PDA

View Full Version : What a BIG kitty!

Cataholic
04-13-2004, 03:02 PM
International Edition |

MEMBER SERVICES

Fed-up fat cat goes on hunger strike
Monday, April 12, 2004 Posted: 12:03 PM EDT (1603 GMT)

Officials said Mikesch is so fat he suffers from heart trouble.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BERLIN, Germany (Reuters) -- An obese German cat six times the normal weight has gone on a hunger strike at a Berlin animal shelter after being taken from his owner who had fed him two kg (4.4 lbs) of mince daily, Bild newspaper reported.

Mikesch, weighing 18.5 kg (nearly 41 lbs), was brought to the animal shelter on April 1 and was so overweight he could not take more than four steps without becoming exhausted. His elderly owner was at the same time taken to a nursing home.

Shelter officials said six-year-old Mikesch is so fat he cannot clean himself and suffers from heart trouble. They said he felt lost without his meat-feeding owner and stopped eating altogether when he was put on a diet to gradually lose weight.

A shelter worker will take Mikesch home with her for 10 days to help get his appetite back, shelter head Carola Ruff said.

"The cat had a good night in her flat on the first night and that's giving us hope his condition will improve," Ruff said.

Cats usually weigh between three and six kg and eat no more than about 300 grams (10 ounces) of food each day, vets say.

Copyright 2004 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

© 2004 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us. All external sites will open in a new browser.
CNN.com does not endorse external sites.
Denotes premium content.

trayi52
04-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Oh my God! What a big giant of a cat! That cat would be hard to carry around!

Oh my aching back!!

Poor fellow, I hope he gets a good home, and become a healthy kitty again. Hope his condition improves.

Thanks for posting the ariticle Johanna!

Willie

catnapper
04-13-2004, 09:33 PM
I thought Allen was a big boy at 20 pounds! Poor kitty. And he's only 6, which is very young to be that overweight. I hope he manages to lose the weight and live a healthy and lively life.

lat192004
04-13-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Oh my God! What a big giant of a cat! That cat would be hard to carry around!

Oh my aching back!!

Poor fellow, I hope he gets a good home, and become a healthy kitty again. Hope his condition improves.

Thanks for posting the ariticle Johanna!

Willie

I have 2 large cats, but not like this. Thanks for the article.

catmandu
04-14-2004, 09:05 AM
That is horrible , overfeeding that Poor Cat! And he Found Cats are praying atht he can get down to his right weight , andthat he wont have any serious after effects, of being that obese!!!!

Vio&Juni
04-15-2004, 05:23 AM
Poor cat! I hope he loses some weight and starts a little more normal life.