PDA

View Full Version : spoiling your dog

Amber
04-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Can you spoil a dog, by holding them too much?

CamCamPup33
04-10-2004, 02:48 PM
No clue, but if you can that's all i ever did when cami was a puppy! I guess that's why she's so spoiled now! :p

DogLover9501
I don't think so! All 3 of our dogs love to be in people's arms, even Jasper, who now weighs 43+ pounds get up and lays in my arms(usually half in my arms now :p) and it brings back those puppy memories when he could fit there completely, the other 2 are small and love to be in arms, mostly my moms, and I don't think theres anything wrong with having a lap dog;)

Pam
Probably, and I am guilty as charged! :) Ripley is always in my lap or right next to my side. Bella likes to be near but doesn't have to be close enough to feel my body heat. :) I don't believe there is a thing wrong with spoiling one's dog. Isn't that what we're supposed to do? :p

Amber
04-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Yup Pam! Doggies were put on Earth for us humans to spoil and pamper :p :p

Thanks, so I'm guessing its okay, because i'm always holding elvis 24/7 (even though it hasnt been a week yet, but still)
He's always barking up at me for me to hold him. lol :p
my mom said, he's going to end up being a spoiled little dog.

he's sleping all curled up on my lap now....awww!

primabella
04-10-2004, 03:04 PM
I don't think you can because when Mickey was a puppy, he loved to crawl into our laps and just fall asleep. My dad thought if we allowed him to do that, he'd become spoiled thinking he'd be allowed to do whatever he wanted. So we didn't let Mickey come into our laps anymore unless we put him there. :(

He's always barking up at me for me to hold him. lol
Exactly that. ;)

He grew up being the same sweet dog but not as affectionate. I so regret doing that. :(

So honestly, I don't think holding your dog can really affect him in that way.

Pam
04-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Amber
He's always barking up at me for me to hold him. lol :p

I think this is pretty common behavior for small dogs and I don't think it is hurting him at all. He is fairly new to your home and I think the security that you offer him by holding him now is something that he needs. Of course I am in no way a dog behaviorist. I am just a pushover for little dogs that want to be held. :p

guster girl
04-10-2004, 04:18 PM
I don't think it's spoiling a dog to hold him, regardless of the size. I held my roommate's full grown siberian husky (and he weighed 85 lbs, big like a malamute), Nikolai. :) But, I did want to throw this out there just as a thought. I do think it's a bad idea to do anything to or for your dog when HE wants it or asks for it. Like if he's barking at you (which I saw that you mentioned it), and, you pick him up, I don't think that's a good idea at all. It's that whole NILF theory. And, don't terriers tend to be demanding and stubborn? I don't know, I could be totally off here, but, that was my first thought when I read this thread. Maybe even making him do something before you hold him, like making him sit or lay down or something. Just so he always knows his place in the pack. does that make sense? :)

Lissa
04-10-2004, 05:31 PM
I think guster girl is right about that. You might have control issues later if he is the one telling you when to pick him up. Layla loved to be held as a puppy, but she grew out of it. I don't know if its because she feels secure now but she doesn't like to be held or lay on my lap, though she cuddles next to me and I hold her that way. I don't see any problem with holding a dog too much, and he may be like Layla and grow out of it. It may be a security thing like Pam said.

Amber
04-10-2004, 05:40 PM
yeah. Thats true.

Right now, I'll just give him all the comfort he needs because he is just a little baby. And when he gets older, I'll have him sit, to be held.

Would that be better?

guster girl
04-10-2004, 06:28 PM
I'd say he's already sorta "training you" that when he barks, you should pick him up, so, I'd be nervous about letting it go any longer like that. He should be old enough to teach him to sit right now. It's a very easy command. Finn was eight weeks old and it took only a few training sessions and he was sitting with just a hand signal. But, I don't know, I'm not a behaviorist or trainer, just have read a lot on the topic. But, I'd say not to wait til he's older, but, I'm also really rigid with my own pets about knowing their place. I don't let my dog on the furniture at all, I don't let him go out of doors before me, he eats after I do, etc. So, I guess it just depends on what you're wanting from your pet.

Amber
04-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Thanks guster girl for the advice! :D

guster girl
04-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Hey, no problem. When I first started posting about Finn, I got tons of advice. :) I'm just passing on what I was told. But, trust me, you will get more, and, then it's just up to you and your adorable elvis to figure out what works for you. ;) Keep us posted on his progress, and, post lots of photos.

Shelteez2
04-10-2004, 10:35 PM
I agree with the others in that he is training you. :)

I think it would be a good idea to teach him how to sit to be picked up right now. It's never too early to start learning, and you'll be setting a good foundation for training.

BTW Congrats, he is so flippin' cute!!! :D

jenfer
04-11-2004, 12:00 AM
I don't know the answer. But Gigi loves to be on my lap or have me around.

slleipnir
04-11-2004, 12:14 AM
Both my dogs are pretty bigish..and they're lapdogs O_O No idea how that happened :rolleyes: