PDA

View Full Version : Dogs don't have souls, or do they?

Amber
04-11-2004, 05:25 PM
I remember bringing you home. You were so small and cuddly with your tiny paws and soft fur.

You bounced around the room with eyes flashing and ears flopping. Once in a while, you'd let out a little yelp just to let me know this was your territory.

Making a mess of the house and chewing on everything in sight became a passion, and when I scolded you, you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes, as if to say, "I'm sorry, but I'll do it again as soon as you're not watching."

As you got older, you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by.

When I had a tough day at work, you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging just to say, "Welcome home. I missed you. "You never had a bad day, and I could always count on you to be there for me.

When I sat down to read the paper and watch TV, you would hop on my lap, looking for attention. You never asked for anything more than for me to pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg.

As you got older, you moved around more slowly. Then, one day, old age finally took its toll, and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore. I knelt down and patted you lying there, trying to make you young again. You just looked up at me as if to say you were old and tired and that after all these years of not asking for anything, you had to ask me for one last favor. With tears in my eyes, I drove you one last time to the vet. One last time, you were lying next to me.

For some strange reason, you were able to stand up in the animal hospital, perhaps it was your sense of pride.

As the vet led you away, you stopped for an instant, turned your head and looked at me as if to say, "Thank you for taking care of me."

I thought, "No... thank you for taking care of me."

By Chuck Wells

CamCamPup33
04-11-2004, 05:49 PM
That made me cry.. Im bawling my eyes out right now!! That's so nice.. Im going to send it to my mom.. :)

Thanks for sharing

Amber
04-11-2004, 06:02 PM
your welcome, made me get teary eyed too.

How time flys....

CamCamPup33
04-11-2004, 06:18 PM
I know.. I wish cami was that little fluffy thing we brought home.. :( She grew up too fast.. :( I don't really even remember her 'puppy months' :(

Anyway.... Sorry! lol

Amber
04-11-2004, 06:29 PM
Same with Katie, I missed all her puppy years, can't even remember it all, wish I could re-live it all :(

But I won't let it happen with Elvis!

slleipnir
04-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Awww, made me tear up too :X

Thanks for sharing :)

MariaM
04-11-2004, 09:09 PM
Lol. We read a story called The Soul of Caliban. It wasn't that long, maybe 20 long pages. It was pretty good though.

GoldenRetrLuver
04-11-2004, 09:12 PM
It made me teary-eyed too. :(
Thanks for sharing.

Foam
04-11-2004, 10:40 PM
Aww that is so sweet. I love the last line :(

Canis Amicus
04-12-2004, 03:50 AM
I'm so moved, i'm crying too.
Dogs are really great.
Oh, I do not have one yet :(

dukedogsmom
04-12-2004, 06:33 AM
I guess I'm never going to learn not to read these at work! Now I'm sniffling. I hope ol Duke dies at home where he's happy. That trip to the vet would be the hardest thing to do. And I do believe that we'll have them with us after we die.

Amber
04-12-2004, 07:04 AM
Yeah, Dogs are really great. They do so much for us.

Marie410
04-12-2004, 08:51 AM
That was so sweet, it made me tear up too :(

I do think any animal capable of that much love has a soul, I couldn't bear it if they didn't....

bluekat
04-12-2004, 10:32 AM
I'm trying not to cry now too:( Even though I don't even have a dog...
Thanks for sharing:)

K9soul
04-12-2004, 11:24 AM
That hit home pretty hard because of the fact I have been through it, from puppy to that nightmare trip to the vet. Only it sounded like it was written more for a small dog (jumping in the lap and stuff, although Tommy tries for the lap still :p).

The only part I didn't care for was the vet leading them away and the person watching... I would not let my dog be led away to die. I would be there with them, as I was for both Cody and Willie, until that last breath. I held them in my arms, both of them, as they left this life.

It is good, I am probably just being oversensitive about the last part.

CountryWolf07
04-12-2004, 02:20 PM
Wow.. made me get teary eyed - made me think of my 1st dog, Benny.. he did that exact same thing before my dad took him to the vet.. he was in the laundry room, and he knew. He looked at me and came to me and just let me pet him, ugh.. that was the most painful thing I've ever gone through, along with my grandmother's death later..

dukedogsmom
04-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
The only part I didn't care for was the vet leading them away and the person watching... I would not let my dog be led away to die. I would be there with them, as I was for both Cody and Willie, until that last breath. I held them in my arms, both of them, as they left this life.
I had the exact same thought! I would never have them go though that without a loved one with them. I had to do that with my Siamese cat. It was very hard to do but that's the last kind thing we can do for them.