View Full Version : News! Progress! Yippee!

Twink
04-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Well, guess what? My husband has agreed, directly, in clear words, that we can get another cat. :D Yayyyyy! I really want Rizzo to have brother (or sister!). And I’m so excited about the prospect of another furbaby. :)

So now I’m on the lookout. I want to get a cat that matches Rizzo’s personality, since he’s such a laid-back, passive sort of fella. I’d hate for him to get bossed around and smacked all the time! Anyway, for my husband’s sake (since he’s not a natural cat person, and not inclined to put up with any feline eccentricities that involve human blood), we need a cat who is gentle and agreeable, doesn’t mind being held, doesn’t play too rough….again, one like Rizzo! I’m not going to jump into anything. I’m going to make good and sure that any cat we bring home is a good match for us, and that we’ll be a good home for him.

I put in an application for this guy this morning.

http://www.bfpa.org/Sadiki.html

I met him at an adopt-a-thon this weekend. I would have asked more questions and put in an application then and there, but it wasn't until after we got home that my husband said he was definitely ok with another kitty. He seemed really sweet (Sadiki, not my husband, although he’s sweet too!). His foster mom was there and couldn’t say enough nice things about him. She talked me into holding him (I didn’t want to, ‘cause I knew I’d get attached!) . He was nervous, and not loving the Petsmart experience, and sort of acted like Rizzo does when he’s stressed. Kind of playing dead, you know? But at the same time, he actually purred for me a little. He looks like he should be so very soft, and he is. Not silky, like Rizz, but soft. And his eyes are simply incredible. They’re what made me stop to check him out. He has huge, bright, liquid caramel eyes that go so perfectly with his buff coat. My husband said he was “very tan.” He meant it nicely. :) So, we'll see where that goes!

Just wanted to share the happy prospects! :)

lbaker
04-19-2004, 10:20 AM
He's absolutely beautiful and it sounds as though his purrsonality matches his looks. What a find, lucky you :cool: "very tan".. that's funny and a good sign from your "sweet" hubby :p

sirrahbed
04-19-2004, 11:02 AM
hey Twink!! Before I even opened the attachment - I was thinking ORANGE MALE (tan is a shade of orange, right??)-I don't think you can go wrong! And - the decription of him sounds *purrfect* - what a sweet face, too!

jazzcat
04-19-2004, 11:14 AM
He is gorgeous and I do believe he is meant to be yours. How else could you have come up with such a wonderful description as "liquid caramel eyes".

I think it is great that he's in a foster home so you are able to talk to his foster mom about his personality and hopefully make a great match for Rizzo. When I get another cat or kitten some day I plan to go that way so I will have a clue about their behavior and personality.

We'll keep our fingers and paws crossed here that he comes home to you soon! Of course we will want lots of pictures too.

BTW, when I brought Scout home last summer I took all the advice given here about keeping her in a separate room and introducing everyone slowly and it worked out well that way.

RedHedd
04-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Sadiki is such a beautiful creamsicle kitty and I love your description of his liquid caramel eyes ..... he sounds like a keeper to me. I hope your application is accepted, as it should be.

Of course, Rizzo just might prefer a seal as a sibling :p or maybe Rizzo could introduce Sadiki to his seal collection .... that would make for some REALLY cute pictures! :D

catcrazylady
04-19-2004, 12:49 PM
OMG!!! I want him!! He is GORGEOUS!!! It sounds like the personality match made in heaven!! Keep us posted and good luck! He sure looks and sounds like a real sweety!!

nibblets
04-19-2004, 12:51 PM
He's sounds like a very beautiful boy, in looks and personality! Good Luck....I hope you get him. *crossing fingers for you*

rg_girlca
04-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Oh I wish you all the best of luck that you are able to get this gorgeous boy.
Fingers and paws crossed here.:)

Twink
04-19-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
hey Twink!! Before I even opened the attachment - I was thinking ORANGE MALE (tan is a shade of orange, right??)
Not that you're biased, right? ;) *smoochies* for wonderful Dylan! I wouldn't mind having a Dylan clone one little bit. :D

BTW, when I brought Scout home last summer I took all the advice given here about keeping her in a separate room and introducing everyone slowly and it worked out well that way.
That's the plan, sort of. It'll probably be an abbreviated slow introduction, though, b/c the only rooms we can close off, really, are our bedroom and the bathroom. The bathroom's too small to put a kitty in, and I don't want to shut Rizzo out of the bedroom for very long. Poor guy. One of us will probably have to sleep on the couch with him the night after we bring a new kitty home. Rizz is pretty adaptable, so maybe if the new cat is too, they'll adjust in the space of a weekend. Maybe.

Of course, Rizzo just might prefer a seal as a sibling or maybe Rizzo could introduce Sadiki to his seal collection .... that would make for some REALLY cute pictures!
LOL! My husband and I actually had this conversation!! Him: "Maybe when he gets a brother, Rizzo'll quit hauling seals around all the time." Me: "That would be SAD." Him: "Ok, so maybe he'll teach the new one bad habits, and they can fight over the seals." :D

OMG!!! I want him!! He is GORGEOUS!!!
He looks like he could fit right in with your tribe. Nice and fluffy! ;)

Thanks for the encouragement and good wishes, everyone! I really hope I hear back from the rescue organization soon. I know that if Sadiki doesn't work out, there are many, many great cats who need people out there. But I admit, I'm getting pretty attached to this one. I even have a new name all picked out. :D

lbaker
04-20-2004, 06:28 AM
and that new name would be???

sirrahbed
04-20-2004, 06:45 AM
Oh Twink!!! How long do you have to wait??? I'd be going nuts??? Yikes!!! Can you call and check on him? I assume he went home with foster mom right? I guess, if it is like the shelters here, the hours are very limited though....oh the waiting!!! I would be pacing the floor. This is like labor. Good grief:rolleyes:
Can you call PetsMart?? When we put in the papers for the twins, they stayed at the store until we came back for them, but it was only 48 hours. But then, they were not at an adoption event - but there for a rotation in the special adoption room and the foster mom had taken home a couple of adult cats for a break.

catmandu
04-20-2004, 09:16 AM
That will be so Nice, for Rizzo , to have a Cat Pal , to play with , be Pals with , and have another Cat To Talk to! And Sadki , is a Beauty! May they have many yeatrs of Friendship Together!!!! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWS From All The Found Cats!

Twink
04-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Oh Twink!!! How long do you have to wait??? I'd be going nuts??? Yikes!!! Can you call and check on him? I assume he went home with foster mom right? I guess, if it is like the shelters here, the hours are very limited though....oh the waiting!!! I would be pacing the floor. This is like labor. Good grief:rolleyes:
Can you call PetsMart?? When we put in the papers for the twins, they stayed at the store until we came back for them, but it was only 48 hours. But then, they were not at an adoption event - but there for a rotation in the special adoption room and the foster mom had taken home a couple of adult cats for a break.

Well...I'm only going a little crazy. *nibbles nails* :)

The rescue place called me last night to say they got my application, and to chat a bit. Sadiki's foster mom must have remembered me, b/c the lady that called knew that I met them at the adoption fair. She wasn't *sure* it was me, since there were a lot of people that stopped by, but she thought so. We had a nice chat, she asked some general questions. I told her a little about Rizzo, she told me a little about her cats. I think she was just trying to get a feel for what sort of a cat person I was. :) She liked my application. Was going to call my references and vet today. Little nervous about the vet part, since who knows what the rotten old self-important hypochondriac will tell her? (remember my vet rant? ;) ) But after she's talked to everyone, she'll call me again, and if all's well, she'll put me in touch with Sadiki's foster mom again, and we'll ask each other lots of questions. And that should be it!

I'm nervous!! :) :rolleyes: :)

NoahsMommy
04-21-2004, 12:56 AM
He sure has my vote!!! Orange and male....yep, he wins!! ;)

Congrats on getting a new furbaby! Can't wait to hear more. :) :) :)

emily_the_spoiled
04-21-2004, 12:48 PM
We are all keeping our fingers and paws crossed for you, that you will soon have a new addition to your family :) :)

sirrahbed
04-21-2004, 12:53 PM
TWINK?????? :confused: :rolleyes:

Twink
04-21-2004, 01:54 PM
We're going to see him tonight!!!!! :D :D :D

His foster mom called us last night to set up a meeting. He's at a Petsmart, so we're going to meet them there tonight. And she says that after that "if" we still want him ("if," she says. :rolleyes: ), she'll bring him to us on Saturday. Yyyay!

So, now that it's looking reasonably certain that he'll be our kitty, I'll divulge the name. Unless, of course, he actually answers to "Sadiki," in which case I won't change it. But otherwise, I do believe I'll call him 'Barliman.' Ten points to anyone who knows where the name comes from!

:D

Barbara
04-21-2004, 02:02 PM
This is an exciting story. I remember all the questions we were asked when we applied for Filou. My husband called and the lady asked him how old he was. And when she heard she said: "You know that cats can get older than 20 years!":rolleyes:

Anyway they will find out he cannot find a better place. As for Barliman I have (of course) no idea;)

catnapper
04-21-2004, 02:10 PM
Congrats! Yay! A brother for Rizzo!!!! Keeping fingers crossed that all goes well tonight!

lbaker
04-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Barliman Butterbur......... awwwww. Suits him ;)

RedHedd
04-21-2004, 02:18 PM
Barliman Butterbur
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Man of Bree, the keeper of the Prancing Pony inn where Frodo Baggins met Aragorn for the first time.

Aww! It suits him!

kimlovescats
04-21-2004, 02:19 PM
How exciting!!! He is such a handsome boy, can't wait to hear the good and final news!!!:D

sirrahbed
04-21-2004, 02:57 PM
YAY!!!! but....SATURDAY??? That is forever!!!:D :D
Patience is NOT one of by best virtues:rolleyes:
Sounds great Twink! You must be so thrilled! Sounds like this adoption is really going to happen! It was really meant to be:) What a sweetheart you are going to have. I am looking forward to pictures and stories!! Hope it goes like Dylan...we put him out in the cage for everyone to sniff and then into a spare bedroom. We let the others sniff him through the door and since there was no hissing, we let them all in....they followed him all around the house like he had been there forever and that was that!! I probably should have been more cautious healthwise, but he seemed so very healthy. OH!!! fun fun FUN!!!

Twink
04-21-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by RedHedd
Barliman Butterbur
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Man of Bree, the keeper of the Prancing Pony inn where Frodo Baggins met Aragorn for the first time.

Aww! It suits him!

Points for RedHedd and lbaker! :) I knew there had to be other Lord of the Rings fans out there. I like to name pets (and stuffed pets!) after characters from books, movies and TV series that I'm particularly fond of. No Muppet names suited this guy, so I went straight to LotR! The only other name I liked for him was Digory from the Chronicles of Narnia. But Barliman's better. ;)

RedHedd
04-21-2004, 03:29 PM
I must confess I cheated and Googled Barliman! ;)

Twink
04-21-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by RedHedd
I must confess I cheated and Googled Barliman! ;)

Tsk. No points for you!

;) :D

Twink
04-21-2004, 03:54 PM
YAY!!!! but....SATURDAY??? That is forever!!!:D :D
Patience is NOT one of by best virtues:rolleyes:

Yeah, I feel about the same way! I can't wait to go see him tonight. I'll bring my camera and try to get you guys some pictures. The good thing is that we're meeting at Petsmart, so I can buy his food and water bowls and a new scratching post when we leave! I think I have everything else. Oh, and this'll give me time to give the apartment a good cleaning in honor of the new arrival.
:D

I hope the introduction process goes as smoothly as Dylan's did. I think maybe it will. I can't imagine either Rizzo or Sadiki/Barley being too contentious, but then I could be wrong. Who knows the mind of cat? :rolleyes:

catnapper
04-21-2004, 03:59 PM
So will you be bringing home his own stuffed seal too?

Twink
04-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
So will you be bringing home his own stuffed seal too?

Ya know, not a bad idea.... :D

Maybe this cat will take a liking to stuffed bunnies. Or I think I have a dog or two up there. . . .

Barbara
04-22-2004, 09:58 AM
Oh Barliman! In the German edition of Lord of the Rings all the names are translated too this is why I had no chance- I never read it in English. But I bed I'd know any German name from that book :D :D :D

Randi
04-22-2004, 10:32 AM
He is absolutely gorgeous, who could resist him!!! You must be on needles and pins to get him home!

Looking forward to see more pictures and hear how the introduction goes.

Twink
04-22-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Barbara
Oh Barliman! In the German edition of Lord of the Rings all the names are translated too this is why I had no chance- I never read it in English. But I bed I'd know any German name from that book :D :D :D

Cool!!! Now I'm intrigued. How do they translate the names? Do you have some examples handy? ;) I wonder how they translate them at all, since they don't mean anything, really.... (I, by the way, am a book geek! :D :rolleyes: )

Just to update, we went and saw Barliman last night. Poor baby REALLY wants to get out of Petsmart. A lot of the other cats hissed at him when he was out of his cage and meeting us. :( He stared down and hissed back at a little black cat, but ran and tried to hide from a big orange Maine Coon type. :rolleyes: (that cat, by the way, was SUPER friendly to humans, squeaked like a hyena or cape hunting dog or something, and looked an awful lot like Mishi!). Anyway, I forgot my camera. Sorry! But Barli is a doll baby, and I can't wait to get him home and settled, and to get to know him when he's not so stressed! He's coming home on Saturday afternoon. Yayyyy! :D :D

prechrswife
04-22-2004, 12:49 PM
Congratulations on your coming new addition! BTW, my husband, who is a huge LOTR fan, heartily approves of your choice of names.:)

sirrahved
04-22-2004, 01:43 PM
So, have you had a Rizzo and Barliman encounter yet?

Twink
04-22-2004, 02:18 PM
Nope, not yet. I toyed with the idea of bringing Rizz with me last night, but decided against it. He doesn't much like being away from home. Glad I didn't, now. Barli was stressed, and Rizz would have been stressed, and neither of them would have been acting like themselves. It would have been a negative first impression. ;) When Barli comes home Saturday, I'm going to try to do the introduction the "right," slow way, but . . . we'll see what happens!

RedHedd
04-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Twink
but ran and tried to hide from a big orange Maine Coon type. :rolleyes: (that cat, by the way, was SUPER friendly to humans, squeaked like a hyena or cape hunting dog or something, and looked an awful lot like Mishi!). Sounds like my boy! He's super friendly and has his own language of squeaks, meowrps and sometimes sounds like he's muttering under his breath. I wasn't home last night so he may have wandered out for a bit and isn't telling me!

krazyaboutkatz
04-23-2004, 12:09 AM
Congrats on your new addition!!!:D
Barliman is gorgeous and it sure sounds like he has a great personality too. I'm sure that he'll fit in purrfectly with Rizzo.:) I can't wait to see pictures of both of them together.:)