PDA

View Full Version : Nice Kittly, Kitty...

BassetHound08
08-12-2001, 04:10 PM
Okay, my cat has never hissed in her life until a month ago when an orange cat fell asleep on our front porch. She must have saw him out the window cause she started meowing, and carrying on until I let her out. A few minutes later I heard this loud hissing noise and I thought, "What the heck is going on out there?" Well, when I walked outside there she was hissing at this other cat. Right away I picked her up told her she was a bad kitty. For awhile she didn't hiss at all, so I figured the other cat must have done somthing to her.
Well just the other day My one friend who lives out of state came to vist me. And when he came in and sat next to my cat (who was sleeping), he started petting her and saying, "Hey cutie." Out of nowhere she started hissing at him...
Why is she starting to hiss?? If you could help me out that would be great!
~Cailin :confused:

labonte_lover18
08-13-2001, 03:45 PM
First of all, I think your cat could be a non-social feline. It sounds like she doesnt get along with other cats. You shouldnt tell her she's bad unless she does someting destructive or something that she shouldnt do. Just because she was hissing, doesnt mean she's bad. Maybe she's not used to other cats. If the orange cat was sleeping, maybe your cat picked up the other cat's smell and it seemed weird her. Give her a while, I'm sure she'll break through... :p

4 feline house
08-14-2001, 01:22 PM
It is completely, utterly normal for a cat to hiss at another cat who has invaded his or her territory. It is also completely, uttlerly normal for a startled cat to hiss. I'm sure your friend woke her from a sound sleep. Your cat is not being bad, she is being a cat.

Davis Family
08-19-2001, 01:47 PM
Our kitty, Lily (who looks alot like the kitty in 4 feline house's signature above), has hissed and growled and lashed out at one of the neighborhood cats when he went walks by the porch windows. It's sort of scary when she sort of loses control and it's hard to pry her away from the screen. The "enemy" cat belongs to a friend of our parents and he's a really nice and lucky black cat. (here's that black cat in the moment of being hissed and growled at: :eek: )
-Davis twin sons

4 feline house
08-19-2001, 09:33 PM
Davises - I have a kitty that looks like the one in my sig, too! Her name is Pepper. Her mom, Peaches, also fights the neighborhood cats - through the window! When her kids were still little kittens that needed protecting, she fought one cat so hard they broke the window!!! She does it now with the two cats upstairs, but I noticed recently instead of innocently walking by the window, they come scrapping for a fight! So Peaches is not allowed in my son's room anymore, since that's the one they mostly fight through - and when they do, it sounds like someone's trying to break into the house!