PDA

View Full Version : vet perscribed a "kitty prozac"

sirrahved
04-12-2004, 01:41 PM
I talked to our vet today about Pickles and his spraying. He has perscribed a drug to boost his seritonin. (sp?) Basically, he said that just like there are some people that have mental problems, some kitties do, too. He says that there is no proof that declawing ever leads to spraying, and that if he's still "sharpening" his claws, then it's most likely that he hasn't even realized that he's clawless! We're going to try this drug for a couple of weeks and psycho clean the house (again!) while he's on it. After that, we will try weening him off. The vet said that lots of times this will "reset" Pickles' behavior. So everyone, please cross fingers and paws, hoping that this makes Pickles feel better!!

K & L
04-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Catsnclay had this problem with Yoshi and he was prescribed some type of drug also.

sirrahbed
04-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Let's hope this helps Pickles!!! Keep us updated OK?? What drug is it? (I like to read about these things)
Lisa - do you know how Yoshi did on the med??

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Good luck and (((HUGS))) to you for your perseverance!!!Hope Pickles does well on the meds.

I need to give Connor tabs following his operation, and I bought one of those little "pill-poppers"at my vet - it is a God-send - I have NEVER been able to pill a cat before!

Catsnclay
04-12-2004, 02:42 PM
Yoshi is still on his meds.........only we have been slowly lowering the dosage. He has been on it now for about 1 year.

The meds we have is in liquid form, so he gets it every morning mixed in with baby food, as a "treat". He loves it, then again he eats anything any way!! :rolleyes:

It has helped, that is why we are slowly lowering the dosage. I was told that once you put them on, you have to wean them off. If you just stop, that will do more harm.

We also have a Feilway Plug-in constantly going.......so between the two............!!

catcrazylady
04-12-2004, 03:28 PM
I'm so glad you are trying this! You have my prayers that this will work. I know how frustrating it can be when they pee everywhere! Hang in there and give the meds some time. Good luck and keep us posted!

Kirsten
04-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Good luck with the new meds! Hope it helps him!

Luna has also started peeing again, but I'm sure it's a new bladder infection. :(

Kirsten

sirrahved
04-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Just gave pickles his first dose! Went down really easily. It's a tiny pill, and we have to cut it in half. I just scruffed him and popped it down! He didn't even get mad, he cuddled with me after I gave him the pill. MUCH better to give him this twice a day than to have him spray the house... so I hope it works!

lat192004
04-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Yes it is true, Prozac/fluoxetine is prescribed to cats, and it works. It stops Obsessive/compulsive behavior and other mental problems like depression.The drug works by tricking the brain into secreting more sertonin. Give it a week or two before you do anything.

catnapper
04-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Good luck! I hope this helps Pickles and he stops spraying. Paws and fingers are crossed!

sirrahved
04-12-2004, 06:32 PM
Actually, it's Cyproheptadine. It's an antihisthamine in humans, but in cats it lowers testosterone and increases seratonin.

lat192004
04-12-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by sirrahved
Actually, it's Cyproheptadine. It's an antihisthamine in humans, but in cats it lowers testosterone and increases seratonin.

Thanks for that information, Prozac seems to be the drug last resort, even after Feliway fails. Hopefully your cat won't have to go to Prozac, as just like in humans, there are side effects. Thanks again for enlightening me;)

sirrahved
04-13-2004, 05:55 AM
Feliway failed here. It didn't really seem to make a difference. He even went right next to it once!

catmandu
04-13-2004, 10:43 AM
I am a little leay , about giving Cats , Prozac , as the Breeder recommended it when Rocca came here ,she was so jumpy , but I refrained , and the other Cats calmrd her down , but in the case of Sam , who still sprays at 8 , I will give it a shot , rather than walk around , with smelly clothes!