PDA

View Full Version : I feel so horrible...

Tonya
04-13-2004, 11:04 PM
I wasn't going to tell you all because it is depressing news, but I can't get it out of my mind. Today, I was driving to work down a busy road. It has four lanes plus the turning lane. This grey and white fluffy kitty darted across the traffic. She was almost to the curb, when she realized she was in danger and darted back across. Then she stopped in the turning lane. To me, it felt like an eternity that she was darting back and forth, totally spooked and couldn't decide which way to go. She finally stopped and crouched in the turning lane.

I didn't care. I put my truck in park right in the lane and got out to get her. She got spooked by me and ran right in front of another car that barely missed her. I realized that she was even more likely to get hit with my chasing her, so I let her be.

I called Animal Control, who of course couldn't help. I hoped for the best, but I had that feeling. I'd hoped to God that she'd made it safely across. Well, a few hours later, I drove back down the road to see, and she was dead in the road. I am so upset about it. I've been crying most of the day. I'm sorry to be so depressing. But I saw the fear in her eyes, she didn't know what to do. She was so close, but so far from me. She had a collar on, how could anyone let their cat roam free on such a busy street?! I feel really sad about it.

BTW, I am sure that you don't want a mental picture, but she looked like Edwina's cat's kitty, Eddie but with a little longer fur. I don't really know if it was a boy or girl kitty, I'm just calling it a her. :(

jazzcat
04-13-2004, 11:31 PM
Oh Tonya, I'm so sorry! You tried and you are right, she would have probably gotten hit while you were trying to catch her and then you would have had that playing over in your head. Please don't blame yourself. Why would animal control not help? That would infuriate me and prompt me to at least write a letter to the editor of my local paper.

I'm with you, why would her owners allow her to roam near a busy road? I know she could have slipped out but I bet that wasn't the story. Just another example of why cats should be indoor only.

I hope you can find some peace with this.

Rest in Peace sweet lost kitty.

krazyaboutkatz
04-14-2004, 12:05 AM
This is so sad.:( Tonya, I'm so sorry that you had to see this. RIP sweet kitty.

Kirsten
04-14-2004, 04:18 AM
OH (((Tonya)))), I'm so sorry!! :(

You did the best you could for this little kitty, and you did the right thing, you wanted to help...

I know these pictures can haunt you for a long time. Some years ago, I saw that the car driving in front of me hit a cat, and the driver left it terribly injured on the road. I stopped to see if there was anything I could do for that kitty, but she was dying already and didn't want to be touched. You could see she was fading, so I stayed with her until she passed over. I cried for days and couldn't get these pictures out of my head for a long time. I eventually dedicated her a memorial page in the virtual pet cemetery, and some internet friends also contributed some comments, as we have dicussed the incident before. Helped me a lot to share my thoughts with others. The memorial page is here (http://www.tillyschanze.de/vpc/angel.html) just in case anyone want to see it.

And I agree, no cat owner should let a cat go outside when there's such a busy road! But some people will never learn! :(

R.I.P. little kitty, please know there was someone who wanted to save you when you were in danger!

Kirsten

catcrazylady
04-14-2004, 05:52 AM
How horrible for you! I think you are to be commended for getting out of your vehicle on a busy road to try and save this poor kitten! It's obvious that no one else thought or cared enough to even try. You would have felt horrible if she had been hit running from you and I would have done what you did. You did a wonderful thing and the blame is on the caregivers of this kitten that should have never been outside near a busy street!
Thank you for caring enough to stop and try to help her.

Felicia's Mom
04-14-2004, 08:02 AM
You did all you could. The owner shouldn't have let the kitten outside. Some drivers will try to hit them.:(

catmandu
04-14-2004, 08:50 AM
RIP Sweet Kitty , and may the Cat Angels , make you feel at home. And you couldnt have done any more , when a Kittens is scared , it cannot be caught , at all.

kimlovescats
04-14-2004, 12:39 PM
Oh Tonya ... what a horrible experience for you ... but you did your best. :( Your are right .... if you had kept calling her, she might have gotten hit right in front of you, and that would have been just devastating. Try to realize that you did all you could!

(((HUGS)))

catnapper
04-14-2004, 01:26 PM
Thats so sad.:( I'd be crying too.

RIP sweet little kitty.

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-14-2004, 04:00 PM
Tonya, I am so sorry you had to see that. Just take comfort in the knowledge that the kitten is in a better place now.

(((HUGS))) to you.

My worst fear when I stop to move dead cats to the side of the road is that one will still be alive, and I won't be able to do anything to ease it's suffering.

moosmom
04-14-2004, 07:38 PM
Tonya,

Like everyone here has said, you did the best you could. It's a tragedy that this poor kitty was killed. And it's owners should rot in hell for letting it out. You have every right to be upset. I would be too. I'm sorry you had to go through it.

RIP precious little one.