PDA

View Full Version : Cat Behavior

fuzzknot
08-19-2001, 07:20 PM
I have 3 dogs and 2 cats. My problem involves the cats. Lucy is an older, spayed calico. Zeke is a kitten, approx. 5 mos. old. Lucy is the kind of cat who does not like change; she's quite territorial, and doesn't like change. She's a very sweet, lovable cat, but lately she's had too much change. First, we "babysat" my son's dog and her litter of 4 month old puppies. Although they were outside, it still upset Lucy. Then we adopted Zeke. (We don't have the puppies any more, but my son has moved back home and his dog has come with him, which actually means that now we have 4 dogs in the house. We didn't want to leave her outside all alone, while all of our pets are in the house.) Then we were flooded, rescued by a boat and sheltered. (all the animals sheltered with us) We came home to a soggy, smelly house, and lots of strangers tramping through removing the debris and helping to clean up, etc. Lucy is having a very difficult time. Zeke is a normal energetic kitten, but he's quite aggressive, and he and Lucy don't get along. Such growling, hissing and spanking, I have never seen. I thought that when things settled down a little, that Lucy would adapt, but now she spends most of her time alone and won't even let me hold her very much. Sometimes she comes for her "cuddles", but most of the time I have to look for her. If I pick her up and she doesn't want held, she'll get down and walk away. I don't know if cats can get depressed, but she shows all the signs of it. In the meantime, Zeke lurks, waiting for a dog or cat to walk by so he can harrass them. He's very playful. He has toys to play with, but he really prefers to chase the other animals. The dogs don't seem to mind, but Lucy is really having a rough time. When Zeke decides to be "good" for awhile, he does have a very sweet side, and I think he'll be ok if he ever settles down and quits biting us, and harrassing the other animals. How can I help Lucy to adapt to the changes in her environment, and also help Zeke to settle down. Should he become less aggressive after he is neutered?

4 feline house
08-19-2001, 09:47 PM
Yes, cats can certainly get depressed. Bless Lucy's little heart, she's been through so much. Having just come through a disaster, your finances may not handle a vet visit, but if you can swing it, I'd take her for a visit. She sounds like she needs some medication to get her through the rough time, that is if you're not opposed to giving your pets mood-altering drugs (they are quite safe, but of course your vet would know best). It sounds as if your whole family, pets too, need some prayer. I will put y'all on my list.

fuzzknot
08-20-2001, 07:05 PM
Thank you very much for your reply. I'm truly thankful that the first reply to this question is another person who believes in the power of prayer! Thank you so much for including us on your list. God bless you. I will certainly consider your advice just as soon as our finances can handle it. I never have had animals on this type of medication, but I would certainly consider it.

AvaJoy
08-20-2001, 09:24 PM
Gosh, what a tumultuous experience! :( Cats are sensitive creatures, so it is understandable that Lucy is feeling out of sorts during this trying time. Neutering Zeke should tone down his aggression considerably, and he may then cease terrorizing poor Lucy, as well as the dogs. I hope things will soon return to normalcy for you and your family.

[ August 20, 2001: Message edited by: AvaJoy ]

fuzzknot
08-23-2001, 09:41 PM
Dear old Zeke will be losing his "manhood" soon, we hope. I'm really hoping that this will indeed help him to settle down. He's really a sweet guy, but, boy, does he love to harrass!

4 feline house
08-24-2001, 01:22 PM
"manhood" :eek: :D hehe!

yorkster
08-24-2001, 10:20 PM
Wow, you have had a lot happen to you lately! No wonder your cat is stressed. I am sure when your kitten is fixed, he will calm down some. My kitten did (just a little though). He is still a KITTEN though, so it might be awhile for that to happen. Kittens are just kittens...........All the turmoil might be having an affect on the kitten too. Cats are like people and they all react differently. In the meantime you should probably take your older cat to the vet just to see if she is healthy and maybe see if there is any meds that can help for awhile. Good luck, and let us know how things go.