PDA

View Full Version : Bad kitty..

slleipnir
12-13-2001, 05:38 PM
Any sugestions on how to keep a cat from become loud and ditructive..usually only at night. She jumps up on things not alowd to, pushes things over and makes lots of noise. I don't live there, i only go over sometimes (she lives with my mom cause i have 2 dogs that wouldn;t like her much..and my dad hates cats..)We tried putting sticky stuff so when she jumps up her paws get stuck and you know how cats would hate that..LOL anyway she got stuck in it! and meowwed and meeoowed..so that didn't really work..we tried spraying her..works..till your asleep again. Putting her in her kennel and in the bathroom for the night..but then she can't pee if she needs to and get water and food..so..anyone elses cat do this?

yorkster
12-14-2001, 12:40 AM
Well......that's a cat for ya'! :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:
But seriously, how old is the kitty in question? I have a 11 month old kitten and he does the same things. On the other hand, my older, more mature kitty, is settled down a lot and sleeps most of the night with us.
If possible, try and shut kitty out of the rooms that he/she gets in trouble in. A spray bottle will work if you keep it up.
Again, if this is a fairly young cat, then it will grow out of it (well, mostly).

Someone who does not LOVE cats??? How could your Dad not?

thelmalu99
12-14-2001, 11:16 AM
I can totally relate! I posted somewhere else about how I have started locking my cats out of my room at night. I feel really guilty doing this, and I love sleeping with them at night (*when* they actually sleep), but they have just become too LOUD!! They start running around, chasing each other. They run out of my room, through the dining room, into the living room and back again at high speed!! It sounds as if horses are galloping through my apartment!
I let them stay in my room as long as they're calm, but as soon as they start up, I get up and lock them out. The other night it was kind of funny, because they ran out of my room and I closed the door. When they came galloping back, they slammed into the closed door! LOL! Poor kitties! But they have to learn to be quiet and let me and my neighbor downstairs get some sleep! Bad kitties! ;)

purrley
12-14-2001, 11:57 AM
I relate also - get the stampede during the middle of the night sometimes and worse now because they wake up the puppy and then she cries. Oh well - the sleepless joys of raising a fur family ;)

slleipnir
12-14-2001, 02:25 PM
LOL well shes not a "kitten"..shes 3 yrs old and still acts up, she wants my mom to get up and play with her or something. She'll drag her little string onto the bed. You can't lock her out, cause then she gets going under the door! pawing and meowing. Ahh! I duno what to do with that evil cat! and she'll get in the closet and bang them around or gallop around...making looots of noise! i'm glad i'm not there everynight for that, but i'd probably sleep through it :(

coolkat
12-14-2001, 02:35 PM
Hi pplz,
i love cats mine are around 5 yrs old there lovely we don't have as much trouble with em but you could take it to pet physcolagists they might know watz up with it
well cya
emi_x_

thelmalu99
12-14-2001, 02:38 PM
I'm a pretty heavy sleeper and I'll tell you what-they wake me up! Danny is about 11 mos old and Elvis is about 2 1/2 years old and I keep hoping that when Danny "grows up" he (they) will calm down. I know that the woman downstairs likes cats, but I'm so afraid that she will complain to Management one of these days! :eek:
I have to literally lock the door or put a towel in between the door and the frame, because Elvis has already figured out how to push the door open! :rolleyes:

slleipnir
12-14-2001, 02:48 PM
We don't have pet physcolagists here..anyway we've tried a lot to keep her settled down but nothing works! u can't even lock her in the bathroom cause she distroy stuff in there..like unraveling ALL the toilet paper! LOL

yorkster
12-15-2001, 12:18 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Cats!
One of mine is now 7 yrs. old, and he will not play with the youngn' at night- he wants to sleep...zzzzzz with us, so little boy goes downstairs and entertains himself (not always good).
I think kitties often take until they are a few years old sometimes to mellow out, but it does help if one of them is quite a bit older. I know kitten still wakes me up all by himself a lot.

wayne0214
12-15-2001, 04:11 AM
The only kitten who makes noise at night while playing with things is Jumper (a 5 month old Abyssinian-mix black DSH). It doesn't bother me as much as it used to because it is more noise than destruction. I have been trying to get some of them to sleep with me on the bed. This morning when I awoke early, there were 6 kitties surrounding me. I had to get some of them to move so I could get up. Also, their playing habits at night, after I turn out the lights, varies from night to night. Last night they were good and didn't make a lot of noise.

slleipnir
12-15-2001, 06:55 AM
wow she didn't wake me up last night!

Does anyone have cats that when you walk by then stalk you for a bit then jump oout and attack your leg?? i think my cat is evil. She'll peak around corners and stare at you, then jump out and jump at u

yorkster
12-15-2001, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by wayne0214:
<STRONG>The only kitten who makes noise at night while playing with things is Jumper (a 5 month old Abyssinian-mix black DSH). It doesn't bother me as much as it used to because it is more noise than destruction. I have been trying to get some of them to sleep with me on the bed. This morning when I awoke early, there were 6 kitties surrounding me. I had to get some of them to move so I could get up. Also, their playing habits at night, after I turn out the lights, varies from night to night. Last night they were good and didn't make a lot of noise.</STRONG>

six kitties all sleeping with you? that would be heaven!

:D :) :D

scottso55
12-15-2001, 09:27 PM
Two of my three cats fight regularly at night.

When I travel out of town for work and stay in a motel -- I sometimes have trouble sleeping because it's so quiet. :)

slleipnir
12-15-2001, 09:38 PM
lol wow! sounds FUNN..i don't think id ever have trouble sleeping..maybe like.."oh..i doubt i'll be able to sle..zzzzzzzzzzzzzz" LOL ok not that good but hey.

Did yiou try sepeating the cats at night?? so they dont fight

wayne0214
12-16-2001, 08:05 AM
sleipnir; No, none of my furkids attack my legs or feet, however I have had one or two who will grab at my legs, whenever I walk by them, from under a table, as they will hide on the 2nd shelf, and grab at me. But this behavior is not consistant.

..........wayne

wayne0214
12-16-2001, 08:19 AM
Yorkster; I don't know if it is heaven or not, but they help keep the covers warm. They jump on to the blanket after I go to sleep. I will call them to get up onto the bed, while Jumper and Snow Tiger are playing and making noise with things. After I doze off, they come up on the covers sometime during the night. And it usually the same ones: Snow Cat, Snow Tiger, Jumper, Fluffy, Fawn, and Mackerella, :D

..........wayne

[ December 16, 2001: Message edited by: wayne0214 ]

yumyum6970
01-07-2002, 10:26 AM
My oldest cat Dutchess who is about 5 years old will start meowing around 5 am or so in the morning wanting to go outside. Last friday, her and her sister were being butts and got outside before we could catch them before we were going to work and we were upset at them for this so we made them stay out for about 14 hours straight..So atm Dutchess does not want to go outside that much..and she hasn't meowed us awake in the early mornings.