PDA

View Full Version : Helpful training information?

AngelZoo
04-18-2004, 10:34 AM
Does anyone have any helpful training information for older STUBBORN dogs, who could care less about training?

Shelteez2
04-18-2004, 11:33 AM
Well you have to make them care about it. Find out what they love the absolute most and then use it to your advantage. You need to find out what motivates them to do things they might not normally do, whether that be a really yummy treat, or a favorite toy, or a game of fetch or tug.

You may also want to check out clicker training as it lets your dog figure out what you want on its own without you interfering :)

Clicker Training (http://www.clickertraining.com/home/index.htm)

Clicker Solutions (http://www.clickersolutions.com/)

Good luck!

guster girl
04-18-2004, 11:54 AM
And, make your training sessions no more than five, MAYBE ten minutes. The session should never get boring to your dog. Always stop while they are really into it. I recommend training with a clicker. And, again, find out what your dog really likes. If he likes food, give him food. If he likes praise more, stick with that. A toy, whatever. It has to be custom fit for your dog. But, I think one of the biggest things is making the sessions short. It's better to do ten five minute sessions a day than one or two long, stressful sessions. Good luck!

binka_nugget
04-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Keep things really positive for the dog. As the others have mentioned, find what works best for the dog. For Kai, food worked okay until he decided he was better off doing something else. He could care less about toys. Kaedyn's the same way. I do use corrections but I find myself rarely correcting them anymore and I keep things really positive especially after correcting them. You can still tell they're having a good time cause they're wagging their tails and doing things so enthusiastically. Anywho, find what works best for your dog. And clicker training is something to look into. It works so well for so many dogs.

lovemyshiba
04-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Is this a shiba you're trying to train???

I say, forget about it--you might have better luck training a cat!!;)

Glacier
04-18-2004, 03:19 PM
If you're looking for a good book on this subject, check out "so your dog's not Lassie" . The author has bulldogs and is very experienced with stubborn breeds.

AngelZoo
04-18-2004, 10:58 PM
hee hee, yes this is my foster shiba. I've even had other shibas before, and other breeds known to be stubborn and had success with them. But this little girl, she just totally blows me off, lol.

She's not really motovated for anything, treats/toys/attention you name it.
I've gotten her to sit, and wait for her meals daily (which is a large step up) but I really don't think she fully understands, because when I give her the release command and get all excited that she did a "good wait" she just sits there stairing off at the wall instead of coming and getting her food. :rolleyes:

I can try the clicker training, though idealy I would like to do it with out it.

jenfer
04-18-2004, 11:30 PM
I would suggest doing Clicker Training too. :) Good luck in training the doggie. :)