PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to the UK

NoahsMommy
04-21-2004, 02:34 AM
Anyone from the US travel to London? We're booking a trip for next May and my job is to find the best airline. So far, the only ones I really like are British Airways and Vigin...they have a Premier class that isn't Coach, but isn't First class either. That is what we want, most other airlines have Coach, Business and First...for what Business class costs, I wont even look at what what First would. eeeep!

Anyone have any experience here?

dukedogsmom
04-21-2004, 07:45 AM
Go with Virgin Atlantic a friend of mine from work says. She says they had the best deal. She also says the seats are bigger and the food is excellant. And, each seat has it's own tv! I would love to go to England. My mom has been and said she would love to live over there.

Rio and Me
04-21-2004, 07:59 AM
Sorry no info because i dont fly anywhere,lol
But where abouts are you going? london and anywhere else?
KY

Edwina's Secretary
04-21-2004, 09:56 AM
I go on either United or American. But it is usually business travel.

All Creatures Great And Small
04-21-2004, 11:32 AM
Well, I had one bad experience on British Airways, and my sister had an awful "air rage" experience on Virgin Airways, so we are biased against those two. I have flown over there on BA, TWA, UA, and AA so far - I like United and American just fine. The food and service were pretty much the same on all of them; I just went with whoever could get me the absolute lowest fare. Some of the planes on United and American had the TV in the seats; some didn't - no way to tell which plane you'll get.

Just for poops and grins, I looked up what it would cost to fly British Airways in their top class, whatever it's called, where the seats actually fold down completely flat so you can sleep the whole way there - if I remember correctly, the fare for each person was over $10,000!!!!! A little too much to pay just to get a good night's sleep! Someday when I'm rich and famous though........:p

NoahsMommy
04-21-2004, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the info! :)

All Creatures: Yea, I did a few "reservations" for four adults just on Business Class and the total was over $26,000....that's almost a Mini for me! I'd rather have the car. ;)

But....with my lovely health condition, I can't be all sqwished into a coach seat for a hundred hours. We're going to upgrade so I can at least have some extra space.

Dukedogsmom: Thanks! That's the one I'm leaning towards. :)

Rio and Me: Well, we plan on being in the UK for at least 10 days. Half that time, we're staying (hotel-wise) in London, the other half might be a hotel in Bath/Cotswalds. Not totally sure yet. We are going May 2005 so we can attend the Chelsea Flower Festival...my mom is an avid gardener. ;) We want to see a lot of England. Where do you live in relation to where we'll be?

popcornbird
04-21-2004, 12:10 PM
I have travelled to London from the US, many, many times. From my experience, Virgin Atlantic is the best. They have excellent service...........and I love the video games they have at every seat. :p The airline is great in general. I have never been on British Airways. United is *ok* but it doesn't even come close to comparing to Virgin Atlantic. The only thing I don't like about it are the colors of their seats..............red, orange, blue........TOO BRIGHT! :eek: That doesn't really matter though. ;)

NoahsMommy
04-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Pops, what class do you normally go on Virgin? Is there a lot of room? How many people sit in a row?

Miss Meow
04-21-2004, 04:50 PM
I think Singapore Airlines won the best airline in the world award recently, so they might be worth a look if they fly your route.

Would purchasing three seats in economy class be cheaper than business? That way you'd have an extra seat guaranteed and you can remove the armrest. Or the seats behind the bulkhead have lots more legroom. Hell, what am I saying, go business!

carole
04-21-2004, 08:40 PM
Do lufthansa fly direct to London from America, my son just flew with them from LA to Frankfurt, I have not heard if they are good or not, but I have heard great things about Virgin, real funky crew I am told, so sounds your best bet.

popcornbird
04-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
Pops, what class do you normally go on Virgin? Is there a lot of room? How many people sit in a row?

Well I can't say there is a lot of room. Just like any other airline. Flying is never comfortable unless you go on first class! :p I have always wondered why they make the plane seats so small and uncomfortable. Its especially bad if you don't get seats with family members because then you can't really lean to the side as you would worry about annoying the stranger sitting next to you. :p Its ok though........not bad. Seats are like that with pretty much every airline. We fly on economy class......and the plane we flew on had 10 seats in each row (3 with window, 4 in the middle, and 3 on the other window side). The amount of seats depends on the airplane model though........I think. It may have a different number of seats if its a jumbo jet vs. an airbus, etc. The only airline I have been on that had spacious seats was Emirates.......which won airline of the year several years in a row. Its an excellent airline..........EXCELLENT. I've flown on it several times and give it a thumbs up for each flight. Unfortunately, it doesn't fly from the US yet, but I heard its coming to the US soon.

carole
04-21-2004, 09:20 PM
Emirates have been in NZ for a little while now, and I have heard only good things about them.
My Uncle always flys first class Bristish Airways from Scotland, but he chose Emirates this time, so they have to be good, as he likes only the best.

Karen
04-21-2004, 09:36 PM
We (group from my office) once booked with Continental, paid Continental, but flew Virgin Atlantic. This was done through http://gotoday.com The seats were back in Economy ... not a lot of leg room ... but you could try to get the seats at the front of the section, if you book early, and that always means more legroom. My very tall friend Tony (he's 6 foot 2 or 3 or something) ended up changing seats because the elderly woman in front of him (probably 4-foot 11 inches, 85 pounds soaking wet) immediately tilted her seat all the way back and fell asleep. He basically couldn't breathe - but the flight attendant was quick to reseat him, which was nice.

You have some time, try all the discount places, just in case!

We (Paul and I) flew over with US Air - not to be recommended. Our flight from Boston to Philadelphia to get the connecting flight to London was delayed, we were told our connecting flight would be held for us, raced literally as fast as I could go through the airport ... to find out it had just left. With no apology from the people behind the desk. So we had to hang out at the airport for 5 or so hours for the next available flight ... not fun.

Rio and Me
04-22-2004, 04:35 AM
Well I live in Cornwall which is way down the bottom very far from london, (never been london,lol) but Bath is really pretty.
i hope you enjoy it here, and the people are nice to you,lol, and i hope you get the "good" weather,lol its not to good today
Ky and Rio