PDA

View Full Version : Clipping Bird Wings

Merry
04-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Okay, to make a long story short, we found a parakeet outside and will probably be keeping it awhile so I wanted to get its wings clipped.

Has anyone else done this, does it affect the bird's happiness at all?

And could I get it done at a pet store or should I go to a vet or are there any other options?

Thanks, here is a picture of the little guy:)

http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v145/squirrelperson/Silme/032-best_silme.jpg

Dogz
04-12-2004, 04:21 PM
What a cutie! PLEASE, before you start trying to get the bird to get attached to you home, put an ad in the paper, post something about it on the internet, and try EVERYTHING you can to find the owner. I bet the owner is missing their birdie terribly, and is probably worried sick.

As for the wing clipping, it would be best (In my opinion) to bring it to the vet, get it's wings clipped, and have it get a checkup-- in case any injuries occured during the flight.

Good luck, and keep us updated! :)

popcornbird
04-12-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Dogz
What a cutie! PLEASE, before you start trying to get the bird to get attached to you home, put an ad in the paper, post something about it on the internet, and try EVERYTHING you can to find the owner. I bet the owner is missing their birdie terribly, and is probably worried sick.

As for the wing clipping, it would be best (In my opinion) to bring it to the vet, get it's wings clipped, and have it get a checkup-- in case any injuries occured during the flight.

Good luck, and keep us updated! :)

I agree with Emma. Someone probably lost this poor bird, and is most likely, very upset, and dying to get him back. Please try you best to locate the owner of this bird...........post *found parakeet* signs throughout your area, with his picture and your phone number. Post it on the web, in pet stores, at vets, etc. I know you want to keep him, and this bird is very lucky to have found you, but try your best to find his owner who is probably missing him so much, and if you have no luck, then it would certainly be right to keep him. He is SUCH a cutie.

As to clipping his wings, if he got away from his home once, that is enough a tragedy to keep his wings clipped, for his own safety. My birds don't even fly when their wings are fully grown, but I do keep them clipped most of the time. It doesn't affect their happiness at all..........and clipping actually makes birds more calm and loving towards their owners. Good luck, and I hope you can find the owners of this bird. If no one claims him, he is in wonderful hands, so that is of course, a great thing.

Merry
04-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the info!:D So vet's the place to do it, huh? About how much does it cost?

Yeah I'm making posters to put up in any pet stores that will let me. I don't feel too good about posting his picture though. Someone might think he's cute and just say they lost him, so I'm just saying I have a lost bird, call to identify. If someone does care about him I'm thinking they'll call:) This actually isn't the first bird that has come to me. Last year there were two pigeons, took me ages but I found their owner so I'm hoping it'll be the same with this little birdy.

I'll called him Silme, you say it Sill-may lol

Merry
04-16-2004, 07:47 PM
Look at my siggy!:D

Dogz
04-17-2004, 10:13 AM
Cute signature :)

Please do not stop looking for the owner. I bet the owner is worried SICK. Put an ad in the paper-- keep trying! I am insisting upon this because I lost my own birdie about a month ago. It would be nice to know that someone took him in and was taking care of him, and I would want them to let me know in any way that they could.

Don't get too attached to him, you might find his owner. Just give him the love that he needs, until he goes back home.

Let us know when you bring him to the vet. You have to make sure that the 'Silme' is in tip-top shape.

Merry
04-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Please do not keep looking for the owner.

I'm assuming you didn't mean to say that lol!:eek: I'm doing the best I can, it was several months before I found Splashy's owner so I'm not giving up. Till then though he's happy here:) He's been singing and squawking all day lol

Sorry about your birdie:( I really hope you find him!

Dogz
04-25-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Merry
I'm assuming you didn't mean to say that lol!:eek: I'm doing the best I can, it was several months before I found Splashy's owner so I'm not giving up. Till then though he's happy here:) He's been singing and squawking all day lol

Sorry about your birdie:( I really hope you find him!

My mistake. :o Please keep looking for the owner. Keep us updated. :)