View Full Version : Don't Talk in The Library

G.P.girl
04-09-2004, 04:46 PM
http://www.thekcrachannel.com/news/2949768/detail.html

Librarian Accused Of Taping Students' Mouths
School District Confirms Employee Is On Administrative Leave

POSTED: 11:07 am PST March 25, 2004
UPDATED: 11:23 am PST March 25, 2004

ELK GROVE, Calif. -- A third-grade student says he and his classmates had their mouths taped shut at an Elk Grove elementary school. Now, a school employee has been placed on administrative leave.

The boy's mother says she found out over the weekend when she overheard her son, Jack Ortega (pictured, right), talking about the alleged incident, which he says happened six months ago.

"She put tape on our mouths. Then, when we had to leave, she said if we talk again, she'll get the same tape and put it back on our mouths," Jack Ortega said.

Some parents say a school librarian taped the students' mouths shut with tape because they were too loud in class.

"I think about all these babies in line with tape because they get out of control. But kids talk. He's only in the third grade," said Jack Ortega's mother, Norma Ortega.

On Wednesday, district leaders confirmed that an Arthur Butler Elementary employee has been put on paid administrative leave, which, they say, is standard procedure while officials investigate the allegations.

The alleged incident took place in October, but a complaint wasn't filed with district leaders until last Monday.

"The district is disheartened whenever there's an incident that involves children, and we are conducting an investigation," said Elk Grove Unified School District chief of staff Martin Cavanaugh.

But Norma Ortega says the district's statement gives little comfort and her trust in the classroom has been ripped away.

"It bothers me to think I'm at work, and his teacher is there. And (I'm) thinking she's a wonderful teacher that I always thought she was. But I don't trust her," Norma Ortega said.

The school district said its investigation could take up to 30 days.

hmmm...it's a good thing i'm not a librarian because i would prob;y end up doing the same thing

guster girl
04-09-2004, 10:22 PM
You'd put tape on their mouths? Were you being sarcastic or serious?

CountryWolf07
04-09-2004, 11:20 PM
What an idiotic teacher! :mad: Kids are kids! Live with it!

G.P.girl
04-10-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by guster girl
You'd put tape on their mouths? Were you being sarcastic or serious?
lol i was being sarcastic. but it does annoy me when people talk really loud in a library

guster girl
04-10-2004, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by G.P.girl
lol i was being sarcastic. but it does annoy me when people talk really loud in a library

Cool. But, hey, these are third graders we're talking about. Kick them out of the library or discipline them with detention or take away certain privileges or something. I have serious issues with teachers physically disciplining other people's children anyway, but, that's an entire other subject. ;)

Karen
04-10-2004, 09:04 AM
They are third graders, not kindergarteners. They are not "babies" as the mother called them. I wonder when people expect children to take responsibility for their own behavior these days?

I do not agree with taping their mouths shut. If she cannot control their behavior any other way - separating the chatters from each other, or at last resort, removing the worst offender from the room, detention reshelving library books for a week, etc., though, she needs to not be an elementary school librarian.