PDA

View Full Version : They just don't get it. :(

Logan
04-20-2004, 07:21 AM
Posted on April 20, 2004

Plan to fix pets fails in county
By Baker Maultsby | Staff Writer
[email protected]
Spartanburg County Council voted down a recommendation to spend about $17,000 on a program that would subsidize the spaying and neutering of pets.

The money is part of a federal Community Development Block Grant.

Spartanburg County's Community Development department recommended using a portion of the $2.5 million grant to help poor families alter their pets.

The grant money is being spent to improve housing and infrastructure in targeted communities such as Una and Arkwright.

Councilmen David Britt and Jeff Horton voted in favor of spending the money. Steve Parker, Frank Nutt Rock Adams, Johnnye Code Stewart and Ken Huckaby voted against the idea.

Britt argued vigorously in favor of the plan, which would have enabled Animal Allies, a nonprofit organization, to help needy families with the $50 cost of the surgery to alter animals.

Later, he said, "I think it was a bad decision. We could have spayed and neutered 350 cats and dogs. First, we've got to admit there's a problem. And this was part of a solution to a problem."

Betsy Boxer, Animal Allies executive director, predicted that Monday's vote would cost the council money in the long run in animal control expenses.

It will cost her organization, too.

Boxer said Animal Allies had been promised $15,000 in private matching dollars if the County Council had given the organization a portion of the block grant.

Stewart said she believes spaying and neutering is "a worthwhile plan," but explained that she "would

rather see (the money) spent on parks and recreation."

Britt said he's not sure the federal government will allow the block grant funds to be spent on parks and recreation.

Several members of the audience cheered the council's vote.

Bob Scott said his opposition to the plan is a matter of priority. Government money, he said, should be spent on "anything except animals."

Two other opponents of the spay-and-neuter plan would not identify themselves.

One woman charged that Animal Allies is a "radical" organization that aims to wipe out pet ownership altogether.

"They want a petless, meatless society," Scott said.

Baker Maultsby can be reached at 562-7425 or [email protected].

lizbud
04-20-2004, 10:06 AM
Question:

"Bob Scott said his opposition to the plan is a matter of priority. Government money, he said, should be spent on "anything except animals."

Two other opponents of the spay-and-neuter plan would not identify themselves.

One woman charged that Animal Allies is a "radical" organization that aims to wipe out pet ownership altogether.

"They want a petless, meatless society," Scott said. "

Who is this Bob Scott ? He wasn't identified in the article.
:confused:

Logan
04-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Liz, I emailed the author with that same question about who Bob Scott is? I have no idea, to tell you the truth. This is one county over from my own.

Logan

tatsxxx11
04-20-2004, 01:41 PM
Logan, I know there are many devoted and caring animal lovers down your way!!! Simply, this is bureaucratic stupidity at it's worst! $$$ better spent on parks, recreation, anything BUT animals??? Maybe watching a video of the mass gassings of thousands of dogs and cats carried out every year would make an impact. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Logan
04-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Liz, here's the answer I got, lousy as it is. It still doesn't identify the guy, Bob Scott, who was quoted:

I'm not sure if Bob Scott is a breeder or not. He was there with some
people who are breeders. They're pretty hardcore about this issue, it
appears.

I'm honestly not sure why the council voted the way it did.

Thanks,
-- Baker

lizbud
04-20-2004, 03:07 PM
Thanks for checking logan. :) I've checked around and can't
find anything "radical" about Animal Allies. About spending Gov.
money on animals, it's spend a little now in Spay/Neuter programs
or spend tons more later on the problems of pet overpopulation.

You are right, some people just don't get it. :( :mad:

http://www.animal-allies.org/index.html

Twisterdog
04-20-2004, 08:37 PM
This is the same brilliant thinking that decided the government would pay for every expense associated with having and raising child after child after child on welfare... but will not pay for voluntary surgical sterilization of informed and consenting adults.

Sadly, the more press truly radical animal rights organizations like PETA get, and the more outrageous stunts they pull, the more likely the general public is to think ANY animal related organization is a "radical organization that aims to wipe out pet ownership altogether." We used to get flaming letters at the humane society, screaming about how could we DARE to be opposed to hunting, pet ownership, eating meat, etc. - when we were officially opposed to none of those things and had never mentioned them.

Sirrahsim
04-20-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
This is the same brilliant thinking that decided the government would pay for every expense associated with having and raising child after child after child on welfare... but will not pay for voluntary surgical sterilization of informed and consenting adults.

I love how you put that! I'm working on a paper for my Sociology class, would you mind if I borrowed that quote?

Twisterdog
04-20-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Sirrahsim
I love how you put that! I'm working on a paper for my Sociology class, would you mind if I borrowed that quote?

No, I don't mind. But if you get a bad grade, don't blame me. ;)

Sirrahsim
04-20-2004, 10:44 PM
lol, thanks a bunch:):)

ramanth
04-21-2004, 09:37 AM
How dissapointing.. :(