PDA

View Full Version : Ok, give me all the dog park etiquette info!

My Peanuts
04-13-2004, 02:20 PM
I was reading some posts in the past about people saying... I can't believe this person was doing this at the dog park. OR Those kids shouldn't be playing with the dogs at the dog park. I am dying to take Syl and Harley to a dog park and it is getting warmer. I also located a good one, so I'm just about ready. Those of you that are veterans in the dog parks across the world lend me your knowledge. I want to know all the etiquette and rules. Also, what is acceptable behavior for my pups? Sylvia and Harley play a little rough, is that ok? Thanks for any help. :)

guster girl
04-13-2004, 04:23 PM
I wanted to bump this back up, because I'm really interested in dog park etiquette myself! Finn has all of his shots now, so, I'm wanting to get him out there! :) so....***bump***

G.P.girl
04-13-2004, 04:35 PM
are you allowed to go to a dog park if you don't have a dog?

guster girl
04-13-2004, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't see why not! I've heard of people taking their cats to dog parks! So, I wouldn't see a problem with someone without pets going....but, hopefully, others will see this and answer, too! **BUMP**

BCBlondie
04-13-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by G.P.girl

Of course you are! :D There's this kid that goes to our dog park who is sooo smart! He doesn't have any dogs of his own, but he is excellent in knowing dog breeds and he knows all the dogs that go to our dog park and their names. :eek: ;)

Dog parks are a great place to socialize. If Finn has all his shots done, don't be afraid to try taking him to one. Maybe keep him on the leash when you walk in and let him sniff the other dogs. When he gets more comfortable with his new surroundings you can take the leash off and let him run around. It's a great way for dogs to socialize not only with other dogs, but also with people. Seshy used to be soo scared of both dogs and people, but he knows the dog park is a great place and isn't afraid anymore to go up to someone to get a pet or treats. :D

As for behavior... as long as your dogs aren't aggressive with other dogs it should be fine. Most people don't like aggressive dogs going to the dog park cuz they don't want fights started. ;) If you know how to control your dog's rough playing behavior (like if he/she starts getting rough and you tell them to stop, then they stop) then it should be fine. Seshy gets a lil nuts over dogs that play fetch and he loves to herd them. I don't mind him herding them but sometimes he starts to nip, so I always have to go make him calm down lol.

Hopefully that was of some help. :)

Shelteez2
04-13-2004, 07:04 PM
I think the number one thing needed for a dog park is a good off leash recall. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone calling and calling and calling their dog over and over with the dog paying absolutely no attention whatsoever.
And this brings up a training issue. If you go to the park and think your dog has a good recall and it gets there and you call it and it doesn't come right away, please do not call it again and again. Do something (run away, jump around like a fool, pretend you're eating something, clap your hands....etc) to make it want to come to you. You are going to have to be way more interesting than all the funn buddies it has just met. Every time you call the dog and it does not come reinforces the fact that it does not have to right away. Also do not call it away from playing to snap the leash on and leave the park. Call it and release it to go back to play it's a great reward. Dog parks are great for training under distractions. I personally wouldn't take a puppy to one and let it off leash for the reason listed above (it's not fair to expect a young pup to have a perfect recall), but I would let the pup drag a long leash so that I still had control while the pup played.

4 Dog Mother
04-14-2004, 08:29 AM
One thing that no one mentioned so far is that all the dog parks I have been to expect you to clean up after your dog. The places I go have their own bags and a recetptacle to put them in.

All the dogs run to meet the new guy so it is easier if you hold your dog back either physically or verbally so that the new guy isn't overwhelmed by all the others sniffing etc.

It's your responsibility to make sure your dog doesn't get too rough with another dog. That doesn't always being mean. I have seen several dogs hide behind their owners because another dog just is too rough for the other dog. Snoopy isn't exactly a shy dog around other dogs but there is at least one other dog I can think of that he hides from because he plays too rough. If you see other dogs hiding or running to their owners to get away from yours, you may want to work with your dog.

Don't let your dog jump on other people. (that's a tough one because if someone has treats mine still do at times). Watch giving out treats. If the dogs seem to be getting too competitive about getting the treats, put them away for awhile.

For some reason, a lot of the dog "fights" have started underneath or around the picnic table. Some dogs think that when they have claimed a place to lay or hide, it is theirs and they don't want intruders. When too many dogs start congregating in one area it is time to "walk" some of teh dogs into another area.

I am sure there are other things I am forgetting but those are the ones I can think of now.

4 Dog Mother
04-14-2004, 08:47 AM
I wouldn't see why not! I've heard of people taking their cats to dog parks!

I highly recommend not taking a cat inside a dog park. Some dogs have never been around cats and to them it is another thing to chase. Some dogs just plain hate cats and will kill them if they get a chance. Moosmom has taken Moosha (I know I am butcherng names, sorry) to the Findlay Dog Park GATHERING but she did not take her into the park itself. I am thinking someone else brought their cats but again the cats did not go into the dog park itself but was over in the picnic area away from the dogs.

Our dog park says you have to be over a certain age (I'm thinking 12) unless you are with an adult. People do come in without dogs and some even bring their kids.

Kids should be taught to never pet a dog unless they have asked the owner and never grab at a dog or do anything that might make a dog think he/she is going to strike it. (when we first got Snoopy a man raised his arm to throw a ball and Snoopy went nuts and barked and barked at the man. Since we had never encountered that situation before it quite surprised us. Snoopy ran from the man, and barked but that could really scare a child. Snoopy is afraid of men until he gets to know them so we think he must have been abused by one at some point before we got him at 6 months of age) It probably isn't wise to let children give dogs treats either unless the owner is nearby and says okay. Some dogs can get quite nippy when taking treats.

MariaM
04-14-2004, 10:02 AM
I have no idea, lol, sorry I'm not much help. There aren't any dog parks around here, anywhere :p

guster girl
04-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by 4 Dog Mother
I wouldn't see why not! I've heard of people taking their cats to dog parks!

I highly recommend not taking a cat inside a dog park.

I didn't say I recommended taking a cat into a dog park. I was just making a point that you don't have to be a dog owner.

anna_66
04-14-2004, 03:50 PM
Everyone has given you very good advice. Just thought I'd chime in with the "RULES" from our local dog park.

All dogs must display a valid license.
Dogs must be current on their vaccinations
Leash all dogs while entering and exiting.
Owners must be within eyesight and voice control over their pets at all times.
Puppies under 4 months are prohibited to protect their own health. .Maximum of 3 dogs per adult.
All children must be monitored and accompanied by a guardian at all times.
Be prepared to leash your dog immediately if your pet becomes unruly, worrisome to others, aggressive to animals or humans, or displays mounting behavior .
Honor the request of others to leash your pet if asked.
Dogs in heat are not permitted
Aggressive and/or vicious dogs are not permitted.
CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR PET! WASTE MUST BE DISPOSED OF COMPLETELY AND IMMEDIATELY

Hope you all get to enjoy your park soon!

P.S. Don't forget to bring the camera;)

My Peanuts
04-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by anna_66
Everyone has given you very good advice. Just thought I'd chime in with the "RULES" from our local dog park.

[B]All dogs must display a valid license.

Hmm, we don't have dog licenses where I live. I live in an unincorporated area. Licenses aren't even available, but I wish they were. I hope that won't cause a problem at the park. :rolleyes:

I wonder if there was a way I could lobby to have dog licenses in my area. My dad said when he was young and lived in Chicago that people that worked for the city would randomly knock on the door and if they heard a dog bark they wanted to see the licenses. Now that’s tax dollars at work! That would be wonderful and stop a lot animal cruelty. Hmm, now my brain is going a mile a minute. You indirectly gave me a good idea Anna, thanks!

lizbud
04-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Anna,

One thing that's kind of bothering me about Findley's Dog Park
getogether is the subject of dog licenses. They are not required
in my county in Indianapolis.All that local authorities require is a
dog has to wear a current rabies tag & a I.D. Tag with owners
name & address on it. I explained this to Phred & I sure hope
there is no problem for me or Smokey when we come in May.

Cinder & Smoke
04-15-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
... bothering me about Findley's Dog Park getogether
is the subject of dog licenses.

They are not required in my county in Indianapolis.

All that local authorities require is a dog has to
wear a current
rabies tag & an I.D. Tag with owners name & address on it.

I explained this to Phred & I sure hope there is no problem for
me or Smokey when we come in May.

Liz ~

Shouldn't be a "problem" - because the Findlay Rangers can easily
*confirm* that Indy Dogs don't need a "license" with a phone call.

What you might want to do is "print out" one of the articles
on the Indy City/County web site that says that -
and just carry the article with you.

If we even *see* a Ranger - his greatest concern will be that
each Dog has a "Human/Owner" with a Park Permit!

I kinda doubt the Ranger will be down on hands & knees - "reading tags"! :p

anna_66
04-15-2004, 06:24 PM
I was going to say the same thing Phred. I don't think it will be a problem...so you better come:D:D

Amber
04-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Ohio People~

Were do you get your dog lisenced at? We need to get Elvis done, so when he hits 4 months he can come.

AngelZoo
04-15-2004, 08:19 PM
I've been to a lot of dog parks and read their rules. Over all, I think pretty much anything is ok, as long as you are not creating a problem for yourself, an animal, or another person.

The best rules I have come across which seem to be universal around here and just plan common sense.

1.) Must be vaccinated, and of course, up to date.
2.) Really should be spayed/neutered. Unneutered males can sometimes cause real problems, specially unaltered females around various males whom you don't know may or may not be neutered regaurdless if she is in heat or not. However, it's ok to bring them if you know you can control your dog, has proven that he/she will not have over whemling territorial/dominance issues, and there are always lots of times you can go to the park and you are the only one there.
3.) Must have collar/harness on at all times, and you have the lead on you at all times.
4.) Your dog really should be at least decently reliably trained lol.
5.) SCOOP YOUR POOP
6.) If your dog shows aggression remove immediatly.
7.) If your dog is overly fearfull while at the park, remove your dog and try a different approach to dog park introductions, an overly submissive/frightened dog can cause as many problems as an aggressive one.
8.) You really don't need to be there if you don't have a dog.
9.) Pay attention to your dog, and dogs around your dog.
10.) No addmission under 16, and then some of your 50 and irresponcible. ;)
11.) Watch out for everyone else and their animals, it's your best defense for your own safety. Most people do not know the dog park rules.

4 Dog Mother
04-15-2004, 09:09 PM
I kinda doubt the Ranger will be down on hands & knees - "reading tags"!

I don't think any of the rangers have even looked to see which dogs were mine or came even close to the dogs themselves. (Are they afraid of dogs?????) When they do come around they ask the adults if your dogs are registered and if you have your permit. In the past we have told them they were in the car (because it is true - they aren't that sturdy for us frequent users to keep on us) and they would just ask a question that you should only know the answer to if you had registered. Recently I was back at the car when the ranger came around and so I did have to get it out to show him. But again they seem to be more worried about their shot records than they are about licensing. Even to register you don't have to prove they have their license.

Amber, you get licenses from the county auditor's office which is usually in the court house. In Findlay you can also buy them at the Humane Society and at Pet Supplies Plus.

AngelZoo, I disagree with your number 8
8.) You really don't need to be there if you don't have a dog.

My dogs love attention from people and since I have five it helps me if others give them attention at the park. It has also helped with Snoopy who is afraid of people to have people just want to pet him. I think it has helped them all to relate and respond more appropriately to people (not bark, jump up, etc.)

I do think you have two that are extremely important
9.) Pay attention to your dog, and dogs around your dog. and

11.) Watch out for everyone else and their animals, it's your best defense for your own safety.

Some people come to the dog park to let the dogs run while they
talk to other dog owners - or to get their walking exercise in - or to just sit and relax while their dogs do whatever they want.

AngelZoo
04-15-2004, 10:16 PM
-AngelZoo, I disagree with your number 8-

"Over all, I think pretty much anything is ok, as long as you are not creating a problem for yourself, an animal, or another person."

Thank you, come again! :D