PDA

View Full Version : DVD/CD drive problem - help?

CountryWolf07
04-09-2004, 10:42 AM
If anyone knows.. or has had this happen before..

My CD/DVD drive doesn't recognize what I put in the drive. Usually I get a prompt to let me know it's in there, and allows me to choose a program to open it with. It started few days ago. I don't know what happened, or anything, I'm kind of worried. This laptop is only 8-9 months old, barely a year old. So, it doesn't even recognize my DVDs or PLAY IT, too as well. I can play my CDs if I go into Windows Media or RealPlayer, but I don't get a prompt for it when I insert the CD in, that lets me know that the CD is in.

I think of what started this problem is that I played a DVD few days ago and it froze when I tried to switch it to a different program, then it started not working afterwards..

Did my CD/DVD drive go bad or something? Can anyone suggest anything on what I should do? Thanks! Keep in mind, I have a laptop. Thanks! :)

slleipnir
04-09-2004, 11:32 AM
So it plays stuff so long as you open a program first? My laptop does the same sometimes. Most times I put a CD in I need open the program to play it. Usually DVDs for me open a program automatically though. I don't think it's much of a problem if you can still play the CDs..if it didn't work at all I'd be worried.

Karen
04-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Perhaps you could reinstall the driver? (Software that controls the CD/DVD drive., that is device-specific.)

Lilith Cherry
04-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Mine was doing the same thing until I cleaned it using a special cleaning disc; now it works very well again!

RICHARD
04-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Yes,

The laser 'eye' picks up dirt and dust and has problems reading the discs. A good cleaning every couple of weeks will help.