PDA

View Full Version : What is your least favorite household duty?

Pam
04-15-2004, 01:01 PM
I have just finished changing the sheets and have just realized how much I hate this task. With the mattresses getting thicker and heavier it takes an Arnold Swartenegger (sp?) to lift them to get that bottom sheet on the corners. And oh if you don't have sheets with the deep pockets on the corners forget it! :p Do you have any household task that you hate?

Cataholic
04-15-2004, 01:07 PM
Hmmm..prolly taking out the trash. I hate doing it...and it has to be done every week...thankfully, just once.

As to the changing of the bed linens...it is a herculean task at my house...I have many 'helpers', a duvet cover that must somehow get back onto the duvet, and six feather pillows to stuff in the cases! :eek: But, I love the feeling of fresh linens...

The Cat Factory
04-15-2004, 01:08 PM
I hate doing to dishes!

momoffuzzyfaces
04-15-2004, 01:09 PM
CLEANING THE TOILET!!!
I just hate hate hate that!:eek:

Cincy'sMom
04-15-2004, 01:27 PM
Scrubing the bathtub. ( Luckily, Ralph usually dose this!)

Vacuuming is up there too, mostly cause I dislike out vacuum cleaner and cause there are so many toy to pick up first!

Kfamr
04-15-2004, 01:32 PM
I hate Vacuuming.

The only reason is because Simba is terrified of the vacuum. I hate watching him run around like it's going to kill him or something.

I normally let him outside before someone vacuums but he still gets all nervous.

Katiesmom
04-15-2004, 01:36 PM
I hate it all!!!!!

Most of all though I hate washing dishes and cleaning my sons room...I don't mind changing sheets but i do mind trying to fold fitted sheets I still haven't figured out how to fold them nice and neat yet have any of you?

Christiansmommy
04-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Laundry!!!! It NEVER ends!!!!! I hate folding it...very tedious!! Oh and ironing. I would take washing the toliet over these choirs anyday...although, only of it was my toilet :)

Robyn

Uabassoon
04-15-2004, 01:56 PM
I hate doing dishes! I now know that the next time I move I'm making sure the apartment has a dishwasher!

CountryWolf07
04-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Vaccuuming - Laundry - Dishes - Dusting.

Uabassoon
04-15-2004, 01:58 PM
i do mind trying to fold fitted sheets I still haven't figured out how to fold them nice and neat yet have any of you?

I'm very excited! I finally figured this one out, lets see if I can explain it well. The trick is when you hold out the sheet before you fold it DON'T grab it from the end of the sheet. Grab it by the seam, then that extra corner will fold in. It will make the sheet square so you can fold it normally.

trayi52
04-15-2004, 02:00 PM
I hate doing it all! I am so tired of housework! I hate doing the laundry, seems like instead of growing smaller, it just gets to be more and more and more!!!

I wish the hubby would help do some of it!!

Willie

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Since I have a house cleaner who does the nasty stuff (like the toilets) my most hated chore is doing dishes. Thankfully we have a dishwasher, but not so thankfully, the motorhome does not. So here I am, supposed to be on vacation and I sit doing dishes by hand - ugh! Fortunately the newer motorhomes are starting to "show" dishwashers, but unfortunately, we're not in the market for a new motorhome anytime soon. And finally, thankfully Terry doesn't mind paper plates and plastic silverware. ;) :p :D

I actually like vacuuming, but that could be because I don't have to do it because of the aforementioned house cleaner. She only comes once a month though, and I'm not that impressed with her vacumming skills, so I usually like to vacuum a few times in between her visits. In my opinion, the whole place looks clean if the carpet is freshly vacuumed. Of course that only lasts until T or P decide to walk across it and put their little kitty prints all over my freshly vacuumed floor - I hate that! And the bad news is Terry is just as bad as they are and doesn't understand what my problem is with walking on freshly vacummed carpeting - he laughs at me when I jump from throw rug to throw rug to avoid stepping on it. :rolleyes: ;) :D

popcornbird
04-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Ironing is my absolute WORST chore. I avoid it as much as I can. :p After ironing, I should say taking out the trash every week. Bleh. The bad part isn't exactly taking out the trash, but emptying every little dust bin in the house! I hate that!

Edwina's Secretary
04-15-2004, 02:33 PM
Folding laundry!

Felicia's Mom
04-15-2004, 02:47 PM
It is ironing for me too. So much that all my clothes are permanent press and I don't even have an iron.

Defrosting the refrigerator ranks high with too. Although it is nice to have it clean.

jenfer
04-15-2004, 02:51 PM
hmm... let see...
--scrubbing the bath tub
--taking the trash... I live in an apt, so all i do is to take it to the dumpster... but I have to do it EVERYDAY!:eek:

And it makes me even madder when it seems like I am the ONLY one who cares whether the place is clean or not. I am not going to start on that.:mad:

Barbara
04-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Ironing and windows. I have a cleaner who ddoes the windows and quite some of the dirty stuff. But I'd prefer toilets to ironing. :D (This is because ironing is one of the jobs that can't be done quick and dirty:D )

G.P.girl
04-15-2004, 04:11 PM
i hate everything!

Miss Meow
04-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Taking out rubbish and cleaning the shower stall, probably because it usually won't get done if I don't do it :)

CathyBogart
04-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Anything to do with the kitchen. I love cooking, but I hate doing dishes, or taking out the recycling, or mopping.

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-15-2004, 05:01 PM
I hate all housework - that's why I pay someone else to do it:o

Steffi N
04-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Ironing, but since the ironing board is one of Lovable's favorite cat beds, I usually have a good excuse not to do it. :D

Pam
04-15-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Steffi N
Ironing, but since the ironing board is one of Lovable's favorite cat beds, I usually have a good excuse not to do it. :D

Steffi, I just had to post this picture of my daughter's cats, Dandy and Guinness on the ironing board. It looks like she'd better iron dark clothes on one end of the board and the whites on the other so the cat hair won't be visible on the clothes! :D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid109/pedaa2abfeb465409786cbf5a5df5fa97/f930180b.jpg

catland
04-15-2004, 05:31 PM
Pam - that's a great pic - would you believe that today I'm wearing a black skirt with a white top?

I also vote for laundry because unless you live in a nudist colony, it is NEVER, NEVER DONE!!!!! (now, do you want to know how I really feel?)

Whenever I see some kind of new electronic gadget that is supposed to ease the daily burden that we call life, I inevitable ask -"yes, but will it fold and put away the laundry?"

carole
04-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Dusting and vacuuming and cleaning the stove, would be my least favourites for sure,I have heaps of laundry always, with four people, my son has cricket clothes, gym clothes, work clothes and good clothes, and then there is the rest of us, it never ends, but I don't really mind doing it that much.

Edwina's Secretary
04-15-2004, 07:02 PM
Could someone explain ironing to me...;) :rolleyes: I think I saw it in a movie once......

countrycowgirl
04-15-2004, 07:19 PM

I HATE VACUUMING

slick
04-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Gosh, I haven't ironed anything in at least a decade. All my clothes are wash and wear.

LOL, I used to know someone who was so picky.....

How picky was she?????

She was so picky that not only did she iron the bedsheets but also her husband's boxer shorts. :eek:

As for my own housework, I absolutely hate all aspects of it. There is nothing about it I enjoy except the clean smell of Pine Sol after it's all done. If I could afford it, I would get a housekeeper, but then again, I'd have no money for Pet Talk meetings.

bluekat
04-15-2004, 07:22 PM
LOL I don't really do any chores at home:p Lucky me;) Wel, I only have to do the dishes once a week, and maybe scrub the toilets every few weeks. But other than that i guess I have nothing:p
Oh ya, and take out the trash in my bathroom every wednesday. I hate doing that.

lisalee
04-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Doing the dishes!:mad: I usually try to give myself a break and take two days off a week without doing them and I feel so much better when I do that.:)

I also don't enjoy vacuuming too much.

Ironing I don't really do and toilets and taking trash out don't really bother me that much.

Lisa & Sash
http://pages.ivillage.com/lisalee992 (Sash's website)

Miss Meow
04-15-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Could someone explain ironing to me...;) :rolleyes: I think I saw it in a movie once......

Shane is a fantastic ironer from all his years in the Navy. In fact, he had to teach his new recruits how to iron in class this week! I offered to give them my shirts to practise on ;)

The downside is that if he's busy, I try to help out with the ironing. Apparently creases in pants are meant to be one long, straight line. Oops :o

BitsyNaceyDog
04-15-2004, 09:01 PM
I dislike washing the dishes the most. But that's probably because I was raised by my totally anal father. Because this is how I was raised and I can't break my self of it washing dishes are a long process and it takes forever. I totally rinse the dish first then wash it by hand then put it in the dishwasher. I don't even like for my dish water to get slightly dirty. Justin offers to help, but I wont let him because he will do it wrong. I get so annoyed by this stupid process, but can't break it. Oh well.

guster girl
04-15-2004, 09:39 PM
I don't like doing dishes or folding laundry. I don't mind dusting, but, it just never seems to last long. :(

Cookiebaker
04-15-2004, 10:13 PM
I really dislike Laundry!! ugh! One day the hampers are empty and (what seems to be) the next day, you would never guess it.

That said, I really am very strange in that I enjoy doing most aspects of housework. It is so rewarding when it is done. 'Course you would NEVER guess it by looking at my house right now, but by this time tomorrow night. I usually do my housework on Friday night, so by this time tomorrow it will be all better. :)

Tonya
04-15-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Christiansmommy
Laundry!!!! It NEVER ends!!!!! I hate folding it...very tedious!! Oh and ironing. I would take washing the toliet over these choirs anyday...although, only of it was my toilet :)

Robyn

DITTO! I always say, probably everyday as I'm folding laundry..."If I ever win the lottery, the first thing I am doing is hiring someone to do my laundry....I hate laundry!"

My housekeeper comes every other week, and I'm always trying to talk her into swapping chores with me. I would clean anything and everything in my house if she'd just do my laundry. lol.

slleipnir
04-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Hmm....all of them?

Tonya
04-15-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Felicia's Mom
It is ironing for me too. So much that all my clothes are permanent press and I don't even have an iron.

I do not own an iron either. It either gets drycleaned, or tossed in the dryer with a wet towel.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by KBlaix
I totally rinse the dish first then wash it by hand then put it in the dishwasher.

Let me get this right, you completely wash the dish by hand and then you put it in the dishwasher??!!?! :eek: :eek:

And Slick, I'm with you, I haven't ironed in years, I'm almost to Sara's status, but I guess not quite yet because there is a memory I have of the not too far past where I was ironing. Don't remember details but I can remember it so it can't be that long ago, can it? ;) :D

Nomilynn
04-15-2004, 10:23 PM
I hate hate hate HATE dishes! That is my least favourite thing to do. I actually don't mind anything else.. vacuuming, laundry, scrubbing the bathroom.. ALL more desireable than dishes!!! :D

Tonya
04-15-2004, 10:28 PM
I love doing dishes! That's about the only thing. It only takes a few minutes, and you can totally transform your kitchen!

tomkatzid
04-16-2004, 12:57 AM
all of them..........
but I don't mind mowing the lawn.
Katz

Barbara
04-16-2004, 02:38 AM
I hate ironing but I love crisp white shirts:( We have an agreement at home that everyone irons his or her own shirts. I hang them in the closet unironed and iron a single one when I want to wear it.:rolleyes:

Vio&Juni
04-16-2004, 03:40 AM
I have this inspiration from time to time to iron all my fresh clothes and hang them, but usually I do it like Barbara. I don't trust my maid to iron them. I hate ironing bed linen, and since I dry them out in the open air, they are not wrinkled. And I LOVE how they smell if they are not ironed.

I like doing dishes, but still, I hate to spend my time doing this. I had plans to buy a dishwasher since fall, but I only decided now (or had time now), so tomorrow I will finally get it (Easter discounts - Yahoo!).

I can say I like doing everything in the house, but I hire a person, beacuse I have no time for this. I still wish, the day had more than 24 hours :)

davidpizzica
04-16-2004, 03:54 AM
I live by myself so I have to do ALL OF THEM! Although I don`tmind vacuuming.

lynnestankard
04-16-2004, 04:06 AM
I HATE housework! I have a secret theory - 'Why bother............ I'll have to do it all again next week'!!:D :eek: :p

(Vaccuuming is my biggest hate though!!)

Lynne

davidpizzica
04-16-2004, 04:16 AM
Sounds like a great theory!

anna_66
04-16-2004, 07:20 AM
Well I have to say that doing laundry used to be one of my biggest hates, but since we recently got a new washer & dry I don't mind doing it at all, in fact now I like doing laundry. Before it would take all day, now it only takes a couple of hours!

But all my life my least favorite household duty has been dishes. I just hate doing them. It doesn't take long and it definately makes your kitchen look much cleaner, but I just can't stand doing them so they usually sit in the sink till I just can't stand to look at them any more:rolleyes:

I will have a disherwasher one of these days!

Tonya
04-16-2004, 07:26 AM
BTW, my mom in law has OCD, (or at least I think so) she vacumns at least 5 times a day because there can't be footprints in the carpet.

And I think my hubby got a tad of it from her...he can't relax if there are dishes in the sink. So...his dinner is always cold because he has to do the cooking dishes before he eats. I refuse to appease him, if he has a problem with it, he has to do them. lol. We never go to bed with dishes in the sink. Thank God I love doing dishes with his wierd peeve!

Cincy'sMom
04-16-2004, 08:29 AM
I have several friends who actually love to iron. I don't understand this, but i tell you, it is true!! I do promise, I am not one fo them, and I try to avoid ironing as much as possible.

When we go to Disney we like to go out to nice resteraunts and after being in a suitcase, sometimes you have to break down and iron your clothes. My first trip down, I was able to disgust a friend with my ironing skills to the point he did my ironing for the week. ( I offered him money to come live with us and be our house boy, but I couldn't match his income!) Unfortunatly, the friend is no longer dancing at the studio, and so I now have to iron my own clothes on vacation too :(

Rachel
04-16-2004, 08:37 AM
Oh, Pam, it is so difficult to pick just one. Actually I never have liked cleaning out the refrigerator, but now that I have a new one, it doesn't seem so bad. So I guess I have to say vacuuming. Mostly because I have to move the furniture and bend over to pick things up that are sitting on the floor (like a basket with magazines). Then I have to get down on the floor to vacuum under some furniture that is too big to move but sits off the floor, like the couch and the desk. My back really feels it after I vacuum.

Dusting isn't too far behind vacuuming because, well it stirs up the dust. I always feel so dirty after I clean that I try to schedule it right before when I take my bath in the morning.

My husband had selected doing the wash as one of his chores, but that is something I enjoy doing, so drat the luck. I usually end up folding the laundry anyway because I am compulsive about how it should be done. I have been known to refold things that he has already folded.

There is one task in my house that almost never gets done and that is washing off the exhaust fan over the stove. Ick, ick, ick...all that grease. I think I rather just replace it at this point.

BitsyNaceyDog
04-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Let me get this right, you completely wash the dish by hand and then you put it in the dishwasher??!!?!

I do. I get from my dad, he does it that way too. I'm not sure why but I can't put a dish away unless it's gone through that whole process.

Logan
04-16-2004, 12:34 PM
When I bought a new dishwasher for my previous home, the saleslady told me what a waste it would be for me to pre-wash my dishes. I guess the new models have their own, built in, disposal, according to her (Sears). I get the heaviest stuff off the dishes now, especially silverware, but I never pre-wash the plates and glasses. Hubby is still learning........at least he will get near the dishwasher!!! :p

Of all the household chores, vacuuming is my favorite one, and that's a good thing since I have to do it so often!!! :) I hate to dust, and I hate cleaning the bathrooms (the fumes kill me). :o

EssTer
04-16-2004, 12:50 PM
washing dishes...I hate that LOL

NoahsMommy
04-16-2004, 01:09 PM
ANYTHING having to do with the bathroom. Ick....

Since we have to do laundry in the laundry room at our complex, its a horrible chore. We hate it so much we go for at least three weeks before doing it...then, we have to spend all day doing it.

Logan
04-16-2004, 01:24 PM
I do not envy you, Kelly. I remember those laundromat days. I could fill 7-8 washing machines at a time!! :eek: I was so happy to get my washer and dryer in my first rental house, after my divorce.

ILoveReptiles
04-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Hmm - I enjoy vaccuming actually. That is, until my back gives out...

I do hate dusting... it's my least favorite thing in the world.

Cincy'sMom
04-16-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Logan

Of all the household chores, vacuuming is my favorite one, and that's a good thing since I have to do it so often!!! :) I hate to dust, and I hate cleaning the bathrooms (the fumes kill me). :o

How do you get away without vacuumin too ofoten? We are looking at getting new carpet/floor of sometype and what we have now shows Spot's hair soo much!!!

carole
04-16-2004, 03:22 PM
Gosh I am in SHOCK, I honestly thought all americans, owned a dishwasher.lol:D

Miss Meow, I know all about that ironing your partner does, I had to do it for m first husband who was in the Navy, he taught me well, but do I do that now, NO WAY!!!

David, you will have to get a live in Girlfriend, then you can SHARE the chores lol.:D

popcornbird
04-16-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by carole
Gosh I am in SHOCK, I honestly thought all americans, owned a dishwasher.lol:D

Oh Carol, a LOT of Americans don't have dishwashers. :p Most of the homes in my area have them, but I know there are many without dishwashers too. Personally, I have never lived in a home without a dishwasher in my life. Then again, I have only lived in 2 homes in my entire life. :p LOL!

RedHedd
04-16-2004, 04:06 PM
In order of hatefulness:

Dishes
Scrubbing the kitchen floors
Cleaning the Bathroom
Dusting

PayItForward
04-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Ironing

davidpizzica
04-16-2004, 05:16 PM
I'll talk it over with jennifer( she only has 11 kitties ) maybe we can work something out!! lol

KYS
04-16-2004, 05:33 PM
I hate cleaning the TOILETS, shower and tub. :rolleyes:

P.S. I do not have a dishwasher either.
(well! I'm the dishwasher). lol

carole
04-17-2004, 03:48 AM
I shall quickly tell you how I obtained my first dishwasher, when my daughter was born, hubby and son used to do the dishes, I made dinner of course, well when bubs came along, she was a very active young baby, and never slept much, hence daddy was very tired, and the dishes were getting left until next day, not a sight I enjoyed very much, and I Let him know, so guess what arrived not long afterwards , our first dishwasher, we have just replaced it with a new one, and believe me it was only a matter of days before it was ordered and back in the house, funny thing my daughter had never washed or dried a dish until that time, and she really did not know how.

We even had to re-model our kitchen and make it larger for the dishwasher, but its worth its weight in gold.

K9soul
04-17-2004, 10:05 AM
I've always hated vacuuming. I think it started when I was a latch-key kid with my Mom and every few days one of my chores was vacuuming before she got home from work. The vacuum we had was a cheapy, but most of all LOUD. I've always been senstive to loud noises, and this thing was just awful. Anyway, while I was running it and the motor was screaming so loud, I kept getting the feeling all the time that someone was coming up behind me. After awhile I kept imagining I suddenly would feel the vibration of a foot scuff on the floor behind me or something. The house would be so quiet and me there by myself, and when I turned that shrieking vacuum on I just about freaked out and I couldnt' get it out of my head that anyone could break in while I was running it and I'd never hear a thing until they were there. Once I got this in my head I was just always terrified to run that thing.

Oddly, I don't think I ever talked to my Mom about this. I think if she had known I felt that way and was having that much fear, she would have just let me wait to run it until she was home. But I was embarrassed of my fear and it is something that held onto me even into my late teens.

I don't have that fearful feeling anymore, but my hatred for the chore and the noise of it (even though it's less than it was with that old vacuum), stays with me even now. I feel my tension level just rise when that motor comes on and vacuuming begins, either by myself or by David. I guess once one has a frightening experience with something, it just always creates a bad feeling with whatever is associated with it.

I don't really like folding laundry either, it's time consuming and when you are done there is no real visible reward for the effort put into it. When I mop a floor or clean up the kitchen, there is the visual reward of it looking nice and clean afterwards. :p

ChrisH
04-17-2004, 10:23 AM
I don't really have a 'least' favourite houshold duty, I detest them all equally. They are never done, whichever one you choose, are they? Tommorrow, the next day, or real soon for sure, has to be done again!:)

cubby31682
04-19-2004, 08:05 AM
I don't mind dusting except I never do it. I never think about it. We got a new vacuume, which it is pretty quiet for a vacuume, I still will not use it very often. I don't mind doing dishs, or laundry. I don't iron, I don't know where hubby put the ironing board, and I refuse to take out trash. As a kid my brother always had to take out the trash. If the trash was overflowing, and I would take the trash bag out and replace it I got yelled at for it by my dad. His thing was I was a girl so I shouldn't have to do it. So to this day I will not take a bag of trash down to the dumpster. I will take the bag out of the trash can now, and I leave it by the door for hubby to take down.

I also have a dishwasher in my apartment, which it works but it leaks all over the floor. So we don't use it for anything except to store dirty dishes when company comes over. :rolleyes:

I don't always fold laundry, I have no problem running down to the first floor to throw it in and come back up stairs, then go back down. I just don't fold it right away sometimes not at all. My husbands work shirts as soon as I take them out of the laundry basket they get hung up on the coat rack.

Lillycat
05-05-2004, 07:33 PM
i like all aspects of housework.....i find it comforting in its constancy of needing to be done.....i like how it all looks when it is done. i only lack the time to do it all in. perhaps when i retire i can just do it and enjoy it. if i had to pick something i find the most difficult, i would say scouring the bathtub. oh, i also love to hang the clothes outdoors and have a lovely washline put up by one of my wonderful son-in-laws! i really enjoy the clothes line!!!

Cinder & Smoke
05-05-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by cubby31682
... a dishwasher...

So we don't use it for anything except to
store dirty dishes when company comes over. :rolleyes:

:D
An here we thunk DAD wuz da onlee wun who pulled dat stunt!

We looze more kitchin stuff dat way!
He's allua tyme *hollerin* bout "Who stole this-or-that?!"

Hey Dad ~
Try lookin inna Dish Warsher Box...
Ya put it in there a munth ago! :p