neck sweaters ... (nm,t)
Preppy became really "in" for a while ...
"Sun in" hair stuff ... (nm,t)
Tanning was trés fashionable ... (nm,t)
Eeeew - stretchy fabrics printed to look like denim - so one could have skin-tight "jeans" (nm,t)
Velour (nm,t)
Rhinestones (nm,t)
"Dallas" was big (nm,t)

captain
04-21-2004, 09:57 PM
80's - loved the 80's. When we eventually have a house warming party, the theme is going to be 80's (Miss Meow, you have been warned!!!)

Spandau Ballet
Talk Talk
Thompson Twins
Bangles
Pet Shop Boys
A-Ha
I have so many songs from the 80's. Want me to send you a list to help you along???

Bubble skirts!!!
Plastic bangles (oh hang on, arent they coming back!!?)
Those awful rouched dresses
Stonewash jeans (that were so tight, you had to LIE DOWN to zip them up!)

Movies
St Elmo's Fire
Top Gun
Girls Just want to have fun

Oooooooo - gonna have to go and play some music now!!

All Creatures Great And Small
04-22-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by captain

Those awful rouched dresses

You mean the ones that were sort of scrunched up in the middle, like tube top fabric? I remember dresses having an awful lot of ruffles and HUGE bows back then too. I have a picture of my sister's wedding from 1988 that just SCREAMS 1980's - giant bows, metallic fabric, and tall, scary, laquered hair on most of us!

I remember swooning over Tom Selleck in "Magnum, P.I" - never missed an episode! "Cheers", too. Wasn't "The Facts Of Life" from the 80's too? I watched that one religiously (hee hee)

That HORRIBLE movie The Breakfast Club, and Molly Ringwald in EVERY movie in the 80's (LOL)

Ghostbusters!

Purple Rain - I'm embarrassed to say I LOVED that movie back in the 80's :o

Adam Ant
The Go-Go's
Wang Chung
Stray Cats
Bow Wow Wow ("I want candy!")
Madness ("our house - in the middle of our street")
Cindy Lauper
Prince and all his various cheesy girl groups (Apollonia, Vanity 6)

That whole "We Are The World" thing, when Michael Jackson was still worth listening to - :rolleyes:

I'm with captain - gotta go listen to my 80's CD's!

captain
04-25-2004, 07:11 PM
I found this on the web ..........

http://www.yetanotherdot.com/asp/80s.html

It is a worry that I can answer most of them!!!!

Have Fun

guster girl
04-25-2004, 07:41 PM
I remember side ponytails.....spandex shorts under skirts..... leg warmers..... checkered Vans.....mullets..... Cindy Lauper.... jeri curls..... and, I don't know if anyone else called it "pegging" your jeans, but, where you would pinch the leg of the jeans together at the bottom, fold it over, and, then roll it up a couple of times.... with two or three pairs of colored socks, and, Keds. Ugh. Were hypercolor shirts 80s or 90s? :) Umm....also, Growing Pains...The Cosby Show (I think those were the 80s)...Van Halen...the Coreys (Haim and Feldman...The Goonies....Risky Business.....The Bangles...Bananarama....The Karate Kid....the Flock of Seagulls haircuts....Metallica.....

Twisterdog
04-25-2004, 09:26 PM

Have Fun

Yeah, no kidding ... a big worry.

I got a 176 on that ... "80's are my life." Yikes.

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-26-2004, 12:25 AM
Hey, I scored 113....scarey stuff!!!! Now all I need to do is get all these really bad '80's lyrics out of my head!!!

LoudLou
04-26-2004, 02:08 AM
Some cool 80's stuff...

http://www.tripletsandus.com/80s/memories.htm

delidog
04-26-2004, 09:04 PM
My Personal Favorite:

"The I Hate Preppy Handbook"
Used Daily when living in Connecticut!!!

Shoulder Pads....Thanks Dynasty!!!!

Music:
Modern English
The Damned
Lloyd Cole & the Commotions
Mick Jagger "Primitive Cool"
Guns n Roses "Appetite for Destruction"
Midnight Oil
REM
Lou Reed (Comeback)
The Smithereens
Dire Straits
Squeeze
The Pretenders
Natalie Merchant & Her band (memory fading)

Will think of more....I am Sure!!

lovemyshiba
04-26-2004, 10:08 PM

Have Fun

That was fun, but harder than I thought!! Then again, it was 2 am when I was trying to do it--you should have seen me sitting in my living room while everyone else was asleep singing all of these songs:D