PDA

View Full Version : Poor Ashley

QueenScoopalot
04-11-2004, 02:51 PM
It was by luck that I drove up a side street (dead end too) last night and spotted a hunched over longhaired grey kitty. She was next to a large storage trailer the same color as the cat. Poor little cats nose was drooped in the sand, and she was almost too weak to get up and move. Leslie was with me on this safari. I almost was able to get her to go into the trap, but she had no sense of smell so I drove home and got my large net. Got back a few minutes later and managed between pushing with my arm, and making noise under the trailer with a stick to get her out enough to get her netted and contained in a laundry bag. Got her home and set her up in a carrier with a heating pad, gave her sub-Q fluids, and an antibiotic. I checked on her before I dropped at midnight and gave her lots of pats and went to bed. Sadly when I woke to check on her at six this morning, she had died :( :( :( Poor little bag of skin and bones wasn't even a year old judging by her teeth. Tossed out like garbage. I'm just so lucky we spotted her and gave her a few hours of warmth and love, and that she didn't die outside. So terribly sad still.:( I wish I could say a month from now...here's her after picture, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. http://img42.photobucket.com/albums/v128/QueenScoopalot/AshleyFromLewisSt.jpg

catmandu
04-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Por Little Stray , well now she will have a place at The Rainbow Bridge , where she will never be Hungry , Or Cold Again! RIP Ashley!

trayi52
04-11-2004, 03:04 PM
Jan, she sure was pretty. Even in her condition, you could tell she was a beauty. All that long hair! I just don't see how anybody can just throw any cat away. I don't understand that at all!

Godspeed to RB, sweet Ashley.

Willie

kuhio98
04-11-2004, 03:09 PM
Jan - So sorry that it was too late for Ashley. All our babies that have crossed over will keep her safe and sound. At least her last hours were warm and comfey.

leslie flenner
04-11-2004, 04:39 PM
oooooooohhhhhhh..... This sad kitten..... She fell asleep in the car (in a laundry bag and in a net), then fell asleep in my lap as I sat on the edge of the tub with her for a half hour while Jan adminstered fluids and Clavamox. Eventually, I could feel some body heat come through onto my legs but it took a while. i think when her eyes were open she saw very little. She was too far gone. the fluids kept coming out of the hole in her dehydrated back. She never stirred when jan had to reposition the needle. She absorbed the solution quickly but it was obvious that she was too far gone to benefit (but one HAS to try....). The heating pad in the carrier gave her warmth, Jan says by late night, she crawled out of the laundry bag, being warm enough- better that the cold body temp she had I suppose (and it was on low to prevent over heating...). There are other cats there that are not being attended to as well. this poor gal must've been put out this past winter. We had sub-degree temps- the yellow and pink fluid jan found under her mouth after she died, jan says is indicative of pneumonia... And there's a tortie under that gray metal box (with newborns?- likely!!!!!!). I'm so tired of people putting their pets out....
But we never caught the siamese with the broken leg who keeps running across the street - the reason we were out in the first place!! Or the mother and kitten or the "romping kittens" as neighbors claim to have seen...
Jan- it's nearly dark, you better go check the traps in about 30 minutes!! You're so good! Jan did get a siamese feral kitten that needs socializing, any volunteers?

slick
04-13-2004, 09:50 AM
:( :( This is so sad. Bless you for keeping this little kitty warm for her last night here on earth. She's now healthy and pain free at the RB.

Logan
04-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Thank you for being there for her in her final hours. Her last few hours were so much better, given that you were there for her. Rest in peace, precious Ashley. :(

Cataholic
04-15-2004, 10:01 AM
This broke my heart. She passed on with love, and sometimes that is all we can offer. Your love and compassion gave her wings to the RB...she is forever grateful, I know it. RIP Ashley.

QueenScoopalot
04-15-2004, 12:10 PM
It broke my heart too. Poor kitty wasn't even a year old. So sad, but I'm glad she died warm and dry. Poor little girl. :(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-15-2004, 12:35 PM
You know, it's always sad when a beloved pet dies and you know the person is really grieving over the loss of their companion. However, it's stories like Ashley's that really get to me. The poor little thing really didn't deserve this type of treatment and it just makes me so sad. :(

However (again), I'm so glad you were there for her and gave her a warm bed and showed her that some humans are capable of loving a poor little waif like her. Thanks for trying your best, Jan. You will definitely be rewarded for all your good work with these poor throw-aways.

RIP sweet little Ashley. :(

moosmom
04-17-2004, 09:42 AM
Jan and Leslie,

Ashley was very lucky to have you two care for her in her final hours. At least she went to the RB knowing that she was loved.

RIP precious Ashley. Have the wonderful life you deserved!! :(

rg_girlca
04-17-2004, 12:31 PM
Oh gosh, this is so, so sad. Sitting here with tears running down my face.
As others have said, I am so glad that you were there for Ashley in her final hours, to give her warmth and love. She was such a pretty girl.

Rest in Peace precious and enjoy your time on Rainbow Bridge.

leslie flenner
04-19-2004, 07:31 PM
QueenScoopalot- are you keeping an eye out for the tortie that was sleeping in the leaves nearby? And did ya get the broken legged Siamese tom cat yet? you haven't called for help so assume you have help or are swamped with (I know-kittens coming out of your ears) but being curious... I saw a heron today by the side of the road and of course had no camera! Swans were hiding or gone...

kimlovescats
04-19-2004, 08:40 PM
This just really breaks my heart ..... and the picture is so hard to see. :( :( Thank you so much for bringing this poor baby inside and trying your best to save her life. My vet has told me that once the body temperature drops that low, it is always "too late". Rest in peace, sweet Ashley!