PDA

View Full Version : Wellness...

DogLover9501
04-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Okay, well I was planning to feed Jasper Wellness dog food, since before I even got him, but I couldnt find it anywhere so I didn't think we had it around here, but we do!

Im planning to feed him Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato, mostly because of his alergies to mostly meat.

Ingredients:
White Fish, Ground Barley, Rye Flour, Menhaden Fish Meal, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Canola Oil (preserved with Rosemary, Vitamin C & E), Flax Seed, Beta-Carotene, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of Zinc), Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of Copper), Copper Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate ( a chelated source of Manganese), Sodium Selenite, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid.

I just want to know what you all think of Wellness? Does anyone else feed Wellness?

Thanks!

robinh
04-15-2004, 12:17 PM
I have to give my dachshund, Max the Wellness brand because of his allergies to corn.

Rather than try to just try to give it to him which causes all kinds of jealousy problems - all five of mine have been switched over. They like the taste. It does give them slightly looser stools, but it's really helped with Max's allergies. I order from Drs. Foster & Smith. It's a little bit more expensive, but I've saved that much in vet bills from Max's visits.

I think ParNone and Micki76 both feed Wellness. They are the ones who told me about it.

I still haven't found the right kind of biscuit for them yet. The Drs. Foster & Smith liver lite and hypoallergenic really give all of them (especially Max) very loose stools.

I'm thinking of making my own so if you know of any recipies, let me know.

Cincy'sMom
04-15-2004, 12:27 PM
We tried Wellness Whitefish and Sweet potato briefly, and Cincy broke out in a rash. Don't relly knwoif it was becuase ofthat or not (her allergy tests showed no food allergies), but we decided to stick with the California Natural Lamb and Rice we had been feeding.

lovemyshiba
04-15-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by robinh

I still haven't found the right kind of biscuit for them yet. The Drs. Foster & Smith liver lite and hypoallergenic really give all of them (especially Max) very loose stools.

I'm thinking of making my own so if you know of any recipies, let me know.

Wellness does make biscuits too--I just had a box of the fish and sweet potato ones--the dogs loved them!!!!

DogLover9501
04-15-2004, 02:27 PM
Wow thats awesome, thanks everyone.

The awesome woman who works there said she does give out samples, like she will open a bag and give me a smaller plastic bag full to make sure he likes it and all of that.

CathyBogart
04-15-2004, 04:49 PM
I LOVE Wellness! The cat food has cranberry in it, which has been invaluable to my grandmother's calico who gets persistent UTI's. I'm also told that it's good for Bedlington Terriers (Which is the dog I plan to own in the future) because of their low tolerance to copper-rich food.

DogLover9501
04-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Thanks, I've heard so much great stuff about it, Im so glad I found it! Boxers dont tolerate alot of corn in their food, so I hope this stuff stops his scratching.

DogLover9501
04-16-2004, 02:41 PM
I went back to that pet store and the guy gave me 3 free little sample bags of Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato and also 3 of Fromms Fish and Potato, anyone heard of that?? It also has no corn.

Jasper really likes them both but he likes the Wellness better, and he'll have those gone by tomorrow lol so I guess I'll be going back out to get a big sack then.

Wish us luck that this stops his scratching!!

Logan
04-16-2004, 02:51 PM
The reviews on this particular form of Wellness that I have read (Fish and Sweet Potato) are not positive, mostly because the dogs in question did not like the taste or the smell. There is a great dry dog food comparison at www.greatgoldens.com .

DogLover9501
04-16-2004, 02:56 PM
Jasper doesn't seem to mind any of it lol He's eaten some, and for the first time since I had him he ate some as soon as I put his dish down, usually I fill his dish up and put it down and he just looks at it and doesnt touch it until later on.