PDA

View Full Version : Most irritating home appliance

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-15-2004, 02:54 PM
This is a companion thread to Pam's thread on your least favorite chore.

We recently got a new dryer and it buzzes when the laundry is dry. If you don't immediately take the laundry out, it'll buzz again after, I think, 10 minutes or so. I absolutely abhor that buzzer!!! Especially when I'm doing something much more important like PT. ;)

So, what are some of your home appliances that have irritating aspects to them? ;)

Katiesmom
04-15-2004, 03:00 PM
My WASHER! Sometimes I catch it trying to go out the back door. It shakes the whole trailor boy I can't wait til my house gets built and its half way there. My washer is so loud if its on I can't watch tv or be on the phone....its so annoying I could throw it out on to the road and let a big truck hit it...:mad: :p

Cinder & Smoke
04-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Dad sez DITTO :mad: on the clothes dryer BUZZER!! :mad:

'Specially kuz us Dawgs fink it's da Door Bell!

Dad getz Reel *crankie* when da Dryer has a load of "whites" that
don't care iffin they get *wrinkely* just layin inna heap...
Load 'er Up an then try to go to sleep...
a hour later **BUZZZZZZZZ** :eek: **WOOF** **WOOOOF!**...

:mad:

Edwina's Secretary
04-15-2004, 03:06 PM
My stove. Because of its existence I am expected to prepare meals. HA!

Kfamr
04-15-2004, 03:26 PM
Hmmm.... I really don't know!!
Probably the icemaker, because when the ice drops the dogs think it's someone!

Pam
04-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary

:D :D Aaah yes! Gone are the days (before microwaves) when you could say "Gee, I was in a rush this morning and forgot to thaw something out for dinner. We'll just have to eat out!" :D

catland
04-15-2004, 03:31 PM
I vote for the dryer - because it only knows how to dry clothes - it doesn't know how to fold them and put them away.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-15-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary

That's a good one Sara! :D :D

G.P.girl
04-15-2004, 04:14 PM
all my appliances hate me...they break when i try to use them them work when people try to fix them for me:rolleyes:

QueenScoopalot
04-15-2004, 04:45 PM
I'll have to say the dryer...it's ancient, second hand (but knock on wood it's been working here for 15 years) but the thing has an annoying squeak while the drum is turning. It has seen umpteenbazziliion loads of laundry enough to wear the enamel off in spots inside. Soooo if I leave a load of white laundry in it and it gets rust stains!

Miss Meow
04-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
This is a companion thread to Pam's thread on your least favorite chore.

We recently got a new dryer and it buzzes when the laundry is dry. If you don't immediately take the laundry out, it'll buzz again after, I think, 10 minutes or so. I absolutely abhor that buzzer!!! Especially when I'm doing something much more important like PT. ;)

So, what are some of your home appliances that have irritating aspects to them? ;)

We got an ASKO and it does that. I love the little light that comes on inside when I open the door, but that infernal buzz drives me nuts!

I don't like the oven because I hate cleaning it.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-15-2004, 04:56 PM
The only thing I've noticed that I suppose is good about that durn buzzer is that it does make me get up and finish the laundry. Sometimes it would sit in a heap in the dryer for days before I'd take it out. Now I take it out a lot earlier just to be rid of that annoying buzzer! ;) :D

carole
04-15-2004, 05:50 PM
Well everything in my home beeps, the washing machine, the fridge,the microwave and the dishwasher, when they have all finished their cycle, good for the fridge though, if someone leaves the door open it beeps, can be a bit fustrating with everything beeping at once lol:) oh yes and then the mobile phones beep as well, and there are four of them here.

Cinder & Smoke
04-15-2004, 06:25 PM
...durn buzzer is that it does make me
get up and finish the laundry.

Sometimes it would sit in a heap in the dryer
for days before I'd take it out.

Now I take it out a lot earlier just to
be rid of that annoying buzzer! ;) :D

:eek: OMG! Dad'z been DOin it wrong... :p

He thunk da Dryer wuz were ya STORED da Stuff!

"Finish" ?? "Take it OUT"!? :confused: :rolleyes:

He nebber read DAT Page inna dryer book!

Ennieway - we're all gettin purdy used to da *drill*...

Dryer's Dun = *BZZZZZZZ* *WOOF* **WOOF** **QUIET**!

10 min later = *BZZZZZZZ* *WOOF* **WOOF** *I SAID *QUIET**!

10 min later = *BZZZZZZZ* *WOOF* **WOOF** ***SHUT UP!!*** -
*It's the D@MN DRYER!!* :mad: *Now go to SLEEP!!!*

10 min later (last call) **BZZZZZZ** *wof* *wooff* *Zzzzzzz*

And the clothes :( *wrinkle* in silence ...

:D

bluekat
04-15-2004, 07:25 PM
I guess its te buzzers on our washer and dryer too. I hate those! They make such a loud annoying sound, and I always jump at the sound of it:p Its so annoying.

Cookiebaker
04-15-2004, 10:19 PM
My stove. It's ancient! It's the only appliance in my kitchen that came with the house. It's dirty, and burned on where you can't clean it off. I can't WAIT for my new kitchen!!! :p

Shelteez2
04-15-2004, 10:34 PM
The only thing I've noticed that I suppose is good about that durn buzzer is that it does make me get up and finish the laundry. Sometimes it would sit in a heap in the dryer for days before I'd take it out. Now I take it out a lot earlier just to be rid of that annoying buzzer! ;) :D

I'm lucky in that every dryer I've used has the option to turn the buzzer off. It drives me crazy too.

As for taking the clothes out.... well when I am living on my own (ie when I am pet sitting) I will just wear my clothes out of the dryer. Get up in the morning, open the dryer pull out some clothes and I'm good to go. Then when I take them off at night they go sit in the washer until there is enough for a full load. LOL

trayi52
04-16-2004, 12:11 AM
I hate my stove, I don't like cooking so I have to say my stove.

tomkatzid
04-16-2004, 12:52 AM
my brand new washer that goes off balance all the time

guster girl
04-16-2004, 01:11 AM
The microwave. It beeps when the food's done, multiple times. It beeps when it's time to turn the defrosting chicken over, it beeps if you don't close the door, it beeps if you close the door, but, don't cancel the remaining six seconds....etc. I've actually found myself talking to the darn thing. "Yeah, yeah, I gotcha, it's time to turn over." :)

lynnestankard
04-16-2004, 04:25 AM
Don's Italian Coffee Maker!!! GRRRRRR

I just HATE that rotten thing. The mess involved in making one cup of coffee is unimaginable. Coffee grounds, milk, sugar all over the counter top - drippy coffee marks all over the white sink, the little coffe ground holders left on the draining board - it hisses and spurts at me - I HATE IT :mad: :mad:

I think I'll pay someone to kidnap it :D

Lynne

Tonya
04-16-2004, 07:21 AM
My refridgerator. About a day after the warantee expired the icemaker and water thingy went out.

Cincy'sMom
04-16-2004, 10:10 AM
I strongly dislike our vacuum cleaner. It is a canister vac that we got as a wedding gift (without registering for one). It is such a pain to try and manuver between couches and around corners. Half the time I end up flipping it over and it turns off. It also doesn't do a terrific job picking up dog hair (although it is better then the $50 upright Eureka I had at my apartment).

Maybe with my first pay check from my new job I'll buy a new one!

Maresche
04-16-2004, 10:29 AM
The washing machine! It and the dryer came with the house, so I shouldn't really complain, but the durn things "walks" a lot and we can't re-balance it because the adjustable feet are long gone. So after I do laundry each week, hubby pushes it back against the wall so I can get 4-5 loads out of it before it pulls the cords away from the wall. Thankfully the electric goes first and not the water....Imagine that mess.....

Cataholic
04-16-2004, 11:23 AM
Well, hmmm..I am not sure I hate any of my home appliances..as they are mostly under 2 years old. Does my flat iron count? I swear it doesn't really get that hot, nor get my hair that flat...and, it never stays closed when I am resting it on the sink.

CathyBogart
04-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Coffee maker! I hate that thing!

Logan
04-16-2004, 12:38 PM
As much as I love having a stove, it is a BEAR to clean, stovetop and oven. I "love" and "hate" it at the same time!!!! LOL!!!! The grill, outside, is the same way!!!!

anna_66
04-16-2004, 02:19 PM
I just despise toasters. It doesn't matter how much I spend ($10 or $40) I can't get one that toasts the same on both sides:rolleyes:

catland
04-16-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow

I don't like the oven because I hate cleaning it.

Sorry Miss Meow, but I just have to brag - we replaced our old falling apart wall oven last year with a self-cleaning one. It is nice.:cool:

carole
04-16-2004, 03:26 PM
A self-cleaning oven, what paradise, I finally have a ceramic top, and that is way easier to clean than my old one, but I still have to clean the inside, and I HATE that., so it does not get done too often, hey who see's it anyhow, at least you can shut the door on it. lol.

RedHedd
04-16-2004, 04:02 PM
The coffee grinder because it's so darned noisy - scares the heck out of the cats and I'm always afraid I'm going to chop my fingers off with those sharp blades. I had one go berserk on me and I couldn't turn it off; had to unplug it - it was possessed!

and my Geo. Forman Grill - that's a love/hate thing: Love the way food turns out cooked on it but it's a BEAR to clean!

popcornbird
04-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by anna_66
I just despise toasters. It doesn't matter how much I spend ($10 or $40) I can't get one that toasts the same on both sides:rolleyes:

Have you ever tried Cuisinart? We have a Cuisinart toaster (actually we have Cuisinart everything :o ), and its an excellent toaster.........does a great job. Our old toaster would always toast one side nicely, and leave the other side soggy, so I know how you feel. :rolleyes:

We live in a new house that is less than 5 years old, and the appliances it came with are all excellent quality, so I really don't dislike any of them. We don't have a buzzer on our dryer either. :p When it ends the cycle, it beeps once, and that's it.............and because the laundry room is away from the rest of the house, we can't hear it too well either.

One thing I REALLY hate is our vacuum though. We really need to get a new one.

Miss Meow
04-16-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by catland
Sorry Miss Meow, but I just have to brag - we replaced our old falling apart wall oven last year with a self-cleaning one. It is nice.:cool:

Please don't say it's the Miele one, or else I'll have to hate you forever :D

Edwina's Secretary
04-16-2004, 08:25 PM
Dear Redhedd,

Re: Your George Foreman. My husband has one (I gave it to him....;) ;) ) and here is how he says to clean it (we use it almost every week night) clean it while it is hot. He has a special brush...same as we use for everything else but only for the GF. No soap, just warm water while it is hot and brush.

L & K

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-17-2004, 11:36 AM
I USED to hate my deep-fryer - the Delongi one with the rotating basket, because it did not come apart to clean. But I recently replaced it with a new one, which has EVERYTHING removable, so I just take it all apart and bung it all in the dishwasher.

I also LOOOOOVE my new Coffee Percolater - it has a timer so I can set it up the night before, and wake up at 6am to fresh-brewed coffee - bliss!!!!!!!

K9soul
04-17-2004, 01:14 PM
I hate our stove. It came with the house when we bought it a few years ago so I'm not too sure how old it is, but the self cleaning function is broken and doesn't work, one of the big burners has to be jiggled sometimes to come on and sometimes will still go off even if the switch is on, and the oven itself has a thermostat that is messed up. I can turn it to 350 and it will heat to 350 and stay there a bit, then suddenly zoom on up to 400 or above and burn anything inside to a crisp. So I have to be paranoid when I use it and keep checking the thermometer we have inside the oven to see if it's staying where it's supposed to.

We really need a new oven range but can't really afford, or at least there are other things that are more needed at the moment.

It'd be a luxury to have an oven/stove that worked right. :rolleyes:

Lillycat
05-05-2004, 07:08 PM
stoves/ovens are great if they are self-cleaning. My newest stove even has a toasting option....i love it.....i threw away my old toaster!!!

BCBlondie
05-05-2004, 08:32 PM
My most irritating home appliance is the telephone... some days it just WON'T STOP RINGING!!!:mad:

QueenScoopalot
05-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by BCBlondie
My most irritating home appliance is the telephone... some days it just WON'T STOP RINGING!!!:mad: And that's the joy of tecnology..caller ID, and shut off options for the phones. Ditto on the aggrevation! When I want to take a rare nap, I turn the phone on, and after the 'dddddddddddddd' it goes off and to voice mail. Zzzzz! Nice options! :D

BCBlondie
05-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Oh..and another annoyance with my phone - when it rains, our phone goes out.. -.-'
It's a fairly new phone too (like a year or two)!! It's just crap lol :p

catnapper
05-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Hand-down... its the electric Can Openener! I simply cannot operate one of them! Brand new or ancient, I can never get it to open a can without puncturing a million holes. I buy pop-top cans whenever possible because of this!

A close second would be the iron. It spits water droplettes when I don't want them and refuses to steam when I do. Then it scorches or isn't hot enough. When will they create self cleaning, self ironing clothes?

As for the dryer, isn't there a way to turn it off? Our buzzer doesn't buzz because we changed the setting... but I know what you mean - my mom's does that and she LIKES it.

QueenScoopalot
05-05-2004, 09:48 PM
To think..I have a "hand operated Swing Away" can opener ca:1978, and still in fine operative condition! Yikes...red in color, to match the kitchen, what was I thinking? * as she faints*

anna_66
05-06-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Have you ever tried Cuisinart?
Nope, but now I'll have to :D

FizzGiggs_Mommy
05-06-2004, 09:12 AM
Hand-down... its the electric Can Openener! I simply cannot operate one of them! Brand new or ancient, I can never get it to open a can without puncturing a million holes.

I hate that thing (Can opener) No matter what I do I just cant get it right. The can will fall off of it will spill juices on the counter..... I get so mad at it I just want to get a chain saw and cut the da** can open (It would probally be much easier:D )

I also dislike the blender! It is so noisy and a pain to clean!

Fallon
05-06-2004, 09:37 AM
i hate my aircleaner, it always vibrates against something, but all of my appliances seem to irritate me somehow.