PDA

View Full Version : Arrrgggghhh! It's "curtains" for Cassy

AmberLee
06-28-2001, 09:33 PM
Hi --

Sorry to be melodramatic here, but I'm giving myself a time-out. :mad: Cassy just tried to climb the curtains and not only did he bring the curtains down, the hardware attaching them to the wall actually came out, too. Cassy's fine, I should be thrilled about that, but I really just want to scream at him. I know he doesn't understand... I'm so annoyed right now I need to vent here before I can handle him/ this mess in the bedroom.

Arrrgggghhhh! :rolleyes:

[ June 28, 2001: Message edited by: AmberLee ]

4 feline house
06-28-2001, 09:55 PM
Well, the only words of comfort I can come up with is - "it's happened to all us cat owners at one time or another". Sorry I couldn't help more.

AmberLee
06-29-2001, 04:52 PM
He's in excellent shape.

The curtain is fine.

The wall is horsed up and I'm trying to figure out how to fix it.

I'm back to normal (at least as close to normal as I get...) :rolleyes:

Sorry to vent at y'all.

4 feline house
06-29-2001, 06:58 PM
Spackle or tape and joint compound work wonders, but of course you will then either have to match the paint or repaint, and you will have to reposition the curtains. If you're lucky, your curtains will cover up the repair job and you won't have to paint until it's time to do the whole room/house again.

sasvermont
06-30-2001, 06:24 AM
Well, the old curtain capers! I have found that they (I have/had two climbers at one time)....will learn NOT to do it if you let them know that it is not a good thing to do. I have resorted to a sharp "NO" as they head for the site and then I reach for the ole' spray bottle. One or two shots of the spray will usually do it. I still see them eyeing the curtains from time to time. Mine happened to be fastened securely to the frame of the window, so who knows what they do when I am at work! Good luck and I hope you let them know that some behavior is just not acceptable. You will be happier in the long run. Cats are not stupid, by any means, and don't like being scolded, so there is some light at the end of the tunnel! GOOD LUCK!

lisajb
07-24-2001, 11:56 AM
Milo scaled the venetian blinds to get to the top of a little tree in the house for some "salad" once. Cats do carzy things. He also ate my sofa (yes little fang imprints!!!!!!) while he was adjusting to my house. Hang in there...they do kooky things but they are oh so loveable!!!

4 feline house
07-24-2001, 01:09 PM
"Fang Prints" - I think the only purse I have that doesn't have those is my canvas one - all the leather and fake leather ones have them!

AmberLee
07-24-2001, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the advice and warm wishes. The wall has been spackled and 'touch-up' painted. At this moment the curtains/curtain rod are down. I do need to train Cassy that climbing is a no-no, and admit that I anticipate trouble here. He's very strong willed. (Or really enjoys attention...)

Cynthia
07-24-2001, 05:37 PM
Cassy sounds a lot like my Emmett, who did the same thing to my vertical blinds the very first week at my house! Took down the whole rod and scared me to death...and it took two more days to get the rod back up! But I think it must have scared him too, because he's never tried it again! That was 2 and a half years ago, and he's calmed down a lot since then. He still has his "psycho" moments when he runs around the house at top speed, but that usually means he wants to play. I agree, it's one of the loveable things cats do. And I guess we all have our spray bottles!

Helen
07-25-2001, 03:22 AM
I felt like screaming at Sadie the other night, just like you AmberLee. She always sits on a dining chair at the table with us when we're eating, only to be sociable of course, she doesn't want our food. The other night, in a playful mood, she managed to get her claws stuck in the table cloth, yanked as hard as she could to get free, and had salt and pepper, bread basket, and a FULL cup of tea, all over the floor!

Don't you just love them?! 'Course we do!

Pam
07-25-2001, 05:35 AM
I love the fang prints comments! :D I had a wicker basket that I kept magazines in when Trevor was a kitten. He totally destroyed it by the time he was a year old! Speaking of cats leaving evidence of their naughtiness, anyone ever have tongue prints in their butter?! :D

TheAntiPam
07-25-2001, 10:05 AM
So far, no curtain climbing here, but I sure understand about the wicker basket. I had a wicker clothes hamper which was quickly shredded by my first cat. So, rather than get mad, I covered the hamper with carpet, and let all the cats use it for scratching. Some battles just cannot be won with kitties! :p :p :p

4 feline house
07-25-2001, 11:07 AM
Tongue prints in the butter, tongue prints in the cream cheese, tongue prints in the mayonnaise - no open or uncovered high-fat food is safe!

AmberLee
08-01-2001, 08:18 PM
Heh, heh. Just popped in for a minute -- PAW print in the butter.

Not sure why Cassy enjoys chomping cardboard so, but I recently recognized his fang-prints at our community recycle bin. Since I hadn't put it there (and I'm the only one in our home that believes in recycling, sigh) it felt like 'Twilight Zone' time. Triple take thinking I'd lost my mind, but it turned out a neighbor recycled a box I'd given him shortly after it was 'taste tested' by Cassy. Kind of weird...

4 feline house
08-01-2001, 11:33 PM
AmberLee, that was weird! I would have been freaked!

Ila
08-17-2001, 11:40 AM
What can I say we probably all at one time if you have cats have been through the same thing your going through. Their nature is to climb and we give them so much to climb on in a house. Misty climbed my curtains too. She has quieted down some in the last year. She will be 5 in December. So hopefuly with age things will get better for you to. That & keep after the kitty every chance you get and they learn. Good Luck!!
;) :D

wolflady
08-20-2001, 12:42 PM
No curtain climbing here...but something totally strange happened the other night. In the evenings after work, we usually open up our windows to cool the house down (we don't have ac). We've been doing this for a long time now. Well, I was sitting on the couch watching TV (there a a large window just above the couch), when out of nowhere, a big white blob just freaking launched itself right through the window!!!! It took a few seconds to register just what happened! My cat Marius somehow got the urge to fly the coop straight through our screen. I saw him tearing down our front walk (after the neighborhood stray that I've been feeding). Suddenly I was in a panic and couldn't help but think about Jasper and his mom. Marius had no tags on for he is always indoors! Luckily my husband went out after him, and got him to head back toward the house. He tried jumping through the other side of the window (the one that was closed...duh) then he took off to the side of the house. My husband was able to grab him, but it still had my heart pounding! He's never done anything like that before! Usually he lays on the windowsill and looks out, but for some reason, he decided to take a flying leap right through the screen! Ok, so I'm thinking, did he know that window was open, or would he have just splatted on the window had it been closed??? CATS! :rolleyes:

AmberLee
08-20-2001, 07:46 PM
Dear Wolflady,

Whew! What a relief that Marius was caught so quickly. Your heart must having been racing with the shock/surprise/fear... They are amazing little critters, aren't they? So glad your happy ending came quickly for you.

{{{Wolflady, Marius, fleet-footed hubby}}} :D

Pam
08-20-2001, 08:06 PM
Wow Karen!! So glad that Marius is all right!! Andy said to tell him that he almost used up one of his 9 lives!! :D

My sister-in-law has a mixed breed dog that weighs about 20 lbs. Her windows in the living room are low and the dog has always enjoyed watching things going on outside. One day a few years ago, for no particular reason, the dog got the idea to jump through the window when the UPS man came!! :eek: My sister-in-law was at work but fortunately the kids were home on summer vacation. No telling what might have happened. Amazingly the dog was not cut (and the UPS man was OK too! :D )

wolflady
08-21-2001, 12:16 PM
Thanks Amberlee and Pam! It was most definitely a strange, but momentarily frightening experience!! Needless to say, we're really cautious about the windows being open now :rolleyes:
Pam, wonder what it is with animals and going through the window! Good thing the dog wasn't hurt and the UPS man was there. Honestly, you gotta sometimes think that people or things being in a particular place at a certain point in time isn't meerly coincidence...but there for a reason, you know?? :D *hugs* to you guys!!! :D :D

AngieS
08-21-2001, 08:18 PM
i know how you were feeling AmberLee. my cat has climbed on my curtan in my living room until she ripped it several times! :mad:
she hasn't climbed the new curtain yet. i'm sure she will eventually :D i have tried and tried to stop her from climbing. she knows she isn't suppose to because she gets down and runs if i yell for her to stop.

Ila
08-23-2001, 11:32 AM
Wolflady!!! Wow what a story! Good thing the hubby has long legs to chase down the Marius. He is lucky he went after him and caught him. He saved his life. He could have gotten hurt out in this cruel world. :)