PDA

View Full Version : Restraining in a car & booster seat question

elizabethann
04-16-2004, 01:50 PM
How do you restrain your dog in your car? I have a terrier mutt (about 20 pounds). Do you use a dog seat belt? What about a crate? Also, has anybody purchased a booster seat for their smaller dogs? Does your dog seem to enjoy it? How is your dog restrained in its booster seat? Any advice would be very appreciative. I am new to this forum & this is my first question. I hope you can all help me. Thanks!

anna_66
04-16-2004, 02:00 PM
I personally crate our dog when they are in the car. I don't mind if they ride in the back uncrated around town, but when we go long distance I always crate them. They seem happier so that makes me happy:) I also think it's alot safer.

I also wanted to Welcome you to PT:D

Tina
04-16-2004, 02:14 PM
If we just go for short rides then the dogs either ride in the front or back uncrated.

But if we go on a trip somewhere then the dogs ride some of the time uncrated and part of the time crated.

G.P.girl
04-16-2004, 02:22 PM
there are special dog "seat belts" you can buy , it's like a harness and it plugs in to the seabelt thing somehow. i've never actually used one, but i've heard they work pretty well. BW, welcome to PT i'm Shannon and i have a rabbit named Cadbury (you can see him in my sig)

guster girl
04-16-2004, 04:59 PM
I think a crate would be good, if you have one that fits in your vehicle. Finn's crate doesn't fit in my car. But, he rides really well, and, I'm going to get him one of those dog harnesses that hooks to the seatbelt. For now, I just let him keep his regular harness on and I sortof rig his leash handle and hook to the seatbelt so that even if he tried to, he wouldn't go far. and, if, god forbid, we were in an accident, he woudn't go far. And, they even make little car seats for smaller dogs. I'm sure you could find one online. Maybe drs foster and smith?

countrycowgirl
04-16-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Tina
If we just go for short rides then the dogs either ride in the front or back uncrated.

But if we go on a trip somewhere then the dogs ride some of the time uncrated and part of the time crated.

SAME HERE
BY THE WAY WELCOME TO PT!! :D