PDA

View Full Version : Yap, Yap, Yap

Logan
04-21-2004, 09:00 AM
This came from the HSUS newletter. I thought it was a good article on controlling barking dogs.

If you ever wonder if your dog's bark is worse than his proverbial bite, the answer may lie no further than your next-door neighbor. Some canine behavior problems, such as house soiling, affect only a dog's family. But problems such as escaping and excessive barking can result in neighborhood disputes and violations of animal control ordinances, and that means problems with your pet can soon become "people problems."
Learn Why Your Dog Barks

If your dog's "talkative nature" has created tension with your neighbors, then it's a good idea to discuss the problem with them. It's perfectly normal and reasonable for dogs to bark from time to time, just as children make noise when they play outside. But continual barking for long periods of time is a symptom of a problem that needs addressing—from the perspective of your neighbors and your dog.

The first thing to do is determine when and for how long your dog barks, and what causes him to bark. You may need to do some clever detective work to obtain this information, especially if the barking occurs when you're not home. Ask your neighbors what they see and hear, drive or walk around the block and watch and listen for a while, or start a tape recorder or video camera when you leave for work. With a little effort you should be able to find out which of the common problems discussed below is the cause of your dog's barking.

Social Isolation/Frustration/Attention-Seeking

Your dog may be barking out of boredom and loneliness if:

He's left alone for long periods of time without opportunities to interact with you.

His environment is relatively barren, without companions or toys.

He's a puppy or adolescent (under three years old) and doesn't have other outlets for his energy.

He's a particularly active type of dog (like the herding or sporting breeds) who needs to be occupied to be happy.
Recommendations:

Expand your dog's world and increase his "people time" in the following ways:

Walk your dog at least twice daily—it's good exercise, both mental and physical. Walks should not only be considered "potty breaks."

Teach your dog to fetch a ball or Frisbee® and practice with him as often as possible.

Teach your dog a few commands and/or tricks and practice them every day for five to ten minutes.

Take a dog-training class with your dog. This allows you and your dog to work together toward a common goal.

To help fill the hours that you're not home, provide safe, interesting toys to keep your dog busy, such as Kong®-type toys filled with treats or busy-box toys. Rotating the toys will make them seem new and interesting.

If your dog is barking to get your attention, make sure he has sufficient time with you on a daily basis (petting, grooming, playing, exercising).

Keep your dog inside when you're unable to supervise him.

Let your neighbors know that you are actively working on the problem.

If your dog is well socialized and you have your employer's permission, take your dog to work with you every now and then.

When you have to leave your dog for extended periods of time, take him to a "doggie day care center," hire a pet sitter or dog walker, or have a trusted friend or neighbor walk and play with him.

anna_66
04-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Luckily none of mine are the annoying type of barkers, they only bark if need be.

What an informative post Logan, I'm sure alot of people will learn from it. Thanks!

DogLover9501
04-21-2004, 10:31 AM
Glad mine are also not annoying barkers, Piddle is an annoying barker if a stranger comes in :rolleyes: he hides under the table or chair so we can't get him and barks away:rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing!

teenster3
04-21-2004, 11:45 PM
LOGAN,
Thanks for sharing this information! I have posted a poll on this specific topic. My dogs bark every time someone comes over to our house. They also bark when they are outside and hear people on the other side of our fence. Unfortunately, it is impossible for me to discuss "the issue" with our neighbors because, we've had problems with them as well. We just moved into our house last year and live next to some 4-plex apartments. Now, I'm sure there are some decent people that live there. However, my problem has been with the girl next door and her little boy sticking his hands in our fence. We have a wooden fence but some pieces have been disappearing and he walks along the other side causing trouble. I have discussed this issue with his mom only to be cursed at by her. Also, there are 2 buildings behind us that although I bring my dogs inside when I hear them barking, the people that live there seem to enjoy giving us grief about them barking when they are outdoors. I guess there are some individuals which you will never please....and I have run into some of them. I mean, dogs do bark right? They are kept indoors while my husband and I are at work and as soon as I get home they are let out to go potty and have their playtime. I guess I just don't see the problem with the outside issue. I do have people complain when they come into our house and they bark consistently at them. They too have the habit of "hiding" where we can't reach them and barking non-stop. :mad: I can't stay mad at them for long though...they're still my babies. :)

Logan
04-22-2004, 08:03 AM
Teenster, I have 4 dogs, and they do bark at times. I do my best, like you, to keep them indoors as much as possible and they are always inside at night, so I know they are not able to bother anyone, except us on occasion. :p Thankfully, I have good neighbors and no one has ever complained, but I'm sure some of the golfers that they "greet" with their barks wish they would be quiet! LOL!!! Honey, especially, has probably messed up a few putts since we have lived on this golf course!!! :o