PDA

View Full Version : I HATE Viruses and Spyware!

Tweety_Pie
04-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Spyware and Viruses are REALLY annoying! A couple of weeks ago I got that Trojan Viruse and it took FOREVER to get rid of!

Just in emails alone, my dad has been sent 114 viruses:eek: !

I always get those pop ups for Comet Curser, Bonzai Buddy, Gator, ect. I have AVG anti-virus and Pop up stopper. But they still get by:mad:

My brother had to get his computer rebuilt because he got viruses from Kazaa.

Anyone else annoyed with viruses and spyware?

**sorry for my little rant**

Nomilynn
04-10-2004, 01:32 PM
Really the best way to avoid those kinds of viruses is to NOT sign up for email lists, the little desktop games, etc. Also, never open a pop up, just close it. I have antivirus and pop up blockers too, but sometimes they just get through. I rarely have issues with viruses because I just avoid those kinds of sites and mailing lists.

slleipnir
04-10-2004, 02:03 PM
I know how you feel. I get a lot too. My dad and I went through the other day getting rid of stuff. I ran Adaware and spybot. Then I used a couple other programs he gave me like regedit and all this to clean away from from the registry O_O I got this download.trojan the other day..I have no idea if I still have it but I can't get rid of it if I do lol. We also have a firewall which seems to help too.

popcornbird
04-10-2004, 02:38 PM
All you have to do is never go to Kazaa..............never download stuff from unknown sources, ignore the pop ups.......just close them, and don't open ANY email from ANY unknown source. That's what I do, and I don't have a problem. We do have a firewall too.

slick
04-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Download and install a free program called Ad-Aware. Run it once a week and it will get rid of all Spyware on your computer. There's also another one called Window Washer.

Dogz
04-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by slick
Download and install a free program called Ad-Aware. Run it once a week and it will get rid of all Spyware on your computer. There's also another one called Window Washer.

Exactly. This is what I have, and it is rare that I get pop ups.

bluekat
04-10-2004, 05:33 PM
I know how you feel. I just downloaded MSN Plus on both of my computers awhile ago, and now I got a virus that just won't go away!:mad: My dad got rid of it a few times, but it just comes back whenever I change the homepage or whenever I try to take away the toolbar thing that keeps coming back:mad: Its so annoying....now my computers freeze all the time.

todd
04-10-2004, 09:45 PM
I hate that to

catnapper
04-10-2004, 10:48 PM
I'm telling you the best thing I ever did was buy Norton's Internet Security. Its virus protection, Pop-up blocker and firewall all in one. You can specify what sites can be blocked... we have gator, weatherbug, and a few others that rive us nuts with once-its-on-you-can't-get-it-off. It was fairly cheap (as I remember) and well worth the money in frustrations!

You'll be amazed at how much your current virus blocker isn't blcocking once the firewall is set up!

trayi52
04-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Oh I agree with catnapper! I took her advice and bought Norton's Internet Security, and I have not had any pop ups at all, and no more spam! Thank you Catnapper! It is a wonderful program, I don't know what I would do without it now.

Willie:D

catnapper
04-10-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Oh I agree with catnapper! I took her advice and bought Norton's Internet Security, and I have not had any pop ups at all, and no more spam! Thank you Catnapper! It is a wonderful program, I don't know what I would do without it now.

Willie:D

You're welcome! All in a day's work ;) It really helps!:D

trayi52
04-10-2004, 11:13 PM
I was just wondering catnapper, do you think I still need the spyware or the ad-ware even installed on my computer anymore?
Do you have those programs on your computer?

Willie

Dogz
04-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by trayi52
I was just wondering catnapper, do you think I still need the spyware or the ad-ware even installed on my computer anymore?
Do you have those programs on your computer?

Willie

I have Norton and Ad-Aware.

About the toolbar thing, we downloaded that once also. Our computer started going really slow and even freezing up. Just make sure you go to your Control Panel, and then click on 'Add or remove programs'. We have never had any programs come back.

ChiRen
04-11-2004, 11:23 AM
My brother ran Ad-Aware on my computer once and it got rid of programs that I needed in order for my DSL and stuff to work. I ended up having to put the refresher CD for my computer in and starting all over. Needless to say, I was not happy with my brother. lol.
Does it always do that????

I vowed not to do it again, but lately, my computer has been running a lot slower and I'm getting those random underlined words on web pages. :mad: :mad: :mad:

boscibo
04-11-2004, 11:26 AM
If you are using Internet Explorer, try this: Open the browser, go to "tools" then "Internet Options" and hit the "advanced" tab. Scroll down to where it says "Enable install on demand" and uncheck those boxes. The next time a spyware tries to download from a website, you will get a pop-up box asking you if you want to allow the download. Otherwise, with those boxes checked anything can download without your permission - I don't know why Microsoft has those boxes unchecked by default, it's really stupid.

ChiRen
04-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by boscibo
If you are using Internet Explorer, try this: Open the browser, go to "tools" then "Internet Options" and hit the "advanced" tab. Scroll down to where it says "Enable install on demand" and uncheck those boxes. The next time a spyware tries to download from a website, you will get a pop-up box asking you if you want to allow the download. Otherwise, with those boxes checked anything can download without your permission - I don't know why Microsoft has those boxes unchecked by default, it's really stupid.

Thanks! :)