PDA

View Full Version : Why do they eat this?

Toby's Mommy
04-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Boo Boo and Maggie both eat horse crap. Maggie is beginning to stop because I get mad at her, but Boo Boo just goes in the pasture and eats it! It is really gross and he won't stop. I have heard of dogs eating horse hooves when there clipped but never horse crap!

guster girl
04-11-2004, 04:09 PM
I'd heard from a couple different sources that it's because they may be lacking something in their diet. But, I don't know for sure....My friend's husky used to always eat kitty poo out of the litter box. But, my dog, Finn, doesn't eat our kitten's or his own, so, I don't know. What do you feed them? Have you talked to your vet?

countrycowgirl
04-11-2004, 04:26 PM
I THINK ITS JUST A DOG THING CAUSE EVERYDAY WHEN I CLEAN OUT THE HORSES AND COWS STALLS ALL OF MY DOGS DO THAT ANY DOG I HAVE EVER OWNED HAS DONE IT AND THE HORSE HOOF THING I ASKED MY FARRIER WHY THEY DID THAT HE SAID THAT THEY JUST LOVE THE TASTE ITS JUST LIKE A BONE FOR THEM HE SAID HE HAS NEVER MET A DOG THAT WOULDN'T EAT THEM:p :D

guster girl
04-11-2004, 04:32 PM
It may be just a dog thing, but, that doesn't mean it's healthy. I'm interested to see other's opinions on this. Have you done any research on why dogs eat feces? I'll probably look it up, too. But, I've never personally owned a dog that ate poo of any kind. I dunno. I'm not grossed out by it or anything, but, I don't know that it's the healthiest thing for them to eat. :)

countrycowgirl
04-11-2004, 04:41 PM
ITS NOT LIKE THEY GOBBLE IT DOWN OR ANYTHING MY DOGS ANYWAYS THE JUST KINDA LICK AND NIBBLE AT IT. I HAVE TRIED TO STOP THEM FROM DOING IT BUT I CAN'T UNLESS I PUT THEM IN THE TACK ROOM THE WHOLE TIME AND THATS NO FUN:( SO NEEDLESS TO SAY THEY GET THEIR MOUTH WASHED OUT WHEN WE GET BACK HOME:) IM NOT SURE IF IT IS UNHEATHLY FOR THEM ???:confused:

Amber
04-11-2004, 04:48 PM
guster girl is right, when katie had this problem my vet said dogs do it for nutrients that they are lacking in there diet.

countrycowgirl
04-11-2004, 04:54 PM
IDK I MEAN THINK ABOUT WHAT A HORSE EATS CORN, OATS, GRASS, HAY ,AND LIKE ALL GRAINS AND FORAGES ,MY HORSES GET HAYLIGE NOTHING THAT A DOG REALLY NEEDS OR ATLEST I DON'T THINK:confused:

Amber
04-11-2004, 04:56 PM
don't know, unless your dog(s) just like the taste, who knows when it comes to dogs. :p

But thats just what my vet said.

every dogs different

guster girl
04-11-2004, 04:59 PM
I don't know. I can't see how eating another animal's waste (the animal got rid of it because it shouldn't stay in their body in the first place) is healthy. I'm not saying at all that it's going to kill your dog, but, I don't think it's good for them either.

countrycowgirl
04-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Amber
don't know, unless your dog(s) just like the taste, who knows when it comes to dogs. :p

But thats just what my vet said.

every dogs different

KNOWING MY DOGS THAT IS PROBULY IT :p ;) LOL AND YES THAT IS TRUE EVERY DOG IS DIFFERENT:D

countrycowgirl
04-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by guster girl
I don't know. I can't see how eating another animal's waste (the animal got rid of it because it shouldn't stay in their body in the first place) is healthy. I'm not saying at all that it's going to kill your dog, but, I don't think it's good for them either.

IT MIGHT NOT BE BUT THEN AGAIN IT MIGHT I KNOW THAT BEFORE THE MAD COW THING HIT THAT THEY WOULD TAKE LIKE THE BLOOD AND MAKE BLOOD MILL OR TAKE THE LIKE INTERNAL ORAGNS AND LEAVE THE WASTE INSIDE THE STOMACH AND COOK IT THEN GRIND IT UP TO MAKE MILL AND IT IS VERY VERY VERY HIGH IN PROTIEN AND NUETRIANTS SO I REALLY DON'T KNOW????

BCBlondie
04-11-2004, 05:05 PM
LOL!! Ick haha. Sesh keeps eating our cat's poop. Very gross.. Now I nicknamed him Kaka LOL!! :p I try to tell him: "NO!" when he eats it but he thinks it's funny. :rolleyes:

guster girl
04-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Undigested or partially digested food inside of the stomach or organ meat, I can see being ok. I don't know that they were including the intestine or colon full of crap.

Lissa
04-11-2004, 06:01 PM
Layla will only eat cat poo. Nothing else, not hers, other animals, just the cats...I'm starting to wonder if its the litter she likes. I was told that all dogs do it and it isn't harmful. The vet told me it wasn't a big deal, though I don't like it because of the breath....:eek:

Desert Arabian
04-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Horse manure is every nutricious and rich, that is most likely why they eat it. There is also a lot of undigested food items in manure, which the dogs may be attracted to also. Foals eat their mothers fresh manure to get nutrients from it too.

I would make sure they stop eating it ASAP, since manure can harbor eggs/larva of worms such as whip, hook, and tape- play it safe....

MariaM
04-11-2004, 09:04 PM
The labrador puppies in my post Cruel People (not because of that) were eating horse crap. Don't know why.

Kathleen
04-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Its a dog thing. Our dogs eat horse manure, fresh when we walk this park where horses go. WE tell them LEAVE IT and pull them on. And my mom did away with the cats kitty litter box and so the burmese cat was doing it in front garden box by front door and the dogs would jump in it and eat the cat poop which is not goof for them at all. We would yell leave it and get them out.
Just something they like.
Our dogs go around and eat bunny poop as we have wild bunnies that run on our property. They have since they were little puppies, they love them like candy.

Toby's Mommy
04-12-2004, 10:35 AM
I have heard that it is high in Protein and Nutrients. As for the breath thing Boo Boo gets breath mints and Maggie still has her puppy breath:) . Boo Boo usually only eats the fresh stuff but Maggie eats anything. Maggie is going to the vet anyday now so I'll talk to him.
Maggie eats Purina Puppy Chow and I don't know what Boo Boo eats since my grandpa usually feeds him. I think he gets Dog Chow? Maybe Alpo?