PDA

View Full Version : Old remedy for mange

QueenScoopalot
04-14-2004, 06:16 PM
This sounds disgusting, and messy, but apparently it's highly effective for clearing mange. http://www.detnews.com/2004/lifestyle/0404/10/e16-117259.htm

tatsxxx11
04-14-2004, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the link! Mange is a miserable condition:( One of my recently adopted guinea pigs had mites and the treatment was a very smelly sulfur bath, every 5 days for a month; but it worked!

mruffruff
04-16-2004, 09:33 AM
Please don't try this!

It might work eventually. Unfortunately, it doesn't always and it can actually harm the dog. Some dogs will lick it off until they create "hot spots".

A vet can get rid of mange faster and safer.

Short story: A stray dog with mange was at my back gate. Someone had tried to 'cure' him with old motor oil. He was in obvious pain. The vet recommended washing him thoroughly with Dawn dish detergent to get rid of the oil so we could treat him. He was in so much pain he wouldn't let us clean him up. The vet had to put him to sleep. I'm haunted by the unnecessary cruelty this dog endured because someone wouldn't visit a vet.

Mange can't be cured overnight. Would you really want a greasy dog running around for a couple of weeks? Yuk!

Mary

ScoobyDoo-Doo
04-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Unfortunately, dogs still get the mange. It may not happen to our pets too often since they are so well taken care of. However, if your neighbors don't take care their dog or a stray comes into the area then mange can be transferred. It can be transferred if you pet a dog with mange and then pet your dog afterward. Should always wash your hands after petting a strange animal.
Mange is curable and treatable. I just wouldn't treat it with something that could be eatable and make the dog sick.
I am a firm believer in Brewer's yeast for coat control. It is a great supplement and keeps coats soft, smooth, and less shedding. It helps with Flea control as well. Which may be another source of the mange.