PDA

View Full Version : Iditarod Cruelty. CBS Thinks It's O.K....

QueenScoopalot
04-17-2004, 06:06 PM
PLEASE CROSSPOST

From the Sled Dog Action Coalition, http://www.helpsleddogs.org

Making Iditarod cruelties seem romantic, CBS News Sunday Morning, a national TV program, said that mushers are "chasing the memory of a time when the hearts of men and dogs were the most powerful engines in the land." Its website describes the Iditarod as fun, and has a photo of the 2004 Iditarod race winner.

Their report did not mention any cruelites that the dogs endure or that two dogs died in the 2004 race or that dogs were made to run for 12 hour stretches without rest.

Please let CBS know that the Iditarod is a shamless, bloody business by emailing the show's executive producer, Rand Morrison and Leslie Moonves, CEO of CBS-TV. Sample letter is below email addresses.

EMAILS: [email protected], [email protected]

Sample letter to personalize:

Dear Mr. Moonves and Mr. Morrison:

CBS News Sunday Morning made the cruelties of the Iditarod seem romantic by saying that mushers are "chasing the memory of a time when the hearts of men and dogs were the most powerful engines in the land." The show's website describes the Iditarod as fun, and has a photo of the 2004 Iditarod race winner. The Iditarod is a shamless, bloody business. Please give your viewers and website readers the animal protection side of the Iditarod story.

In the Iditarod, dogs are forced to run 1,150 miles, which is the approximate distance between New York City and Miami, Florida, over a grueling terrain in 8 to 15 days. Dog deaths and injuries are common in the race. USA Today sports columnist Jon Saraceno called the Iditarod "a travesty of grueling proportions" and "Ihurtadog." Fox sportscaster Jim Rome called it "I-killed-a-dog." Orlando Sentinel sports columnist George Diaz said the race is "a barbaric ritual" and "an illegal sweatshop for dogs." USA Today business columnist Bruce Horovitz said the race is a "public-relations minefield."

Please visit the Sled Dog Action Coaliton website http://www.helpsleddogs.org to see pictures, and for more information. Be sure to read the quotes on http://www.helpsleddogs.org/remarks.htm . All of the material on the site is true and verifiable.

At least 122 dogs have died in the Iditarod. There is no official count of dog deaths available for the race's early years. In "WinterDance: the Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod," Gary Paulsen describes witnessing an Iditarod musher brutally kicking a dog to death during the race. He wrote, "All the time he was kicking the dog. Not with the imprecision of anger, the kicks, not kicks to match his rage but aimed, clinical vicious kicks. Kicks meant to hurt deeply, to cause serious injury. Kicks meant to kill."

Causes of death have also included strangulation in towlines, internal hemorrhaging after being gouged by a sled, liver injury, heart failure, and pneumonia. "Sudden death" and "external myopathy," a fatal condition in which a dog's muscles and organs deteriorate during extreme or prolonged exercise, have also occurred.

In the 2001 Iditarod, a sick dog was sent to a prison to be cared for by inmates and received no veterinary care. He was chained up in the cold and died. Another dog died by suffocating on his own vomit. It is unknown how many dogs die in training or after the race.

On average, 54% of the dogs who start the race do not make it across the finish line. Of those that finish, 81% have lung damage.

Tom Classen, retired Air Force colonel and Alaskan resident for over 40 years, tells us that the dogs are beaten into submission:

"They've had the hell beaten out of them." "You don't just whisper into their ears, ‘OK, stand there until I tell you to run like the devil.' They understand one thing: a beating. These dogs are beaten into submission the same way elephants are trained for a circus. The mushers will deny it. And you know what? They are all lying." -USA Today, March 3, 2000 in Jon Saraceno's column

Beatings and whippings are common. Jim Welch says in his book Speed Mushing Manual, "I heard one highly respected [sled dog] driver once state that "‘Alaskans like the kind of dog they can beat on.'" "Nagging a dog team is cruel and ineffective...A training device such as a whip is not cruel at all but is effective." "It is a common training device in use among dog mushers...A whip is a very humane training tool."

Mushers believe in "culling" or killing unwanted dogs, including puppies. Many dogs who are permanently disabled in the Iditarod, or who are unwanted for any reason, are killed with a shot to the head, dragged or clubbed to death. "On-going cruelty is the law of many dog lots. Dogs are clubbed with baseball bats and if they don't pull are dragged to death in harnesses....." wrote Alaskan Mike Cranford in an article for Alaska's Bush Blade Newspaper (March, 2000).

Jon Saraceno wrote in his March 3, 2000 column in USA Today, "He [Colonel Tom Classen] confirmed dog beatings and far worse. Like starving dogs to maintain their most advantageous racing weight. Skinning them to make mittens. Or dragging them to their death."

The race has led to the proliferation of horrific dog kennels in which the dogs are treated very cruelly. Many kennels have over 100 dogs and some have as many as 200. It is standard for the dogs to spend their entire lives outside tethered to metal chains that can be as short as four feet long. In 1997 the United States Department of Agriculture determined that the tethering of dogs was inhumane and not in the animals' best interests. The chaining of dogs as a primary means of enclosure is prohibited in all cases where federal law applies. A dog who is permanently tethered is forced to urinate and defecate where he sleeps, which conflicts with his natural instinct to eliminate away from his living area.

Iditarod dogs are unhappy prisoners with no chance of parole. Your viewers and readers deserve to know the truth about this cruel race.

guster girl
04-17-2004, 06:11 PM
Some are more than likely going to disagree with you on this.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?threadid=45833&highlight=iditarod

I don't personally know anything about the treatment of sled dogs, so, I have no opinion on the matter.

Glacier
04-17-2004, 06:11 PM
You're kidding right? The sled dog action coalition is run by a complete nut ball, Marjory Glickman. She lives in Florida, has never been to a working kennel, never seen a sled dog race. Has no interest in learning what sled dogs are really like or how they are really treated. I know several mushers who have offered to give her tours and if she responds at all, she refuses every time. She already knows everything there is to know about sled dogs. :rolleyes:

For a much more accurate portrayal of a sled dog's life check out:
http://sunhusky.com/Facts/

Edit: I should point out that as I write this, I have four working sled dogs asleep beside me!

guster girl
04-17-2004, 06:12 PM
Hi, Glacier! I thought you might respond to this one.... I posted the previous thread about this topic.

Corinna
04-17-2004, 06:49 PM
Boy Glacier you beat me to this one. The info you have Queenscoopsalot. is so wrong and flawed . I have freinds who raise and race and they are better caring people than most pet owners. Please check your info before posting about what you don't know.

CathyBogart
04-17-2004, 09:09 PM
Thanks for clearing this up Glacier! I was rather confused when I read the article since all of your dogs always look so happy and healthy!

As for the woman running the Sled Dog Action Coalition.....:rolleyes: If she doesn't want to do any actual research she's worthless and has no right to say anything.

AngelZoo
04-18-2004, 08:37 AM
I have to but wonder if there are some sled dog racers out there who do give less then adiquit care for their animals.
Nothing would surprise me.
I have wanted to get some dogs into racing just for the fun and exercise of it, but I really don't give a hoot about anything else.

Glacier
04-18-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by AngelZoo
I have to but wonder if there are some sled dog racers out there who do give less then adiquit care for their animals.
Nothing would surprise me.

Of course there are mushers who are abusive or neglectful, just like there are rotten pet dog owners, abusive cat owners and awful horse people. That doesn't mean that all mushers are abusive. Not all pet owners are. This group colors all of us with the same brush, which is my biggest problem with it. I know many mushers and although not all of them take care of their dogs the way I do, I know none who are outright abusive. It's alot easier to change something from the inside. Hard to do much about the odd musher who is a jerk from Florida!!!

IMHO, the biggest problem in dog care for mushers is the same as in other areas--too many puppies!! That's changing though and hopefully will continue to.

I had a friend call me the other night who is a big, competetive musher. He announced he was retiring five of his favorite dogs this summer. I have taken a dog from him before--Pingo was his. So I am just about to go into a speech about how I am not taking his dogs off his hands for him and he needs to be responsible for them blah, blah, blah....When he cuts me off and asks "how do I turn them into house dogs, like you did with Pingo!" :D