PDA

View Full Version : URGENT Charlie Question! Help!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
04-09-2004, 05:47 PM
I noticed Charlie was standing on one foot, but that's normal in happy birds. My brother put her on his shoulder and I saw a little closer, and the skin was peeled back almost all the way around her middle toe. It is NOT bleeding, and the bone is NOT exposed. She just favors it a little, holding it up when she stands. She does pick at it a little, I think maybe it hurts her a little... what should I do?

Note: The skin that is peeled back, it is NOT her whole toe, it is just a small area of skin, about the WIDTH of one of her toes.

I'm kinda concerned... :(

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
04-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Here's a pic I had of her foot, the red indicating where the skin is peeled back.

http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v58/FlamingoBlue/Charlie%20Pics/charliecut.jpg

CamCamPup33
04-09-2004, 06:49 PM
Im not sure, but i think maybe you should call your vet if your worried, but seeings i dont have a bird (Pouts!) I wouldn't know. I'll try doing a search for you, and see what i come up with..

*Get better soon charlie!*

ticosmyham
04-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Well, my mom said that you should just start out by putting some vitamin E (from a caplet) on her toe. And she also thinks that you should take out that one perch from her cage with the sandy stuff on it. She said that might be causing some sort of abbrasian. Maybe go outside and get some small branches for a new perch. But if you do that, and you are not ABSOLUTLEY sure that the branch has not been exposed to any pesticides, then you can bake it in your oven at a low heat for about ten minutes or so. Other than that, we don't know what to tell ya macky.

popcornbird
04-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Well..............it is normal for birds to stand on one foot while relaxing........it is actually a sign of good health. I can't tell where her skin is peeled from in the picture, but I must say the skin on her foot apears to be quite dry. I don't know it its just the picture but here's a picture of Muffin's feet so you can compare.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/pf595dd93fa8b9a0c077539b33116b4c6/fc38e1a0.jpg

I would think it is just dry skin peeling off, but if you are concerned, try calling the vet and asking. You don't have sand covered perches, do you? Those can cause injury to birds' feet. I'm sure its nothing serious, but ask your vet if you're concerned, and if it seems that its bothering her. Try rubbing a bit of oil on her feet if they are too dry.

Ps. Are you giving her showers at all?