PDA

View Full Version : It's Beginning to look alot like CAT-mas

rhonni
12-05-2001, 12:52 PM
Ohhhhhhh myyyyy...its Christmas time again!! What to do about the tree!!! I have a 2 year old, 20 pound, oreo male manx and a 7 month old, 6 pound brown female tabby and I think they are actually fighting over the Christmas tree!!! The first Christmas I had Puddin (manx) he could not stay out of the tree so I had to compromise and use only the top of it. Last year I only had white lights and bows on it, he still managed to get is fat butt in the tree, but the branches wouldnt hold him they would sink the floor instantly...This year, I have the tree up with the lights and bows only and Trouble (tabby) is climbing the darn thing. I was sitting on the couch one night and actually watched her shimmy almost all the way to the top of it!! Now, both of them meet under the tree, they swat at each other and usually the tree ends up on the floor and they end up running thru the house like maniacs!! At least it makes for cute pictures, and a few laughs!! Never a dull moment at my house!!

Merry CAT-mas everyone!!

4 feline house
12-05-2001, 01:34 PM
Hi, Rhonni, I haven't seen you on the boards since LAST Christmas! Welcome back!

NoahsMommy
12-05-2001, 02:14 PM
Rhonni,

Too funny! We just got a new kitten that is climbing the tree too! Our older (6 month old) cat just stares at it...

Do you have a baby gate or pet gate you could put around the tree?

NoahsMommy
12-05-2001, 02:19 PM
Here's a pic of the new kitten, Noel, begining her climb...
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/008/sb/Ys/Ry/ma16239.jpg

:rolleyes:

thelmalu99
12-05-2001, 03:12 PM
Sigh. My roommate was just asking if we're going to get a tree...she wants a natural one. Honestly, I don't really feel like dealing with a tree and the cats...I would rather just string lights around the windows and call it a day. She was like, "well, bah-humbug!", but it's not like that. I love putting up a tree, but since I have had cats again, I would just rather not deal with the mess. They already knock over everything that's not nailed down. Am I being horrible?

rhonni
12-05-2001, 04:01 PM
Petgate? Babygate? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Sorry...good idea, too bad I have supercats with super feline powers at my house...It's really kinda funny...I make my husband pick the tree up and I really want to get a picture of both of them in the tree together...oh and forget about putting gifts under the tree!! Last year, when I did that, my oreo put teeth marks on the gifts...I cant help but love my babies though.

Hi Leah!! I have a new furbaby...her name is trouble. A guy came to work one day with 3 kittens and I took all 3 of them home with me...I originally name them Sausage, Egg and Cheese. Egg and Cheese went to live with my neice and nephew and Sausage (Trouble) lives with me!!

tuxluvr
12-05-2001, 04:30 PM
Perhaps you could compromise with an artificial tree. Can't speak to the multi-cat household, but Ritz didnt' really bother it last year - there was one ornament she sort of obsessed over, but once we moved it out of her visual range, she lost interest and slept under the tree on the skirt.

Of course, she could surprise me this year. :)

Karen
12-05-2001, 09:24 PM
Logan, you'll notice I edited your post! You don't need to display the whole URL, you can just use the "URL" button in the window where you type the message, paste your URL, and when the next dialog box pops up, type something shorter, as I put "here". A long URL makes the window default to its width, and was wreaking havoc with "Today's active topics"' size, too!

Edwina's Secretary
12-06-2001, 08:50 AM
I've been very lucky with Edwina and trees. We had natural trees her first couple of Christmases and now have an artifical one. She LOVES to sit under the tree (and pretend she is in the wild??) and will occasionally look at low hanging ornaments with a bit of interest. But that is it. She even let me run the train and merely looks at with barely concealed boredom!

rhonni
12-06-2001, 09:35 AM
my tree IS artificial!! Someone suggested to me to put some eucalyptus at the bottom on my tree saying that it is a natural deterrent for cats, last year when I brought some home my fat baby smelled it and started rubbing his head on it...hahahaha...I even tried those cat repellents that you get a pet stores and that did not work either...I cant help but laugh though

CATS RULE!!

BigCharles
12-06-2001, 01:06 PM
My friend, ThunderingBull, used to have a spring loaded tree stand. He had gotten tired of putting the tree back up several times a day.

One day I was snoozing in the living room recliner and the tree was in the adjoining dinning room. One cat climbed all the way to the top of the tree. The other two followed up the same side of the tree but only made it half way. The sound of the tree going over woke me up.

With the tree laying over, the two cats midway up just let go and ran off. The small cat clinging to the top branch was to frightend to let go, then. Physics, and the strong springs, took over.

As I watched the tree come back up, I realized that I was down range. :eek:

I put my hands up to try to catch the newest member of air-borne. Poor cat was not 'pulted that far. No damage to cat.

Bobbie
12-07-2001, 01:26 PM
Campino shows a little interest in the tree (real one) but nothing that we are to worried about. He seemed to like the presents under the tree a little more, but he wasn't interested for to long and left them alone before he did any real damage. :D

purrley
12-07-2001, 01:45 PM
One Xmas my cat was running around with something hanging out of his butt which turned out to be an ice cycle. That was the last time I had a xmas tree. I decorate windows, have some center pieces, but no tree - it's not worth the aggrevation to me.

4 feline house
12-07-2001, 03:12 PM
BigC - http://cwm.mengi.net/s/contrib/Bizkit/sweat.gif

Now, to figure out if you're a gifted comedy writer or if that's a true story......

BigCharles
12-07-2001, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Leah S:
<STRONG>Now, to figure out if you're a gifted comedy writer or if that's a true story......</STRONG>

In this case, both. TB is the one who taught me about cats. After working with him for a couple of years, his house seemed like a second home. It was near our office when we were running the insurance agency and I used to crash there.

His parrot did not like the cats. Their dog, Missy, would chase the cats around. If more than one cats was near the bottom of the cage, that bird would start in:

"Missy!"
"Missy!"
{whistle}
{whistle}
{whistle}
"Here girl!"

My talent is in being able to tell the true stories in a way that points out the humor. I have some sad ones too, but I just don't want to spend my remaining time on them. Too many sad stories these days. I feel better telling the funny and happy ones.

Glad that you enjoy them.

[ December 07, 2001: Message edited by: BigCharles ]

4 feline house
12-08-2001, 12:05 AM
BigC - so, I guess the little guy was "cat"apulted across the room!

sasvermont
12-08-2001, 10:08 AM
Well, I decided to get a real tree this year even though I have two young cats and have advised other folks to wait until their pets grow up more, to tempt them with such a thing. So far, the cats have not been too impressed with it. The spot where I have the tree has freed up a window sill at the same time and the cats seemed more impressed with that than having the tree in front of the window. Tonight I shall put decorations on the tree. We shall see. I also secured the tree stand to a piece of plywood so that it will be less likely to fall over. I might have to tie the tree top to a ceiling hook as well, but hope that it will not be necessary. Anyone have any better ideas? Wish me luck! :eek: :rolleyes:

cr7clark
12-10-2001, 08:52 AM
Here's your "good luck" wish. Sounds like you've done everything in your power to stabilize the tree. You might want to keep Christmas ornaments off of the bottom limbs of the tree, just so they won't sway and tempt the kitties :)