PDA

View Full Version : Cat Survives 30-Day Trip in Shipping Box

Lilith Cherry
04-15-2004, 12:55 AM
This is fantastic - I do hope this remarkable kittie finds a kind and loving home in Florida after his long journey!

Cat Survives 30-Day Trip in Shipping Box

TAMPA, Fla. - A business owner opening a shipment of 400 bird cages sent from China got an additional order he didn't expect — a severely undernourished cat.

The female cat, named China by animal service staff members, tips the scale at just over 3 pounds after being trapped in the container for the nearly monthlong trip.

Norman Goldberg, owner of Quality Discount Cages, said he discovered the cat Friday when he received the shipment at his warehouse. Several cardboard boxes holding cages had been chewed up.

"I opened it up, and out jumped the cat," he said.

The traveling feline apparently began her journey at a factory in China where workers started loading the parrot cages into a 40-foot metal container the first week of March, Goldberg said. The container arrived by boat in Los Angeles on April 1 and then traveled by rail to Tampa.

On Wednesday, China was recovering at Hillsborough County Animal Services, where she was eating on her own and being given intravenous fluids.

Goldberg's brother-in-law e-mailed the factory in China where the cages originated to see whether they knew anything about a missing cat.

"You gave us a very big surprise today," wrote Ms. Ivy of Dayang Co. in China. "We are very happy to know our cat still alive. Would you please tell us more information about our cat? Is it a yellow or gray one? Because we have two cats, but they disappeared one month ago ... Please raise it, or you can give it to the animal asylum."

If the cat is healthy, it will be put up for adoption.

"I hope it gets adopted," Goldberg said. "It has used up most of its nine lives."

lat192004
04-15-2004, 01:13 AM
That is an amazing story, Thanks for posting:)

aly
04-15-2004, 02:44 AM
Oh my gosh, how scary for the poor kitty :( And there's another missing one!! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

That stupid woman doesn't sound like she even cares.

BLECH@!

I will be praying that this cat finds a LOVING home!

catmandu
04-15-2004, 09:09 AM
The Found Cats are hoping that all that Publicity , getsthat poor Starving Cat , a Good Furr Ever Home , anda Loving Guardian , andthat the Poor Cat , China recovers from her ordeal!Found Cats Salute China! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ramanth
04-15-2004, 09:12 AM
What an ordeal! I'm sure that kitty will find a new loving home. :)

nibblets
04-15-2004, 01:59 PM
Today was a cat news sort of day...I just read this:
BILLINGS, Mont. -- Billings firefighters usually don't do pet rescues, but Battalion Chief Tim Bergstrom said they agreed to respond to the pleas of a city resident whose cat had a litter of kittens in a tree.

The woman called a veterinarian for advice, and he confirmed her worst fears. She was told if the five tiny newborns were left to the elements, they might not survive nighttime cold. But if they did, the sightless babies would probably fall out of the tree once they became mobile.

Bergstrom said it was getting dark and the woman had tried everything else, so he agreed to the animal rescue.

The chief said an aerial ladder was maneuvered into the tree and firefighters with a bucket retrieved the five kittens, perched in the crook of the tree 40 feet off the ground.

Bergstrom said the mother cat wasn't too happy that anyone had touched the kittens, but was calmer when the kittens were safely on the ground.

And he said it was a happy ending for everyone.

trayi52
04-15-2004, 02:05 PM
What some stories! I just can't imagine a cat having kittens in a tree!

The other kitty living without water for that length of time.

I hope they all find good homes.