PDA

View Full Version : begging for food

guster girl
04-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Hey, can anyone give me any advice on how to teach Finn to stay away from the table when I tell him to? Like, we eat at our coffee table, and, it's low enough for Finn to just stick his head right on the table. I hate it when dogs do that, and, i really want some advice on what I can do to get him to keep his distance. Thanks....

aly
04-19-2004, 05:01 PM
During mealtime for the next couple weeks, you might want to put him on a tie down at a safe distance from the table. You can give him a kong and a blanket so he'll be satisfied while you eat. Put a cue to it as well, something like "rest time", and say it every time you get him on his tie down. Eventually you won't have to use the tie down, and he'll learn to automatically go to his spot while you eat. Don't give him a treat when you release him, just say good boy or something. If you give him a treat, then he'll really be anticipating it and want to get off of the tie down as soon as possible. Make his little spot as positive as you can and make releasing him as neutral as you can.

Also be sure that he NEVER gets away with stealing ANYTHING off the table. If he gets something just once, he'll keep trying really hard to do it again.

If you don't want to do the tie down, you could just have him lie down while you eat.

DogLover9501
04-19-2004, 05:05 PM
I have tried SOOOO many things with Jasper, uncluding making him lay down the whole time, which only worked for me, and if other people were eating he would be in their faces, I also tried a spray bottle when he was begging, and also other things.

I just recently started this other thing, that seems to be working quite well, I dont know if its a good idea, I just randomly thought of it, but its been working so its worth a try. Have a plate/bowl of something he doesnt like, or something sour/bitter on the table and whenever he beggs or wants your food, give him the other thing, Jasper got so fed up, that he walked away from the table and left us alone, for the first time ever!

I know it might seem as if your rewarding begging, but rewards are suposed to be something they like;)

guster girl
04-19-2004, 05:48 PM
I'm going to do the tie down thing, and, that other thing about putting stuff they don't like sounds good too. :) I've heard to put tape on the surface you don't want them on, too. like they won't like the way it feels....