PDA

View Full Version : Wallaby in Petstore

QueenScoopalot
04-15-2004, 03:08 PM
I got an email regarding a wallaby stuffed in a plexiglass enclosure in a petstore in Port Jefferson Long Island N.Y. At first it appeared as though the owners were going to release "Tyson" to a santuary where he'd have others of his kind, and room to do what wallabys are supposed to do...jump. Now I get this email that they are NOT going to release this depressed animal, and no animal agency has done anything to facilitate the removal of this wild animal. :mad: :mad: :mad: I attached the email in hopes someone will have some logical solutions to free this miserable wallaby to a more natural environmAt first it looked like they would turn it over to a sanctuary, now they won't.

Does anyone know ANYTHING/ANYONE that can help in that area.

Most agencies have been contacted previously, but no one is helping. They claim that Tyson is HAPPY! GRR!

Please reply to Jenie below.

Mary
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 13:24
To: Jenie
Subject: UPDATE - Wallaby in pet store - HELP NEEDED!

Sad update everyone -

The store owner says Tyson isn't leaving the store. The activist working very hard on this case called the pet store again today and got the girlfriend of the store owner on the phone, who is also the co-owner. She took a message since the store owner wasn't in, but said that Tyson is staying where he is - the decision was made by the owner.

According to her Tyson is very happy there which we all know is not the case - he would be much more happier in a more natural environment with other animals of his kind. They did receive the pamphlet that was sent to them on the sanctuary that is willing the take Tyson, but Tyson is still staying where he is.

We need to elevate this to the next level. Does anyone live in the are of Port Jefferson, Long Island - NY? Does anyone have any ideas that we can use? Does anyone have the free time they can put forth to help us? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone can get there, please contact me immediatly and I will give you an area to check also with a turtle that they had their in a tubberware box with no food or water and no room to turn around - the Suffolk SPCA was called on them but I never got a response back from them on what happened. Does anyone have media contacts that won't believe what the store owners say about him being happy?

Please help Tyson!!!
Jenie
ent.

leslie flenner
04-15-2004, 09:10 PM
well crud. I thought this little wallaby was home free. I hope someone knows something. Can someone contact an animal legal association? We have them here, they must have them in NY! Someone would have to make the initial call and get the ball rolling. There must be federal regs about keeping wild animals as pets. this is a pet situation since he is not for sale. Is it legal to have a wallaby as a pet? Why do I think not? Is it legal to break in and steal the wallaby and bring him to the sanctuary? It SHOULD BE!!

Twisterdog
04-15-2004, 09:19 PM
Do they have a permit for keeping this animal? Furthermore, is it even legal to keep one WITH a permit?

I'd start by checking out local, state and federal legality first.

leslie flenner
04-15-2004, 09:25 PM
so you can see, jan, this has been going on for several months and we need to know what has already been done so we don't repeat advise and recommendations that have been tried and failed. Would also be helpful to KNOW what has been tried and failed.
I know the pet store got visits from animal control kind of places and assume they have the proper paperwork in place. In NY, is it legal? A wild animal right? Do you know? You probably told me and I forgot!
Ps hope all your kittens are ok (newbies today! yikes!) But put answering this above all else!!! (kidding).

luckies4me
04-15-2004, 11:02 PM
Um, there are many many people who keep wallablies. In fact, I plan on having a bottle baby one day. :) They are bred in captivity, not captured from the wild and from the ones I have seen, they are happy, well adjusted animals who bond very closey to their humans. My only concern would be what he is kept in. They should be housed in outdoor enclosures once they are old enough.

leslie flenner
04-16-2004, 07:54 PM
Well thanks for the info! I wonder if there is a web site one can look at to see exactly what they need? Apperently this one is quite miserable. There is no taking him outdoors, just the small glassed in enclosure. My understanding is that he had no water when someone went in and when they said this to the manager, they got a rude response. I don't remember all the details but there has been cause for getting this wallaby to a better place. Know anyone who would adopt him? (kidding!)

luckies4me
04-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by leslie flenner
Well thanks for the info! I wonder if there is a web site one can look at to see exactly what they need? Apperently this one is quite miserable. There is no taking him outdoors, just the small glassed in enclosure. My understanding is that he had no water when someone went in and when they said this to the manager, they got a rude response. I don't remember all the details but there has been cause for getting this wallaby to a better place. Know anyone who would adopt him? (kidding!)

Ya, Me! LOL

Well whatever they are doing with him he is not in the right environment. They are legal in NY so that's not a problem but they really need a lot of room. Until they are done weaning they are kept inside, so that may be why he has no water, as he might be bottle feeding still. Even still there is no excuse to keep him in such a tiney place. I would be concerned they are keeping him as a novelty. Plus, in order to display exotic animals in a store you need a class C license from the USDA.

luckies4me
04-16-2004, 08:53 PM
If you go to the USDA site you can look at the state they are in and it will list the store if they are licensed or not, and tell which license they have. If they are not listed, you can report them to the USDA.

leslie flenner
04-16-2004, 09:02 PM
Good info! Jan- are you getting this? the wallaby is full grown, right? That's my memory...
Thanks for the info- pet talk is a great learning and helpful tool for sure! Thanks again!

luckies4me
04-16-2004, 09:06 PM
If you give me the name of the store I can check for you.

leslie flenner
04-16-2004, 09:36 PM
Go to the email address above, the woman who has been trying to fix this problem. I looked in all my old emails and only found that yes, they are USDA approved. Jan just told me he is kept in a tiny plexy glass enclosure and is absolutely miserable. Apperantly the enclosure is like the ones they make for clowns at fairs where they sit and wait to be dunked (?), she told me.

QueenScoopalot
04-16-2004, 09:40 PM
If you email Jenie (her emails in the post above) she can give details of where this place is. This is an adult wallaby from what I know, and very depressed and miserable having no sunshine or excersise space. A internet friend went there and said the place is awful. She also gave me the link for contacting the media. This poor animal should be with his own kind, and not stuffed in a plexiglass tank for the amusement of people.
:mad: :mad: :mad: http://www.news12.com/Home --have Jenie call or e mail them and I will do the same and have others contact them also--News 12 will be a big help I think--maybe you can call and have others too--the more people they hear from--the better chances we have---worth a shot anyhow!!! The link & comments are from karen who lives fairly close to this place.

delidog
04-17-2004, 07:07 AM
Have you tried N.S.A.L.????
They are North Shore Animal League...They are near Port Jeff..
they help All animals....
Also,Send a note to Best Friends....
bestfriends.com
They have contacts ALL over the U.S.
I think it is nsal.org........if not try nsal.com....
Good Luck with this special Critter!!!