PDA

View Full Version : Downrating Threads

Kfamr
04-20-2004, 06:19 PM
It's really not funny or amusing. I may/may not get flamed for this, if I do... oh well.. :(

I'm sick of coming to check my threads and having them at "one stars." I could understand if it's a controversial subject, but these are threads of me sharing pictures, me sharing stories, and me sharing happiness. Other's threads as well.
Of course, most of us rate the thread right back up to 5 stars.
It's still very obnoxious and immature.

Whoever you, or you all are -- please just grow up and STOP. It's getting very old now, and as it may give you a little high or hype, we've lost members from such a thing.

Grow up, please -- and bring PT back to the normal, loving place it once used to be.

*edit* I just wanted to edit and add that I don't want this to turn into a argument, so please don't make it that way.

primabella
04-20-2004, 06:40 PM
Is there any way to just get rid of the rating thing on this forum?

Kfamr
04-20-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by primabella
Is there any way to just get rid of the rating thing on this forum?

That'd be nice, but I'm not sure if it's possible since I think it's a part of the system?

(I love your new sig, btw);)

guster girl
04-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Is there not a way that they can set it up where it tells you who rated the thread? People might be less likely to rate negatively if their anonymity was removed.

primabella
04-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
That'd be nice, but I'm not sure if it's possible since I think it's a part of the system?

(I love your new sig, btw);)

I figured that it was part of the system. Argh. I'm not a fan of rating threads...Guster Girl has a good point though.

And thanks about my sig! :)

popcornbird
04-20-2004, 06:50 PM
I think its ridiculous that people go around down-rating threads. I can see someone did it to this thread too. :rolleyes: Just ignore it...........I don't even care when people do it to mine anymore. Someone always does it to mine.......Funny they think they can accomplish something by doing that.

carole
04-20-2004, 06:53 PM
Jeepers I don't even know how to rate a thread, but I surely cannot see a point to it, I just enjoy the thread for what it is, silly to rate them anyhow IMO.

bluekat
04-20-2004, 06:55 PM
I know...its so annoying. I would feel very hurt too if this was happening to me. And its been happening for awhile now.
I hope whoever is doing that would just stop, its very immature.:rolleyes:

Kfamr
04-20-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by guster girl
Is there not a way that they can set it up where it tells you who rated the thread? People might be less likely to rate negatively if their anonymity was removed.

That's a good idea too -- I really think it'd stop him/her/them/whoever!

Kfamr
04-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Imagine that! Down-rating on the down-rating thread! :rolleyes:

lizbud
04-20-2004, 07:01 PM
It would be nice if it could be made so that people couldn't
rate a thread unless they also posted to it.

I'm sorry that there are some very immature & spiteful folks
around, but that's life I guess. :rolleyes:They must do it just to tick you off. Ignore that nonsense.

Desert Arabian
04-20-2004, 07:10 PM
Losers. Pure losers. It's sad that their life is so lame they have to sit around and do such pathetic things to get a kick....

Don't worry about it, Kay! ;) There, I gave you 5! TEE HEE

GoldenRetrLuver
04-20-2004, 07:19 PM
Pure immaturity. Seriously, what satisfaction could you get from downrating a thread?! :rolleyes:

I rated this thread a 5. MWAHA! ;)

Corinna
04-20-2004, 08:04 PM
I never rate a thread or pay attention to it. I read then decide if I'll keep checking it or not. I think diffferent that most of the posters .

Denyce
04-20-2004, 08:19 PM
I don't know how to rate the threads nor would I take the time to do so. I read a thread based upon the title and if it sounds interesting. I also don't understand how you get the little faces and such on the left side of the threads. But then I don't really care about that either.:)

Denyce

Twisterdog
04-20-2004, 08:20 PM
I never look at the ratings for any thread. It's just not something I've ever paid attention to. I decide to read and/or follow a thread based on my opinion of the topic, not based on the rating others give.

If it's causing hard feelings, though, I agree: maybe it should be disabled. Surely we are all capable of choosing what to read or not read without having to look at a bunch of little stars.

CathyBogart
04-20-2004, 08:21 PM
So uh...just ignore it if it bugs you! I don't think anybody's going to *not check* a thread based on its rating, so......why does it really matter? You're just giving whoever it is what they want by making a point of it. :)

Kfamr
04-20-2004, 08:25 PM
I'm not the only one it bugs, and it's not easy just to ignore something so irritating. Especially when you think you're doing something good - sharing joys in your life.

As I said, we've lost members from it.. so it's obviously something not easy to ignore.

Holly's mom
04-20-2004, 08:36 PM
I never rate a thread, and don't intend to. Actually, I wasn't even looking at the ratings until this issue came up. I don't see what the purpose of rating is, anyway.

Kayann, I think all your threads are great, and whoever is doing this knows it bugs you immensely, so that's probably why they are doing it. Just don't give them the satisfaction and it will hopefully stop.

Kfamr
04-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks Holly's Mom.

It just bothered me more this time since I went in dog General to see both threads that were on page 1 with 1 stars, and a few days ago the same.

It's rather irritating, if someone just doesn't like me or my threads THAT much, then don't look at them.

slleipnir
04-20-2004, 09:26 PM
Hah, downrating the downrating thread XD Ok, I duno why that ammuses me..

Anyway, I agree, it is very immature to downrate threads - and just annoying.

It use to bug me a lot too, but I just ignore it now..I'd just ignore them completely and eventually they'll get bored with it (assuming its the same person..)

I'm kinda wondering fi there should be a rating at all? I mean, unless you get a good rating, your feelings are hurt right? so why bother having them..............

Miss Meow
04-20-2004, 09:37 PM
I think it's sad when people give threads one star. It's like the electronic form of backstabbing. Hurtful, and doesn't do anybody any good.

green_chameleon_girl
04-20-2004, 09:43 PM
I agree with you 100% Kay! People should not be downrating threads. I also think we should have ratings removed! It is immature to downrate threads. I used to rate threads but never below a 4 ---EVER. But I stopped before it became a problem, and I promise I will never downrate a thread:)!! So as Kay said whoever is doing this should stop..

molucass
04-20-2004, 09:51 PM
I don't really even bother to rate threads, mainly because I usually forget... but it doesnt really bother me much what the ratings on my threads are..

What peeves me is that there are other people that can post pics of their pets and get TONS of replies, and yet when I post pics of mine, I may get 3-6... :rolleyes: That's what will make your feelings be hurt!! :(

Blustang24
04-20-2004, 10:00 PM
I'm sure there is a way to get rid of ratings, and think it should also be done. I also think there should/could be a way to find out who is dorating threads. I think a suspension or a complete expulsion from pet talk might make them think twice about doing it for sh!ts and giggles again. It seems as though some, not all, just some of the youngest crowd is ruining a lot of the whole meaning of pet talk. I think they need to move on to their own little chat rooms and talk amoungst people of their own age and mentality. :)

Kfamr
04-20-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by molucass
:rolleyes: That's what will make your feelings be hurt!! :(

Sorry you feel that way, but that's another thread, another time!

Shelteez2
04-21-2004, 12:47 AM
I don't even notice the ratings until I'm reading a thread and someone has put "oh the one star bandit struck again" or something similar. Then I'm like "huh?" and realize what they are referring to.

aly
04-21-2004, 01:02 AM
Whoa, I don't think people should be banned from PT for giving low ratings - that is a bit harsh.

I agree that ignoring the person/people will probably make them stop. Most of the time people do things is for the reaction they get.

I do understand how much it sucks though when someone gives you a 1 star on a picture thread.

Its probably just 1 or 2 people, Kay. Don't let it get to you too much :)

sasvermont
04-21-2004, 06:03 AM
I don't think this topic is worth all the worry. The fact that we all post "what we want to post" allows us to not care much what the general public reads. I never look at the ratings, as I am an independent thinker and will judge for myself, as to what I think is worthy of my attention. I am surprised so many folks get upset over things like ratings on a post.

I think this thread is an exercise....in what, I am not sure.

Don't worry about ratings, just keep on posting and get on with it!

catnapper
04-21-2004, 06:25 AM
I think it purely a pathetic person that does this - yes, this spineless jerk who can't even step forward to say "I did it" is pathetic.

If they stepped forward and explained WHY , then perhaps you might come to an understanding.

Everyone on here has his/her personality shine through on their own posts.... thats what I like about this forum. On the same coin, personalities are bound to clash. And as in real life, there may be no rhyme or reason as to why someone dislikes another person.

I know that there are several people who's posts I read without even looking at the title because I like that person - and I have no idea who they are (by the way, you are one of those people :) ). I also don't read certain people's post because something turned me off about them. However, I've never ever low-rated someone. I just don't read what they wrote.

I often find myself rating your posts 5 starts because I see the idiots have lowered it again. I hardly ever rate posts... I don't have the inclination to do so.

dukedogsmom
04-21-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by molucass
What peeves me is that there are other people that can post pics of their pets and get TONS of replies, and yet when I post pics of mine, I may get 3-6... :rolleyes: That's what will make your feelings be hurt!! :(
I highly agree!! I try very hard to reply to everyone so as not to hurt anyone's feelings. However, it's happened to me, as well. I just don't understand. That's why I don't post too many pics other than holidays. I have rated threads before but only for 5 stars.

Karen
04-21-2004, 07:30 AM
Every time you post about someone's downrating of threads bothering you, you are giving satisfaction to the person doing it. Honestly, I never look at how a thread is rated. Isn't one star better than no stars?

This is Pet Talk, where everyone is special. Who cares about stars? ;)

anna_66
04-21-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Karen
You are so right Karen:D

I have to admit I have rated a few threads if I've found them to be very informative or say someone got a new pet.
It's just people trying to tick you off, just ignore them.

And as to the people who get their feelings hurt if not many people reply to their threads....
I've been pretty bad at that myself lately, as I haven't had much time. It's not that I care for some more than others, I just see some first and reply to them. But I did take some time last night and tried to look at everyones pictures and reply. I hope I didn't miss any!

primabella
04-21-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by anna_66
And as to the people who get their feelings hurt if not many people reply to their threads....
I've been pretty bad at that myself lately, as I haven't had much time. It's not that I care for some more than others, I just see some first and reply to them. But I did take some time last night and tried to look at everyones pictures and reply. I hope I didn't miss any!

The same goes for me. I have been pretty busy with schoolwork and other things, I just don't have the same time and patience to read through posts. I should though seeing as how if I were to post some Mickey pictures (probably soon anyways ;)) I'd like to get a good amount of replies. Besides, its nice to get attention from other members.

I hardly ever rate and if I do, it's a 5-star rating. I have learned to just block out the right side of the board to ignore those stars. They mean nothing to me.

G.P.girl
04-21-2004, 08:38 AM
probably whoever is downrating the threads is just doing it becasue they like to see you get worked up about it. if you don't even mention it then they won't have any reason to do that. i never really rate threads(except in potd, dotd and cotd, but those are all 5 stars) and i don't look at them either. like someone else said, i don't think people are going to not read your thread because it has low rating

CathyBogart
04-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Every time you post about someone's downrating of threads bothering you, you are giving satisfaction to the person doing it. Honestly, I never look at how a thread is rated. Isn't one star better than no stars?

My sentiments exactly - just ignore it! :)

slick
04-21-2004, 11:29 AM
Isn't one star better than no stars? This is Pet Talk, where everyone is special. Who cares about stars? ;)
Exactly Karen. You know, I've started a few threads in my time and I've never had a star rating at all and you know what??

I DON'T CARE!!!!!

Why is it soooooo important to you Kay???? There are more important things in life to worry about.

Randi
04-21-2004, 11:48 AM
I hardly ever notice if threads have any stars, or none, as I usually go straight to "Todays active threads" and they're not shown there. However, I find it pathetic that someone would downrate a thread just to hurt the person posting it. Someone on this board must be really bored!! :rolleyes:

The best thing is to ignore it and get on with your posting! :D

Edit: I presume the rating was supposed to "guide"new members to the most popular threads, but on this board it seems that all it shows is, that some members don't like other members.

Cataholic
04-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Sit down everybody, I am about to support Kay! :D

I think it is mighty easy for some of us to sit here and say, "Oh, Kfamr, don't worry about it, stop caring, what's the big deal.." etc...as it hasn't happened to most of us like I have seen it happen to/with her, and a few other selected people. Things always sting more when it is, or seems to be, directed to us.

It is one thing to say that who cares what the ratings are...when they are 5 starred! Quite another to say that when one can see that someone/ones purposely rate Kfamr's threads low. It IS a direct attack against her, and I do think it is hurtful. At 38, I know dern well I would have been crushed if someone rated down one of my many, many threads on Binx. I most likely would have left PT. So, to have that sort of thing happen to Kfamr, not once, but more than once, well, it isn't right.

Not to detract from Kay's thread, but, I also find it sad when I look at the POTD sections and see that some, but not all, are rated 5 stars. What a sad thing that would be for me to see my kitty on COTD, and see everyone else's kitty get 5 stars, and I get none.

I think the star rating should be removed...because it causes hurt feelings. :(

honor_fl
04-21-2004, 01:21 PM
Fortunately, or unfortunately, the online life is just about the same as real life. There's always going to be people who piss you off, hurt your feelings, and just generally make your life miserable. And just like in real life, you have to learn to deal with it, because even if that person goes away, someone else is just gonna pop up and take their place. (And on the bright side, just like real life, there are many wonderful, caring people who will be right there to support you and wish you well.)

It would be nice if everyone was sweet and wonderful, but that's not realistic. So what do you do? You can ignore them, you can fight back, or you can run away. Hopefully, we're not going to run away, so find a different way of dealing with it.

I think most people agree that the stars mean absolutely nothing, so that should make you feel better. And please remember that this is just one idiotic person, out of how many who post on this board?

tatsxxx11
04-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Karen commented that perhaps receiving 1 star was better than receiving none at all. The problem is, if you read how each star is described...1 star="worst," well, I'd have to say I'd rather have no stars next to my thread than 1, which in essence describes it as "worst." It's not the downrating per se that bothers me as much as it is the immature, hateful thinking that motivates it. Trying to ignore it is about all you can do, KayAnn. That person(s) is obviously trying to get your goat, but she also knows how we all feel and perhaps she/he will eventually "go away," like a bad headache!;) We've already lost one very loved, original Pet Talk member because of this idiotic ack of sensitivity. I'd hate to see us lose any more! Hang in there Kay and try and ignore it, hard as that is.

molucass wrote:

What peeves me is that there are other people that can post pics of their pets and get TONS of replies, and yet when I post pics of mine, I may get 3-6... That's what will make your feelings be hurt!!

I (and I know of many others) who try very hard to post daily on all of the pics threads. I know how I would feel if I posted pics of my kids and only a few replied. Maybe I'm lucky that my computer's not allowing me to upload pics at the moment;) Problem is, the majority of threads in Dogs General are now picture posting threads and it can take some time to get to them all, but I do eventually:) Honestly, I've found that given a day or so, most people find them and post a nice response. Everybody loves seeing pet pictures! It really hurts me to read someone comments, i.e. that no one responds to their posts when that thread is only an or two hour old:( Some of us can only get online at certain times. Often I spend most of the time I have available to be on PT, responding to pics, birthday and pillar congrats, health threads etc. We're a big family and some days, that can take a while, but I love doing it and love seeing your pics, so I hope everyone here knows how special I think all of you are, and of course, your "kids.":)

I've seen a separate catagory on other forums, just for posting pictures. Maybe that would help to direct people to new photo threads; and it might help to initiate more topics of conversation on the D,C,P "General" catagories too.

Johanna said...
Not to detract from Kay's thread, but, I also find it sad when I look at the POTD sections and see that some, but not all, are rated 5 stars. What a sad thing that would be for me to see my kitty on COTD, and see everyone else's kitty get 5 stars, and I get none.

I've posted about this before, with almost the exact same words, when the "downrating" subject first came up. Downrating a D,C,POTD thread is the epitome of cruelty, especially if you consider that there are only a few people who take the time to comment on them at all, especially on the POTD who rarely gets more than 2 or 3 congrats. There's no reason anyone would do this other than to be hurtful. I've often called on some of my PT friends to bump back up a downrated D,C,POTD thread; I know how hurtful it would be it were my pet's special day that got a "low" rating.

K9soul
04-21-2004, 04:54 PM
I highly agree with how hurtful it is. And I would much rather have no stars by my threads than 1, because often means someone is going out of their way to be spiteful and hurtful personally. I think if I came to PT every day and saw that anything and everything I posted got 1 star, it would hurt me enough to avoid posting after awhile.

Some would say I'm being too sensitive, letting one person get to me, etc, etc, but there is no denying I would feel a stab in my heart when I saw my pictures and words always targeted in such a way. With a posts, at least you know who it is, if they post something nasty all the time to your posts, you can ignore them, but there is no way to put the stars on ignore...

I would personally be happy to see the rating system go.

aly
04-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11

I've seen a separate catagory on other forums, just for posting pictures. Maybe that would help to direct people to new photo threads; and it might help to initiate more topics of conversation on the D,C,P "General" catagories too.

GREAT suggestion, Sandra!

Cookiebaker
04-21-2004, 05:15 PM
I agree, but also disagree.

I agree that when one specific person's threads are down rated no matter the content, and this happens time and time again; this is a personal attack. It is hurtful, and it is on a first grade level. Somebody needs to grow up.

HOWEVER, I do like the rating scales. When someone posts pictures are that especially funny or awesome, I like to rate them 5 stars! And, in the rare instance of someone being a troll, I will rate a 1 star to warn others that this thread isn't worth wasting their time on.

And Kayann, you have *tons* more friends than you do enemies here. That's why all the threads get bumped back up to 4 or 5 stars. Hopefully you can find comfort in that fact. :)

Miss Meow
04-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
My sentiments exactly - just ignore it! :)

I'd be upset if someone took the time and effort to downrate a thread of mine with one pissy little star. It's nice to say ignore it, but if it happened to me, I'd take it very, very personally.

I pretend to have the hide of a rhino, but I take things to heart.

The one star rater hasn't been posting much lately, so hopefully this activity will slow down.

popcornbird
04-21-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Sit down everybody, I am about to support Kay! :D

:eek::eek:

JUST KIDDING! :D

I must say, I agree with her in this thread too..........only because I have been there, gotten my threads downrated, and KNOW how it feels. I can understand people rating controversial threads in the Dog House........(even that should be rating the THREAD, not the person), but rating picture threads as a one star is hurtful, and ridiculous. I also wish we could get rid of the star rating system. I have gotten one of my picture threads downrated before, and it bothered me so much that I deleted it.

It used to bother me when someone downrated my threads. I have noticed, that once I started ignoring it, it seems to have stopped. It is wrong and hurtful to continuously downrate someone's threads just because you have a problem with them. If you have a problem with them, fine..........but you shouldn't have a problem with their pets. Whoever it is.........just think about it. You may not like someone....and that is fine, but put yourself in that person's shoes and think of how you would feel if someone who didn't like YOU, constantly rated your threads down........especially those threads where you posted pictures of your pets. How would it feel? That is adding gas to the fuel in my opinion.........in other words, making problems ten times worse.

Cinder & Smoke
04-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic

I think the star rating should be removed...
because it causes hurt feelings. :(

I TOTALLY AGREE - Do AWAY with the "Rating" System!

Hopefully the Head Bunnie will return and see these suggestions
to Remove the feature.

I participate on several Fire and Computer bulletin boards -
ALL operating on vBulletin/Jelsoft BBS system software...
NONE of them use the "Rating" Feature -
so I would *think* it's an "option" that could be turned OFF.

The advisories to "just Ignore it" are well intentioned -
but it's hard to "Ignore" what you interpret as an "insult"... :(

So if we can TURN IT OFF -
~ there won't be anything to "Try to Ingore" = :)
~ there won't be any more Hurt Feelings = :)
~ there WILL be more *HAPPINESS* on Pet Talk = :D

So Karen ~
How about asking Mr. Paul if he can wave his magic wand and
just make the "Rating" thingy go AWAY!?

/s/ Phred

Karen
04-21-2004, 06:09 PM
We made the ratings go away entirely. I know some of you like it, but it just seems, sadly, to have caused more trouble than benefit.

Cinder & Smoke
04-21-2004, 06:22 PM

We made the ratings go away entirely.

:) :D

THANK YOU ~ THANK YOU ~ THANK YOU!!! :D

Peace, Tranquility, and **HAPPINESS**
Return to Pet Talk!!

I predict we'll forget that feature was ever here! :p

THREE CHEERS fur da Mayor!!!

/s/ :) Phred

bluekat
04-21-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks Karen!:) Hopefully now there won't be anymore hurt feelings.

Kfamr
04-21-2004, 06:40 PM
Thanks you Karen! Atleast one thing is resolved! :D

green_chameleon_girl
04-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Karen, thank you so much!:D You are so great!:) *2 thumbs up*

Now lets get back to the happy, fun, joyful community we have created:D

primabella
04-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Thanks Karen! :D

Dogz
04-21-2004, 09:08 PM
I didn't see the thread until now. Now I know why the board looked different.

I sometimes do like to rate threads that I particularly like (I do not rate threads I do not like.) but, I do think that getting rid of the ratings will be for the better. :)

Thank you, Karen!

2kitties
04-21-2004, 09:45 PM
I live under a rock. I've never even seen this rating stuff. Where is it? Why would one ever "rate" a thread. What does it mean? Is it for if you like the topic or something?

...me thinks some people have to much time on their hands.

edit to say I now see the ratings have been removed. so I just missed them all together!:) Que sera

mugsy
04-21-2004, 09:47 PM
Thank you Karen....you are now officially my new best friend.....I hated that ridiculous rating thing. I'm with Jo.....too many hurt feelings. I never understood the purpose, but, then, I'm pretty dense! lol;)

aly
04-22-2004, 01:09 AM
I liked the rating system, but I agree that you should go with the masses, Karen. Thanks for all you do! :)

K9soul
04-22-2004, 07:51 AM
I agree it was nice when used in a good way, but way too often it was used as a malicious and hurtful tool. Thank you Karen and Paul for your understanding and willingness to change something that was causing people discomfort :)

ChrisH
04-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
I agree it was nice when used in a good way, but way too often it was used as a malicious and hurtful tool. Thank you Karen and Paul for your understanding and willingness to change something that was causing people discomfort :)
Seconded.:)

Kfamr
04-22-2004, 01:22 PM
Sorry to take it away from those who really enjoyed it. :(

I enjoyed it as well, until someone decided to use it against me.
It'd be neat if there was an option in our User CP or something that allowed us to turn on/off ratings ourselves. Like if we wanted our threads rated, we could turn it on - if we didn;t, we'd turn it off. Not sure how possible that is, and I certainly don't want to put Karen and Paul through more work then they already have done, but it could/may please everyone. ;) :)

PayItForward
04-22-2004, 01:30 PM
What about banning the person/people who was doing that nasty ratings ?

I *think* you can run an admin report to find out who did it (But I'm running a different forum version, so it might not apply to Pet Talk)

sirrahved
04-22-2004, 01:35 PM
I think Karen and Paul did the best thing that they could in the situation.

If they were going to ban people that were giving low ratings, wouldn't that in essence get rid of the purpose? If you tell people they can only rate a post if they give it a five star rating, then you are saying that every post deserves a five star rating, and you've written out the rating system yourself!

catnapper
04-22-2004, 02:15 PM
But the rating system is there to give it a one star if it truly deserved it - say someone used offensive language, then I'd use one star to warn others not to waste their time. It would be used apprpriately in that instance. but some people have been using it as a form of personal attack. Kay has had some beautiful posts that have been rated one star because someone somewhere has serious issues with her. In that instance, its wrong and spiteful and completely inappropriate... hence, the neccessity to run an admin report that could ban someone.

I like that this is a open and friendly community and would like it to continue being so friendly.:)

RICHARD
04-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Would you like to swing on a star
Carry moonbeams home in a jar
And be better off than you are
Or would you rather be a mule?

A mule is an animal with long funny ears
Kicks up at anything he hears
His back is brawny but his brain is weak
He's just plain stupid with a stubborn streak
And by the way, if you hate to go to school
You may grow up to be a mule

Or would you like to swing on a star
Or would you rather be a pig?

A pig is an animal with dirt on his face
His shoes are a terrible disgrace
He has no manners when he eats his food
He's fat and lazy and extremely rude
But if you don't care a feather or a fig
You may grow up to be a pig

Or would you like to swing on a star
Or would you rather be a fish?

A fish won't do anything, but swim in a brook
He can't write his name or read a book
To fool the people is his only thought
And though he's slippery, he still gets caught
But then if that sort of life is what you wish
You may grow up to be a fish
A new kind of jumped-up slippery fish

And all the monkeys aren't in the zoo
Every day you meet quite a few
So you see it's all up to you
You can be better than you are
You could be swingin' on a star

-----------------------------------------------------------

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ********************

I don't need moonbeams anymore.....I got starlight!

:D

Kfamr
04-22-2004, 02:37 PM
Richard, you're such a wacko. And I do mean that and the nicest way possible!

aly
04-22-2004, 03:48 PM
If people get banned for giving a 1 star rating, then you may as well start banning people for using certain smilies, or for using different colored text. I mean, come on. The option is there for people to use and you're suggesting BANNING them for it? Thats crazy!! CRAZY!!

I do agree what someone was doing to PCB and KayAnn was mean and imature, but the moderators have better things to do than start being the "one-star rater" police.

I know its a moot point now that the system is gone .. but I just had to get that off my chest.

Kfamr
04-22-2004, 03:53 PM
I agree, Aly.

I didn't want anyone to get banned from this -- that wasn't my intention. I just wanted the one star rating to stop. It got very aggrivating just coming and seeing one star next to my posts, not so much controversial subjects -- but the ones of pictures I shared.

the option was there, and now it's not -- so the problem is pretty much resolved.

aly
04-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I wasn't directing that at you or anyone in particular :)

I just saw a lot of posts with suggestions that the person be banned. But now that their tool is taken away, maybe they'll leave of their own accord.

Anyway, I was just thinking out loud.

PayItForward
04-22-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
But the rating system is there to give it a one star if it truly deserved it - say someone used offensive language, then I'd use one star to warn others not to waste their time. It would be used apprpriately in that instance. but some people have been using it as a form of personal attack. Kay has had some beautiful posts that have been rated one star because someone somewhere has serious issues with her. In that instance, its wrong and spiteful and completely inappropriate... hence, the neccessity to run an admin report that could ban someone.

I like that this is a open and friendly community and would like it to continue being so friendly.:)

Thanks Kim, Why should noone be allowed to use the rating system properly, because of this nasty person.

Aly, IMO yes I wish that Karen would ban that person because their behaviour is mean and underhanded and upset a well loved poster.

They would not be banned because they rated one stars but because they deliberately targeted one person and one star their posts inappropriately just to cause trouble.

I wonder what trouble that person will start on next :(

Logan
04-22-2004, 04:11 PM
I think, won't promise, but one time, I voted one star on a post that struck me wrong.........and it was one that KayAnn started, I think. And it was no offense to Kay, as she knows, I love her dearly (at least I hope so).

I always used the "stars" carefully, mostly reserving them for posts that I hoped would get more attention (thus 5 stars). I will miss the ratings, actually, because in most cases, I used them myself, and followed others to threads that had high ratings.

catnapper
04-22-2004, 04:14 PM
Yes, couldn't they run a report and see that XYZ poster only rated 25 posts with one star and all 25 posts were for the same person... that would show the administrators that they were being spiteful. The administrators could contact the offending person and issue a warning... then the person could ignore the warning or shape up. If they ignored it and continued for, oh say, another 20 posts then they'd be kicked out. But then the problem is they could sign up again as someone else and start all over.

The admins wouldn't have to act as star police... only when someone is getting really offended by the ratings. Then they can run the reports and see who it is and intervene.... and only in instances like Kay where its gone on for months. It wouldn't be that much work (listen to me on this side of the keyboard ;) ) and I'm sure after a while, you'd be able to narrow down the field... doesn't the computer know who was online when?

This is a very sticky issue, and I'm sorry for Karen and Paul to have to deal with it. You both run a wonderful forum and its a shame that one ot two people throw a wrench into the works.

PayItForward
04-22-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
The administrators could contact the offending person and issue a warning... then the person could ignore the warning or shape up. If they ignored it and continued for, oh say, another 20 posts then they'd be kicked out. But then the problem is they could sign up again as someone else and start all over.

There are ways to ensure the same person doesn't log back in or register but I won't post them here in case the nasty person is reading.

I have also seen some great hacks (additional code to add to a forum) too.

One hack allowed the banned user to do whatever and he/she thought they had a normal account but the twist was that nobody else saw them or their posts...ha ha

popcornbird
04-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward
There are ways to ensure the same person doesn't log back in or register but I won't post them here in case the nasty person is reading.

I have also seen some great hacks (additional code to add to a forum) too.

One hack allowed the banned user to do whatever and he/she thought they had a normal account but the twist was that nobody else saw them or their posts...ha ha

Banning an IP address is possible, but there is no way you can ban a person COMPLETELY. They could always come back on a different computer in a different place, and there would be no way for the mods to find out. There is no way to ensure the same person won't come back and do it again from a completely different computer, that never logged onto the site before. You can ban them from a certain computer completely, but to ban them from logging on from one of the millions of computers in the world would be pretty impossible.

I'm with Aly here. I have had my threads downrated many times. It did hurt me, but I would not wish for the person to be banned completely.........just because whoever does it hates *me*. I think that's a bit silly..........people use rolling eyes to hurt others too.

PayItForward
04-22-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
I'm with Aly here. I have had my threads downrated many times. It did hurt me, but I would not wish for the person to be banned completely.........just because whoever does it hates *me*. I think that's a bit silly..........people use rolling eyes to hurt others too.

Thats different....People who post 'rolling eyes' at others, is just healthy disagreement and we all see the posts and who makes them.

But it upsets me to think that we have a spiteful coward on this site, who only hurts others when they can remain hidden.

If they had any character they would stand up and admit what they did and give a heartfelt apology to those they hurt.

Kfamr
04-22-2004, 04:52 PM
I still don't agree with banning whoever rates threads 'one stars'. Their fun is done now, and if they do result to something else, then they should be banned. Maybe taking away their little tool of hate will make them realize and grow up.

I have rated 'one stars' before, and I have rated threads before. But, only how I saw fit. Generally I gave each thread 5 stars, especially those already downrated.

I've never seen PT have so many tiny problems until recent, as in the past couple years or so.

Originally posted by popcornbird
people use rolling eyes to hurt others too.

Not always.

aly
04-22-2004, 05:09 PM
Man oh man do I hate the rolley eyes! http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/blackeye/Eyecrazy.gif <-- That one is much better!

http://mysmilies.ipbfree.com/s/contrib/edoom/let_it_all_out.gif

Hehehe!

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/cwm/eek2.gif

Sorry, I'm bored today http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/cwm3d/3dcool.gif

popcornbird
04-22-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by aly
Man oh man do I hate the rolley eyes! http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/blackeye/Eyecrazy.gif <-- That one is much better!

http://mysmilies.ipbfree.com/s/contrib/edoom/let_it_all_out.gif

Hehehe!

Sorry, I'm bored today http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/cwm3d/3dcool.gif

L:DL!!!

Karen
04-22-2004, 05:11 PM
We want to make this board as nice a place as it can be. We did consider many options and everyone's feedback when we made the decision. After careful consideration of the positives and negatives of the feature, we removed the feature.

Please, no more talk of banning folks, okay? If you ever think an individual deserves banning, please have the courtesy to Private Message or email Paul, myself or both of us.

We'd like to keep it as happy and friendly a place as can be. Remember, we are all here first and foremost because we have something in common - we know the unconditional love of pets! There are people who don't know how this. All other differences of opinion surely pale in comparison!

bluekat
04-22-2004, 05:41 PM
LOL aly those are cute!:D

carole
04-22-2004, 10:12 PM
I won't miss the star system, as for one I never used it, never even took notice of it, infact I don't think I have ever had one of my threads rated at all, so for me its no big deal, and if it saves peoples feelings being hurt, then I am all for seeing the end of it.:)

leslie flenner
04-22-2004, 11:52 PM
yes agree with carole above. I never paid attention to them and didn't know what in the heck they meant exactly. How would rate someone else's remarks, story etc, I never understood how that might work! So ok- all over! Yeah!!

G.P.girl
04-23-2004, 08:57 AM

LMAO! i like this one!

K9soul
04-23-2004, 10:21 AM
I used to be admin for a message board regarding a game I played and one of my favorite things to do was search out emoticons for the board. There are hundreds out there and I still have links to tons of them, people sure had a blast with them and that just encouraged me more to search them out :p.

A few good ones are:

http://edensong.com/ezboard/emoticons/wink.gif

http://www.edensong.com/ezboard/emoticons/woohoo1.gif

http://www.edensong.com/ezboard/emoticons/welcomesign.gif

http://www.edensong.com/ezboard/emoticons/rofl.gif

http://www.edensong.com/ezboard/emoticons/rant2.gif

http://edensong.com/ezboard/emoticons/hug.gif

http://www.edensong.com/ezboard/emoticons/birthday.gif

http://edensong.com/ezboard/emoticons/dance2.gif

RICHARD
04-23-2004, 01:03 PM

Please, no more talk of banning folks, okay?

I like talking about Banning folks!

http://www.ci.banning.ca.us/

It's a nice community!

;)

catland
04-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Or... you can come visit me and the kitties and we'll go grab a bite to eat up the street at Banning's restaurant.

http://www.banningsrestaurant.com/

:cool:

RICHARD
04-23-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by catland
Or... you can come visit me and the kitties and we'll go grab a bite to eat up the street at Banning's restaurant.

I ws looking at the menu.....

It should be 'Pie of the Weak'.....

They all sound good!!!

QueenScoopalot
04-25-2004, 10:17 AM
I'm glad to see the stars gone from here too. I started a thread about the birth of a litter of black kittens, and the next week several started to die. I found it quite bizarre that the thread about dying kittens got four stars. :( I think it's kinder all around getting the rating system out of here!;) Jan

RICHARD
04-25-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
I'm glad to see the stars gone from here too. I started a thread about the birth of a litter of black kittens, and the next week several started to die. I found it quite bizarre that the thread about dying kittens got four stars. :( I think it's kinder all around getting the rating system out of here!;) Jan

I think the rating system could be confusing to some.....

I didn't think that it was a popularity poll, it may have been thought of it as such......For me, it let me know that there was something posted there that another PTer thought may be interesting, held some valuable info or was of general interest.

I never rated a thread, but I did find some interesting stuff in threads that HAD been rated. I don't think that kitties dying would make a thread popular.....I think that the 'four star' rating was given by someone who thought that their plight was worth a look.

I tend to miss some good threads because I don't have a way to judge their content, other than the titles......

Taking a rating system to heart and personally is small potatoes
compared to what life has to give you.....

I rather not worry about having one star on a thread, a more immediate concern of mine is getting a one star vote of confidence from my boss at work. THAT would hurt.:eek:

trayi52
04-25-2004, 01:26 PM
The only way I did rate a thread was if I seen one that seem like one was being downrated unfairly, then I would rate it a higher star. But If I did see one where there was just a dispute going on within the thread, then I did downrate that thread, to me Pet Talk is about enjoying each others posts about their pets, asking advice about their pets. Not getting into silly arguments that is just pointless.

Willie

Kfamr
04-25-2004, 01:44 PM
I guess you guys can't fully understand where i'm coming from since you didn't come on everytime to see each of your threads, with pictures and happy stories of your pets to be rated a one star. And your threads being almost the only ones in the whole forum rated, and a one star at that.

It's just the fact that PT has changed so greatly, and the fact that someone was immature and idiotic enough to do such a thing.

It never was like this. It wasn't.
Hopefully it'll only continue to get better.

trayi52
04-25-2004, 02:01 PM
Kay I am sure it will! We just have to make it better. I seen those threads being put down, and I did rate them higher, because I thought it was unfair. I done the same for Poppys threads too.

We all want it to be better here, so there will be more people want to be here, and stay here. There are more good people here than there are bad people. At least that is what I have seen. You have a lot of friends here Kay, and a lot of young people that really look up to you, and hang on your every word. I don't know if you can see that, but it is sooooo true.

Willie:)

carole
04-25-2004, 09:42 PM
Kay even though I Paid no attention to the star rating, I can appreciate where you are coming from, its dis-heartning to say the least, but I reckon it was only one particular person, so if you had only one enemy(for want of a better word )on PT, then hey that means the rest of us are your friends.

I think its good that something positive has come out of it all, and that it no longer exists, even though some of you did like it, I am sure we will all adjust.:) :)