PDA

View Full Version : Household tips....

Tonya
04-15-2004, 10:19 PM
The least favorite chore thread made me think of this...Do you have any good household tips?

My best tip that I live by is OVEN CLEANER. I buy it by the dozen at the dollar store and use it on counters, toilets, sinks, bathtubs, you name it. Just be sure not to inhale it, it hurts to breathe.

Miss Meow
04-15-2004, 10:23 PM
Is that the nuclear bomb approach to cleaning?! :D

I use Enjo cleaners as the fibres clean most things without needing chemicals. The white bathroom glove and chamois are legendary!

Nomilynn
04-15-2004, 10:25 PM
Hmm.. the best way to keep a clean house is to NOT let Bassett pee on stuff :p

Seriously though, I don't really have any tips :confused: It will be interesting to read this thread to get ideas :)

Shelteez2
04-15-2004, 10:28 PM
My tip is to make enough money to hire a maid......LOL

Or do what I do........I use child labor (aka my sisters). They work for cheap.....LOL

captain
04-15-2004, 11:02 PM
One I heard which is fabulous :

Clean Tile Grout grunge using Tea Tree Oil ............

AND

Soda Water on a Red Wine stain

popcornbird
04-15-2004, 11:10 PM
I have one. Rub toothpaste on faucets and wash it off. It makes chrome faucets sooooo shiny. :p

shais_mom
04-15-2004, 11:32 PM
I use efferdent tablets to clean a lot of stuff just drop them in and let them soak.
Litter box, toilet, dishes that have burnt stuff, dog/cat dishes.

tomkatzid
04-16-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom
I use efferdent tablets to clean a lot of stuff just drop them in and let them soak.
Litter box, toilet, dishes that have burnt stuff, dog/cat dishes.

works great in flower vases too

lynnestankard
04-16-2004, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by captain
One I heard which is fabulous
Clean Tile Grout grunge using Tea Tree Oil ............

Right I'm off upstairs to attack the bathroom......................errr.............wel l... I will when I've got the Tea Tree oil :D Probably get some Efferdent tablets at the same time! :D

Lynne

Tonya
04-16-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird
I have one. Rub toothpaste on faucets and wash it off. It makes chrome faucets sooooo shiny. :p

Ahhah...is that what Jaden is trying to do? Everytime he brushes his teeth, there winds up being toothpaste everywhere!

guster girl
04-16-2004, 08:08 PM
Febreze is awesome for everything and everywhere! I use it daily.

anna_66
04-18-2004, 07:50 AM
Bounce sheets are great for all types of things.

Wipe your tv screen with one and it keeps the dust from building up.

Or put one in a pan with stuck on food, add a little water & soak for a little bit, it will lift all the gunk right out!

Wipe the dogs with one, keeps static electricity down in their fur.

captain
04-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Another one ......

Notice how kettles get that "scale" inside them!

Well, natural cleaning is half white vineger, half water - bring to the boil.

Let stand until COLD ...................... tip out the water and VOILA!!
If REALLY, REALLY DIRTY - REPEAT!!

P.S. Just a side note, your house will smell like vinegar for about 2 hours afterwards. So maybe boil the kettle OUTSIDE!!!

Aspen and Misty
04-18-2004, 06:55 PM
I didn't read this whole thread, I hope this wasn't posted already

***This one can save your life - Don't use bleach to get ride of Pee, because the Amonia in it mixed with Bleach creats a deadly odor that can kill. It will burn your throat and lungs!! Use White Vinger instead.

Ash

cubby31682
04-19-2004, 05:59 AM
If some how you spill candle wax (like I have) Get a paper lunch bag, put some papertowel inside the lunch bag. Get the iron, set the iron onto of the bag and for a few seconds, lift the bag and repeat as needed. The wax will absord into the papertowel, and not onto your iron. ;)

For stains on your countertops, baking powder I think it is, and viniger rub it in and the stain will be gone, you might have to repeat.

RICHARD
04-19-2004, 02:40 PM
this is another 'boiled vinegar' recipe...

Clogged drain????

Pour some baking soda into the drain, then heat a cup of vinegar
and pour it in...

Don't be scared about the fizziness/chemical reaction- the drain will not blow up!!

You might have to do this a couple of times.....It works better than
the harsh chemical decloggers!

captain
04-19-2004, 05:29 PM
Vinegar ..................... the master of all cleaning.

CHIPS anyone???? :D

slick
04-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Ewwwwww, your cat just left an icky poo on the rug and if you try to wipe it up now it will spread.

Easy solution: let dry and vacuum.

Let it be known that I've only done this once and it worked like a charm, however I didn't like having to walk around it all the time, never mind the appearance and odour.