PDA

View Full Version : Biting, but nice

kgeorge
08-06-2001, 02:04 PM
What does it mean when my cat gently bites my shoulder or arm, he really just mouths me. I think he wants me to play or may attention or could they be love bites, he doesn't use his claws. He is really gentle.

TheAntiPam
08-06-2001, 04:19 PM
Sounds like you are getting the right kitty message. When little kittens play, they often start out by mock-attacking each other. They learn from mom cat or siblings how to keep from biting too hard during play.

One of my cats actually will gnaw on my fingers as sort of a calming behavior. He is not trying to "eat" me, or hurt me, but those teeth can be sharp! If he gets too rough, I just stop playing and move away from him. This hasn't stopped him from doing it, but keeps things from getting hurtful.

kgeorge
08-07-2001, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the answers everyone, he is really cute when he does that, he also will taps me with his paw and then runs over to his toys to play, he thinks when I sit down to eat breakfast it is playtime so now I bring my coffee in the living room to play while I eat and drink! Only for a cat would I do this.

I_love_cats
06-08-2002, 12:42 AM
He probably wants to play, not trying to hurt you. Just want to sharpening his teeth. Well my cat, Toby he bites that is becuase he has been declawed and that his only defence is biting.

krazyaboutkatz
06-09-2002, 12:09 AM
Storm gives me love bites when he's trying to wake me up. It's usually because he's hungry or because he just wants me to get up. If I pet Pepper too much he'll nip me too. I think he's trying to let me know that he's had enough loving.

tuxluvr
06-09-2002, 09:14 AM
Ritz does this too - she's never bitten down, just puts her mouth around a finger or hand. However when she is in full play mode, we are careful as she gets carried away and thinks we are another of her stuffed toys. We usually do the "go limp" and gentle but firm "NO", then feign disinterest so she doesn't take a more aggressive play stance. I've seen what she does to her toys - if we gave in, I'm guessing I'd have a few stitches and a little less flesh by now. :rolleyes: