PDA

View Full Version : Comparing dogs to drugs and alcohol?!

CathyBogart
04-13-2004, 10:45 AM
http://www.american-partisan.com/cols/2003/wade/qtr4/1204.htm

After observing thousands of teenagers lighting-up or chewing tobacco to inevitably face death by cancer, seeing hundreds of people injured or killed in auto accidents which are alcohol-related, reading about Hollywood's sick actors who depend on drugs, and watching millions and millions of lonely dog owners spend their "last dime" on their pets, I have become a more pro-active "human and children's activist." I am not taken in by smoking, drinking, glorifying drugs, or humanizing dogs.

Go into the kitchen, turn on the lights, and look at all the roaches: the tobacco companies using "do-gooder" marketing to push cigarettes upon teenagers; the liquor manufacturers now boldly advertising their wares on television; the drug dealers and their own creation, the dope fiends; and the pet industry in its unholy alliance with child-scorning misfit "pet parenting" dog owners.

Tobacco companies know that cigarette smoking and tobacco chewing cause bring on suffering and death. American teenagers spend millions of dollars on cigarettes and smokeless tobacco every year. Tobacco companies also know that kids like animals even though animals, vicious dogs in particular, are their worst enemy. Children loved looking at the Old Joe Camel logo. Tobacco companies choose camels and other child-oriented pictures to entice teenagers to “buy-in” to their way of thinking about the "cuddly-ness" of smoking. Smoking is not "cool."

The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism recently reported that close to 1,000 people literally drank themselves to death during the past year. This number does not include alcohol-related auto accidents, or people who suffer from illnesses such as liver disease as a result of years of drinking.

How alcohol kills: the kid passed out and everybody laughed at him, unaware that he's on the way to dying. Why? He has consumed too much alcohol. Every day young adults die because alcohol gets into their blood and travels throughout their system ending up in the brain where it has the ability to slow down a person's breathing. Death by alcohol is actually death by suffocation. While all of the boys and girls are busy laughing at their friend who has “passed-out” from too much alcohol, it is the first sign of a serious danger to the young person. Drinking alcohol is not "cool."

Cocaine kills. When you hear about a young adult dying suddenly and the autopsy reports that he had a heart attack with multiple dead areas within the heart and dilated cardiomyopathy, think about cocaine. Cocaine is Hollywood's number one luxury drug.

Young women and men take cocaine because they believe that it improves their social life. Furthermore, cocaine is a potent stimulant that makes a person feel more alert. Unfortunately, unconsciousness can suddenly come on afterwards. And cocaine addiction creates a craving for the drug so powerful that feeling the need for cocaine takes over the need for nourishment. Drugs are not "cool."

Drug dealers are vicious criminals. It is no coincidence that they guard their stashes of cocaine with vicious dogs. Pit bulls, Rottweilers, and Dobermans are the "goons of choice" to guard illegal drug storehouses.

The Fifty-Billion-Dollars-a-Year Pet Industry distorts facts to support its self-serving money-making notion that "dogs are beneficial to one's health." Not true! Regrettably, many dog worshipers are extremely hostile to the truth about their animals. But the airing of an honest opinion is fundamental to America's good health. The Mega-Pet Industry has bamboozled dog owners with its fraudulent statement, “Pets provide companionship.” This statement is an outright lie.

Treating dogs as full-fledged family members backfires onto their human owners. Lonely women and lonely men are turning to their dogs as confidants. This is a corrupt message -- for they are actually saying, “I have made a pro-dog/anti-child decision.” Animal attachment has many warnings. The first one: treating your dog as a child who barks.

Dog owners have crossed “health boundaries" through their obsession with their dogs. Dogs are responsible for thousands of dog bites and dog maulings a year. Dog bites are the leading cause of visits to emergency rooms. Dogs carry and spread disease. In fact, so-called “therapy dogs” are today's number one carrier of diseases inside health facilities. These dogs carry roundworms, mites, and cryptosporidium protozoa in their fecal matter.

Look at the new phenomenon of "dog owner rage": lonely misfit dog owners becoming enraged in public parks and violently attacking police officers whenever they are instructed to leash their dogs. Dogs will never replace the timeless friendships between people. Americans are overweight and obese because of dogs. Humans need to exercise with other humans, not with dogs, and exchange ideas in discussions with their fellow man. Dogs actually destroy the lifestyles of their once active owners.

Dogs create health risks for children, especially for children with weak immune systems. Children and adults, too, with a tendency to develop allergic diseases like asthma, rhinitis, and eczema are always at risk from allergens carried by dogs. Dog-borne allergens (in dog dander) provoke and worsen asthma. Furthermore, dogs ruin once-quiet neighborhoods with their excessive 24/7 barking. And dogs pollute city streets with large urine spills and smelly-foul huge bowel movements which attract vermin. Owning a dog is not "cool."

Two reasons to restrict Tobacco, Alcohol, Drugs, and Dogs: (# 1) They are dangerous to our health and our children's health, and (# 2) They seriously harm our lifestyle as rational human beings. ***

Oh HOW could I not have seen it?! My beautiful darlings who provide me with so much love and companionship are leading me down a corrupt path!

Oh and you know, it's because I'm soooo looonely because I'm not following the same path most people do. :rolleyes:

This is, officially, the WORST article I have ever seen anywhere!

cloverfdx
04-13-2004, 11:01 AM
:eek:

This is, officially, the WORST article I have ever seen anywhere!

Ditto!!!

If it was not for my dogs i would not do hardly enough exercise, we go on bike rides go jogging and walk kilometers a day.

catnapper
04-13-2004, 12:27 PM
"Dogs are responsible for thousands of dog bites and dog maulings a year."

Do ya think a HUMAN will give a dog bite? no duh.. dog bites come from dogs! woohoo what a scientific breakthrough! I never knew a dog would cause a dog bite. It was on my list of life's mysteries!

This person is an absolute idiot. Where they got their facts is beyond me. Because its a known fact that having a pet as a child helps the child grow the antibodies to fight allergies when they're older. :rolleyes: Or is that another one of the myths vets are passing around so that we get pets? Geesh. Get a life...

RICHARD
04-13-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
"Dogs are responsible for thousands of dog bites and dog maulings a year."

I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven't got the guts to bite people themselves.

-August Strindberg

;)

G.P.girl
04-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven't got the guts to bite people themselves.

-August Strindberg

;)

LMAO!:D :rolleyes:

Kfamr
04-13-2004, 06:43 PM
"dogs are beneficial to one's health." Not true!

Prove it!

“Pets provide companionship.” This statement is an outright lie.

Obviously coming from someone who's never loved a dog.

they are actually saying, “I have made a pro-dog/anti-child decision.”

I have two dogs, plan to own more in the future, as well as have children.

Dogs are responsible for thousands of dog bites and dog maulings a year. Dog bites are the leading cause of visits to emergency rooms.

Last time I checked I do not believe hearing of a responsible dog owner's dog attacking or mauling a human being.

Dogs carry and spread disease.

So do Humans.

lonely misfit dog owners becoming enraged in public parks and violently attacking police officers whenever they are instructed to leash their dogs.

HUMMM... Misfit = keyword

Dogs will never replace the timeless friendships between people.

Again, who is she to say? Who says they're "replacing" any 'timeless friendships'.

Americans are overweight and obese because of dogs.

OH.. and all of this time I was blaming it on Mcdonalds! :rolleyes:

Humans need to exercise with other humans, not with dogs, and exchange ideas in discussions with their fellow man. Dogs actually destroy the lifestyles of their once active owners.

Funny, since I'd never go anywhere if I didn't have my dogs.

Dogs create health risks for children, especially for children with weak immune systems. Children and adults, too, with a tendency to develop allergic diseases like asthma, rhinitis, and eczema are always at risk from allergens carried by dogs.

If this is true, then keep those children away from dogs!

Furthermore, dogs ruin once-quiet neighborhoods with their excessive 24/7 barking.

Has she never heard of responsible owners?
My dogs are inside at night, and are quieted once 1 bark comes from them.

And dogs pollute city streets with large urine spills and smelly-foul huge bowel movements which attract vermin.

Uhh.. and since when do humans NOT urinate, crap, and pollute - attracting vermin.

Owning a dog is not "cool."

Nor is comparing substances(drugs, alcohol, tobacco) with living beings (dogs.)

robinh
04-13-2004, 07:46 PM
Kay Ann, for a young person - you have an excellent sense of what's happening. I am definitely not being sarcastic when I say you give me hope for the future. I hope your parents realize just how well they've done to raise level headed responsible young woman!

The article was written by a total idiot. I'm reassured that there are people out there like those on PetTalk who definitely do not believe that kind of rubbish.

lat192004
04-14-2004, 03:35 PM
Hello, my two cents worth: This article belongs in the OUTHOUSE, not the dog house. Next thing this women will say is that all people who own cats as pets will be considered as witches, and should be rounded up and burned at the stake.Comparing dogs to drugs and alchohol? What, is she nuts?!? .......I do have one appeal to all dog owners. Please keep your dogs under control. Don't let them run, correct your dog when it does something bad. I have had dogs, and I always kept them under control. It takes some effort and responsibilty, but would be worth it just for the positive public relations. I love all animals, but I can't even walk down my road, as Pit Bulls, Dobermans,and the like roam free. The people that own them could care less, and one neighbor actually uses the dogs to harrass their neighbors. These idiots make a bad image for the good dog owners, Maybe that's what got this lady so mad....Thanks for letting me get my two cents worth. Dogs running free, uncontrolled, and worse, is a serious issue, but comparing dogs to drugs and booze is pretty wierd.

Twisterdog
04-14-2004, 10:55 PM
I don't think this "article" is worth anyone getting riled over. It's very poorly written, filled with giant leaps of logic and faulty arguments. No one with an IQ larger than their shoe size is going to have their opinions swayed by garbage like this.

lat192004
04-15-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
I don't think this "article" is worth anyone getting riled over. It's very poorly written, filled with giant leaps of logic and faulty arguments. No one with an IQ larger than their shoe size is going to have their opinions swayed by garbage like this.

It believe that the article is in the right section, the article is very controversial. The author has several issues going on at the same time. The second time I read it I came to the conclusion the women was smoking something besides tobacco when she wrote it.

dukedogsmom
04-15-2004, 08:09 AM
Emails anyone? I know I'm going to send one. I agree that she must be on some type of drug to have written this. I would like to know just where she got her information. I think she made it up. What an idiot! :mad: [email protected]
Here's my reply:
I am writing in reference to your article in which you compare dogs to drugs. Just what kind of drug influence were you under when you wrote your article? And where did you get your "facts" ? It's long been proven that having a pet(i e dog, cat, whatever) lowers blood pressure and helps people release their stress. I grew up with dogs and cats. I've never been without an animal in my lifetime. I am a much better person for it, too. I truly feel sorry for you because you are missing out on something very special. I know several teenagers who have dogs and they are great people! Greater than, I suspect you will ever hope to be. If you would open up that cold heart of yours and give animals a try, I expect you would have a very different opinion. I feel very sorry for you. That you've never had an animal give you that joy that only can come from them. It's a love that's returned so much. And no, I don't have that in place of human love. I have it as a great addition to it.

lat192004
04-16-2004, 03:07 PM
I would use caution about e-mailing this women anything:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

leslie flenner
04-16-2004, 08:28 PM
Since when are "vermin" attracted to pee and feces? They, (rats) are not attracted to those things... they want to eat fried food just like we do! It's ridiculous to say that pee and feces attract "vermin" among everything else she wrote-- but it made me feel for the "vermin" who are misunderstood! As I recently heard an interview on NPR's Fresh Air with author of "Rats".
See new book "Rats: Quintessential New Yorkers" by Richard I forget his last name. It's a new release and doing well.

K9soul
04-17-2004, 10:33 AM
In fact, so-called “therapy dogs” are today's number one carrier of diseases inside health facilities.

I'd like to know where she got this "fact." I'm guessing she just pulled it out of her... well I'll leave that be.

There are cold hard scientific facts to totally repute most of what she said about dogs. It's obviously someone who is personally bitter towards dogs for whatever reason. I almost thought the article was a hoax while reading it because it was just so utterly ridiculous and so very easy to disprove.

I would e-mail her if I thought it would do anything at all, but obviously I will be just another social misfit who worships my dogs above people and is a duped addict. :rolleyes: