PDA

View Full Version : Does your pet eat nuts?

Andiphant
04-15-2004, 03:30 PM
We've discovered that Huey loves Pistachios. Just wondered if any one else's pet thinks that nuts are a good treat.

http://img46.photobucket.com/albums/v142/andiphant/Huey/100_2457.jpg

Karen
04-15-2004, 03:41 PM
Miss Hoppy loves her seed treats, does that count? ;)

G.P.girl
04-15-2004, 04:08 PM
Cadbury loves nuts! but then again he loves pretty much anything

popcornbird
04-15-2004, 07:18 PM
My birds LOVE nuts............almonds, walnuts, pistachios, cashews, pine nuts.........they love them all.

teenster3
04-16-2004, 11:53 PM
Huey's so cute!!:)
Yep, my dogs love peanuts too......well, any kind of "human" food that is! They're not very picky when it comes to eating!:D

Lilith Cherry
04-17-2004, 12:51 AM
My dog goes crazy for walnuts and cashews but will also eat peanuts:D ....Another dog I used to have loved raw carrots better than bones!!

Dogz
04-17-2004, 10:34 AM
I've actually never tried feeding them nuts. I am sure Digger, Prince, and Chubby would like them; they are not picky. I'm not sure about Otis though-- picky little bugger! ;)

Jessika
06-02-2007, 11:19 PM
OK I'm sorry to bump this but I have a similar question....... I've already searched this on google and found conflicting information about how they can be toxic and others say they can be harmless. I'm assuming the latter since the first post says their dog loves pistachios and nobody replied saying they are toxic.... but that's the very question I have. Are pistachios safe for dogs?

We've always given Charlie some when HJ eats them and haven't run into any problems... but today I thought I might look it up, and found some "opinions" saying they can be toxic!! So I just want to be sure. :)

luvofallhorses
06-02-2007, 11:40 PM
No, I do not feed my pets nuts however Jenny likes sunflower seeds sometimes. :)

Whisk_Luva
06-03-2007, 04:05 AM
Whisk (my hamster) eats nuts and seeds ;)

Blue Dragonfly
06-03-2007, 08:05 AM
Boof will eat nuts, but he prefers his yogurt drops, dried apricots, banana, and anything that we are eating. lol.

kittycats_delight
06-03-2007, 11:31 AM
OK I'm sorry to bump this but I have a similar question....... I've already searched this on google and found conflicting information about how they can be toxic and others say they can be harmless. I'm assuming the latter since the first post says their dog loves pistachios and nobody replied saying they are toxic.... but that's the very question I have. Are pistachios safe for dogs?

We've always given Charlie some when HJ eats them and haven't run into any problems... but today I thought I might look it up, and found some "opinions" saying they can be toxic!! So I just want to be sure. :)

I will see what I can find out for you. I know some nuts are toxic but not sure which ones. I will check our dog encyclopedia

ETA:
Ok I go this from Our 'Complete Dog Encyclopedia'

Macadamia nuts - The toxic compound is unknown but eating as few as six nuts without the shell has been known to cause elevated body temperature, accelerated heartbeat, tremors in the skeletal muscles, and weakness or paralysis of the hindquarters. Affected dogs have difficulty or are unable to rise, are distressed and usually panting.Some affected dogs have had swollen limbs and showed pain when the limb was manipulated. Dogs did recover from the muscle weakness and pain and it is not known if there have been any fatal cases. Macadamia butter is included in this warning.

Nuts - Nuts in general are not good for dogs as their high phosphorus content may lead to bladder stones

And I found several sites that says the same thing.
This is from this (http://www.entirelypets.com/toxicfoods.html) website.

Macadamia Nuts:
Macadamia nuts are another concern, along with most other kinds of nuts. Their high phosphorus content is said to possibly lead to bladder stones. Dogs develop a tremor of the skeletal muscles, and weakness or paralysis of the hindquarters. Affected dogs are often unable to rise and are distressed, usually panting. Some affected dogs have swollen limbs and show pain when the limbs are manipulated.

NOTE: Pets owners should not assume that human food is always safe for pets. When it comes to chocolate, onions, garlic and macadamia nuts, such foods should be given in only small quantities, or not at all. Be sure that your pets can’t get into your stash of chocolates, that food scraps are disposed of carefully to prevent onion and garlic toxicity and that your dog is prevented from picking up macadamia nuts if you have a tree in your garden.

Jessika
06-03-2007, 12:37 PM
OK thank you so much. So a few every now and then is ok, but macadamia nuts are a BIG no-no. Thank you a TON for your help :)

kittycats_delight
06-03-2007, 01:09 PM
OK thank you so much. So a few every now and then is ok, but macadamia nuts are a BIG no-no. Thank you a TON for your help :)

It is no problem at all. I used to only give a little peanut butter now and then and never the nuts. Atleast if Artica begs for a hazelnut now and then she can have one or 2. Artica begs for everything. LOL

Kalei
06-03-2007, 01:59 PM
My pets don't eat nuts but they sure eat like nuts:p Just to give an idea, my cat likes Sour Cream and Onion Rings lol.

Almita
06-03-2007, 05:04 PM
My pets don't eat any or never tried them. Never gave them some. Maybe peanuts but not sure. They'll eat anything though.