PDA

View Full Version : How come cats are afraid of water?

ILOVECINDER
12-02-2001, 09:35 PM
I don't know why cats are afraid of water. They probably think that they might drown or something. Every time someone washes the dishes or washes their hands my cat starts to shake!!! :eek:

Former User
12-03-2001, 01:42 AM
Well our cats AREN'T afraid of water, quite the opposite, especially Casper loves water!! He could play with it for hours (but we can't affors the waterbill ;) ).

Here's Casper waiting for the water:
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/012/MC/T4/01/Wm43564.jpg

With this pic we send greetins to Noah ;)

sasvermont
12-03-2001, 05:51 AM
Miley, my female Aby loves the water and gets in the tub with the bather from time to time. She loves to walk around in a few inches of water. The male cat, Graemer, visits the water once in a while but not as often as Miley. Most of my cats have been facinated with water, but never ventured in knee deep like Miley does! :eek:

tuxluvr
12-03-2001, 06:59 AM
My philosophy is that cats like water, or anything else, IF it is on their terms and timing :) ;) :D

purrley
12-03-2001, 07:51 AM
Naugh - cats aren't "afraid"
of water - I agree with Tuxluver - if it suits them at the time they'll put up with it. Cats just don't like water as a rule, they're not afraid of it. But there's exceptions to every rule :D :D

cr7clark
12-03-2001, 11:33 AM
I agree with Tuxluvr. Bo is unfazed by water, probably because she was trained from kittenhood to take regular baths. I think the "cats afraid of water" business is due to their general unfamiliarity with it. People just don't realize that a cat can be trained to do most anything if the training starts in early kittenhood and it is consistent.

yorkster
12-03-2001, 05:12 PM
Both my cats like the water, but especially Wylie, a.k.a 'the waterboy'........practically takes a bath in his water dish. We are going to get him a wading-pool next summer when our enclosed porch is done!

I LOVE that picture of Casper in the tub!

Efrat
12-04-2001, 12:31 AM
My Tsoomi LOVES playing with water! he comes running everytime we use the sink, and he loves watching us take a shower...my other cat Milki will go into the shower after we use it and drink from the left over water...

If you wanna see Tsoomi Playung with water- we took a video of it and it in our website...

Former User
12-04-2001, 01:56 AM
Well thank you Feline and Yorkster :) Tub is my fave place in the bathroom.

cr7clark
12-04-2001, 06:44 AM
Casper and Kitty are sooooo cute! I look forward to seeing their pics on Pet Talk. The pics remind me that I need to get my lazy butt in gear and scan in some pics of Bo, she has quite a cuteness factor as well.
:)

ILOVECINDER
12-30-2001, 11:10 PM
Whenever Cinder hears water running in the sink or shower, she looks at me with her big eyes! And then she grabs on to my clothes with her nails like she's trying to hug me to get away from the water. It is cute, but POOR CINDER!

-LOVE 4 CINDER-

P.S. How come some cats are afraid of water then ;)?!?!?!

alexnell
01-04-2002, 08:55 PM
Maybe the ones who are scared had traumatic experiences with water in the past, like falling into a tub accidently.

Or maybe they're afraid the water will mess up their perfectly groomed fur? :p

Ila
01-05-2002, 04:26 PM
From day one that we brought Misty home with us she has been terrified of water. When we adopted her she had a sort of not so nice smell to her. She was locked up with 7 other kittens and I wanted her to have a nice smell to her when I picked her up. So my husband and I attempted to clean her up. Now mind you I had the water already run and temperature just right. Well soon as I started to the sink and not even got her wet she was stuggling. It was pitiful to say the least we let her go and soon she had herself all cleaned up. She is a very clean cat thank goodness because I would hate to even be thinking of handling her to give her a bath she has an attitude. I don't think she ever was traumatized I just think she hates water. She likes watching us take showers just don't attempt putting her in she will run.