PDA

View Full Version : "7 Habits You Need To Break"

Dogz
04-09-2004, 10:14 AM
I found this article under MSN Dating & Personals.

------------------------------------------------------------------

If you've been living alone for the past few years, odds are you've developed some habits that just might (to phrase it politely) strike the new guy or gal in your life as somewhat strange. Changing deeply entrenched behavior takes time and effort, so even if you're convinced the polar ice caps will melt before you meet someone, fall in love, get married and move in together, you might want to start the process by identifying these relationship-defying quirks:

1. 45-minute showers
There's nothing like steaming up the entire bathroom on a chilly spring morning-except, that is, when there's someone outside waiting to do his or her business. If you're a guy, you can kiss these ablutionary marathons goodbye — and if you're a gal, well, you'll have to cut them back to half an hour, tops.

2. Spoiled pets
Strict disciplinarian that you are, you're perfectly fine with Bonkers the dog snarfing your Wheaties in the morning, and it's just so cute when Cleavis the cat curls up in the kitchen sink for a nap. Even if he's a pet lover, your boyfriend will be horrified. Show the beasts who's boss — if nothing else, it'll be good practice for your love life.

3. "Casual Sunday"
Dragging yourself out of bed at 2 PM, trudging around the house all afternoon in your bathrobe, brushing your teeth over the six o'clock news and only taking a shower after dinner — unless your new beau is as laid-back (read: as big a slob) as you are, all that will soon be as extinct as the dust bunnies under your bed.

4. All TV, all the time
When you've been alone for a while, the TV can seem almost like a live-in companion — you may not even notice its intrusive blare 24 hours a day. Your real live-in companion, however, is likely to take heed. Be sure to turn the tube off occasionally, lest he put an axe through it first.

5. Pretzels in bed
As long as no one's watching, that queen-size mattress might as well be an enormous dinner table (guys are especially partial to this habit — it has something to do with getting yelled at by mom). Keep it to the kitchen, thank you, and while we're on the subject, try to clean your sheets once every few months, too.

6. Aimless whistling
This is an especially insidious habit, because most itinerant whistlers aren't even aware what they're doing — until, that is, they notice the people around them desperately trying to claw open windows and jump out. On the other hand, if your new squeeze is an incorrigible hummer, the two of you just might be made for each other.

7. Lack of silverware
This one's especially for the men — After a certain age, a guy resigns himself to the fact that he doesn't need full dining-room service for four — one or two plates, an enormous bowl, and a knife and spork will do just fine (as well as make washing dishes a less onerous task). If you suspect a romance is in your future, invest in table settings for at least two. And if you think it'll be a really serious romance, go crazy and buy three or four.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I would MUCH rather spoil my pets than find 'the one'. If they don't like it TOO BAD. :p

lbaker
04-09-2004, 10:37 AM
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I expect to stay single for the rest of my life. Just too darn set in my ways and too tired to change :rolleyes:

gini
04-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Rascal does not "snarf" my Wheaties in the morning and he is very patient as I take my 45 minute shower.

Oh, and alright, so he likes to sit on my lap especially on my green bathrobe - and he looks so pretty on green. But that is the only reason I might still be in it at 2:00 PM.

And I DO manage to brush my teeth far earlier than during the 6 o'clock news.

And what are the other ones? Nope, they don't apply to me:D :D :D

slick
04-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by lbaker
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I expect to stay single for the rest of my life. Just too darn set in my ways and too tired to change :rolleyes:
Took the words right out of my mouth Laurie.

lovemyshiba
04-09-2004, 11:20 AM
I'm married, and guess what?? Most of these so called "bad habits" still occur here daily.

1. I take a bath for at least an hour, and my husband is usually in the shower for at least 30 minutes--we have 2 bathrooms!!!

2. This one is especially funny to me. My husband is the "disciplinarian" when it comes to the dogs. When he's not home, all hell breaks loose--they sleep with me, they run in and out with muddy paws, they get pizza crusts, and hand fed if I feel like it. The know how to behave when he's here or not--that's the way to train them.

3. Neither of us are slobs (maybe I am, if you ask him), but we love lazy Sundays--we both have the day off, drag ourselves out of bed when we want, shower when we want, and do nothing all day if we please.

4. Our tv is always on

5. There's nothing wrong with the occasional snack in bed.

6. Neither of us are whistlers

7. My husband had the silverware and dishes desribed when we started dating--we went out to eat!!!!

catnapper
04-09-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm married with 3 teens... We break every rule a dozen times a day

1: Picture it: one bathroom... 5 people. No matter if you're taking a five minute shower or a 45 minute shower... someone is going to say, "is the curtain closed?" you shout back "yep" they enter, do their business and say "Flush when you're out." :D yuck.. but you get used to it. Especially when you're the one doing the pee dance outside the door. ;)

2: One of the things I fell in love with my husband was that he spoiled his dog. He's the big pushiver in the family when it comes to the animals.

3: Most of the time, we live in sweats. We get home from work, and the nice clothes get ripped off and the sweats go on. We are running fromone plce to another... busy busy busy. We might as well be comfy.

4: You mean the TV has an off switch?

5: Food never makes it to the room... its usually devoured on the walk from the kitchen to the room. It never has a chance to make it to the bed. ;)

6: Humming.. whistling? I've never met anyone who does that. Where'd they get that piece of advice?

7: We are seriously lacking in dishes and silverware. We pick it up when we see it one sale and nothing matches even remotely.

Soeone needed to meet a dating article deadline and pulled this out of their butt five mintues before deadline.:rolleyes:

RICHARD
04-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by catnapper

Soeone needed to meet a dating article deadline and pulled this out of their butt five mintues before deadline.:rolleyes:

Doctor:

How did you get those papercuts on your rear???

Person:

I am a writer and I had this deadline.....:)

DJFyrewolf36
04-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Doctor:

How did you get those papercuts on your rear???

Person:

I am a writer and I had this deadline.....:)

LMAO Richard, I know a few writers who have this problem...

As for the bad habits:

1: I shower with my husband *we actually CONVERSE in the shower, the naughty stuff goes on in bed lol* I live in a house where all the hot water you get is 20 min tops then you have to wait two hours for the stupid thing to refil. Unless a cold shower is what you're after...you'd better soap up and rinse off before the water is gone! Oh...and I live with 4 other people besides my husband, so getting 20 min of hot water is kind of a far reaching estimate most of the time.

2. I have a rat. Is it wrong to spoil a rat? They are REEALLLY adorable....
You can't spoil fish too much and as for the lizard, I don't think she cares so long as the food is there :p

3. "Casual sunday" actually goes on most of the week. (except for sunday ironically because everyone goes to church) Everyone in the house *save for the teenager and me ugh* has a night job so, getting up before two is rare. And if theres nothing to do? I think I go to bed at two pm from staying up since whenever class started the day before. Curse computers and their adictiveness! Eh, who needs sleep...

4. Replace TV with either PS 2 or CD player...

5. Our sheets are abnormally clean. I think its cause the hubbys mom worked at a motel as a maid but he insists upon changing the sheets once a week. Oh well...no crumbs right?

6. Um...I talk to myself. Does that count?

7. We have silverware? And its clean? When did this happen....lol:p

IttyBittyKitty
04-10-2004, 07:43 AM
Been living together for just over a year and bad habits rule our house ....

1. 45-minute showers ... and 300 dollar electricity bills.

2. Spoiled pets - they deign to let US live in THEIR house.

3. "Casual Sunday"
Dragging yourself out of bed at 2 PM - make that 4 PM.

4. All TV, all the time - replace TV with computer.

5. Pretzels in bed - and crisps, and toast and icecream .... crumbs? Well, the cats take care of those.

6. Aimless whistling - and toneless singing.

7. Lack of silverware - we have some now, but for awhile there it was plastic cutlery, plastic plates and cold goods from an esky.

Nomilynn
04-10-2004, 01:30 PM
I do actually live alone, so when Nathan comes over this is what he has to deal with. If he doesn't like it, tough :p

1. I take about 20min showers so I always just let Nathan go first. But I just make him take a 5min one so I always have enough water :D

2. Nathan is as bad as me for spoiling the kitties. They are allowed just about anywhere in the house except on my dressers (too many little things to chase) and on the TV cabinet. Nathan and I both, though, are always buying them toys, feeding treats, etc.

3. Casual day off is any day we don't have to work. I will stay in my pj's all day if I want :) And Nathan doesn't care one bit :D

4. The TV is always on even if we aren't watching. We both like background noise.

5. We don't really eat in bed.. usually in front of the TV. But I always eat at my computer and so does he, so it's something we agree on :p

6. We don't whistle but we are always singing. Usually to the kitties (see #2).

7. I have silverware and dishes for 8, and I'm rather anal about counting it and making sure nothing has gone missing. Nathan just loves me despite my weird habits and is very considerate of them :D

I think this reporter hasn't had a date in a LONG time, and has no clue about a real relationship :p

dukedogsmom
04-10-2004, 05:06 PM
Me too!!! My dog will come before any man from now on. I made the mistake of not doing that before. I will never choose my furry son/daughter over a man. And if they make me choose, they're out the door.

Uabassoon
04-10-2004, 06:05 PM
5. Pretzels in bed
As long as no one's watching, that queen-size mattress might as well be an enormous dinner table (guys are especially partial to this habit — it has something to do with getting yelled at by mom). Keep it to the kitchen, thank you, and while we're on the subject, try to clean your sheets once every few months, too.

I will admit I'm horrible about this. The other day I cooked dinner for my girlfriend, she seemed in shock when after preparing the meal and fixing our plates I put them on the bed and sat down. I don't own a table, so I just eat all meals on my bed in front of my tv. The living room/kitchen area almost serves no purpose, it's just there for show.

IttyBittyKitty
04-11-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I will admit I'm horrible about this. The other day I cooked dinner for my girlfriend, she seemed in shock when after preparing the meal and fixing our plates I put them on the bed and sat down. I don't own a table, so I just eat all meals on my bed in front of my tv. The living room/kitchen area almost serves no purpose, it's just there for show.

And why not? Like I said, there are cats to clean up the crumbs lol!!

catland
04-12-2004, 05:55 PM
1. My husband goes to work an hour before me - no shower problem there.

2. I don't think I would have married him if he DIDN'T spoil our kitties.

3. Casual Sunday? - And Saturdays too! - although we like to get up and going on Saturdays when its garage sale season.

4. TV? There's the two of us, and four TV's - all wired together so that the same thing can play all through the house including DVDs, and yes, we've been known to have all four on at the same time.

5. Pretzels? Well, they are bound to be better than the junior mint incident.

6. Neither one whistles, or sings for that matter - good thing too because we're not very good.

7. Silverware? Yesterday I had family over for the holiday and I brought out my matching silverware - well ok, plasticware - but it did all match.

Silly list.
:D

chocolatepuppy
04-15-2004, 08:29 PM
Hubby and I both do pretty much what we want around here as do our spoiled rotten furkids! Never a dull moment around here! It's kinda like a circus everyday (and sometimes even at night) lol

Vio&Juni
04-16-2004, 05:49 AM
1. 45-minute showers - We take showers together. No need to say we don't keep it short. But as soon as the hot water is gone (I have a boiler), we're out. I am adorable in the shower.

2. Spoiled pets - He spoils them as much as I do. Juni eats what she wants from the corner of the table. I am adorable when I kiss and pet my cats.

3. "Casual Sunday" - hmm, I am adorable in a bathrobe or other summary clothing.

4. All TV, all the time - well, I have to admit, sometimes if it's too much tv, you forget about the person next to you. I am adorable when I watch tv, though.

5. Pretzels in bed - Juni takes care of the crums. As for the clean sheets, I love the smell of freshness, so I do change them. I am adorable when I eat in bed.

6. Aimless whistling - I sing, and again, I am adorable.

7. Lack of silverware - I have silverware, and I have plates and I am adorable again.

There's too much emphasis on what you should do, how you should act, you know, the whole Holliwoodian concept of a perfect woman, or a perfect man, or a perfect relationship. Just be yourself, you won't be able to pretend you are who you are not for a long time anyway.

Barbara
04-16-2004, 06:06 AM
Vio I thought of writing you a PM about how you feel these days- but no need for that: You're adorable:D :D :D

Logan
04-16-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Barbara
Vio I thought of writing you a PM about how you feel these days- but no need for that: You're adorable:D :D :D

LOL!!! Barbara and Vio, you are too funny, and adorable too!!! :D

I find that I agree with most of this, except for the long shower, so I must be a prude (actually, I knew that long ago). :o Of course, there are hundreds of other habits I need to break, just that six of these seven aren't among them!!! :p

My Peanuts
04-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Dogz

3. "Casual Sunday"
Dragging yourself out of bed at 2 PM, trudging around the house all afternoon in your bathrobe, brushing your teeth over the six o'clock news and only taking a shower after dinner — unless your new beau is as laid-back (read: as big a slob) as you are, all that will soon be as extinct as the dust bunnies under your bed.

NEVER

K9soul
04-17-2004, 10:51 AM
Ah yes, I will "show them who's boss" as practice for my love life.

I don't show my pets who is boss and I don't show my husband who is boss. I'd think couples who feel the need to show each other who is boss will definitely have some serious problems. I'm guessing that was meant to be a humorous line.

Anyway if you love pets, the best way to be happy in a relationship is with someone who feels the way you do. :)

I've always found those dating and relationship guides in magazine articles to be pretty inaccurate.

Cincy'sMom
04-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Another married person who breaks the rules...

1. Showers...Mine are usually less then 15 minutes, but his are often 30-45!

2. We both spoil the dogs...I let them get away with more, he gives them more table scraps.

3. Casual Sunday...yep, and Saturday, and any day off work, and...

4. Tv, on; computer, on; Stero, well sometimes on (even with the TV!)

5. Pretzels? We have three dogs...just try and find food crumbs!! (dog hair, tennis ball fuzz, sure, but no food!)

6. Well, Ralph sings the shower, does that count?

7. We do have three nice sets of silverware. One is inthe basement and has not seen the light of day in 4 years, but we have plenty!!

petlover
04-18-2004, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dogz
[B]I found this article under MSN Dating & Personals.

------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Spoiled pets
Strict disciplinarian that you are, you're perfectly fine with Bonkers the dog snarfing your Wheaties in the morning, and it's just so cute when Cleavis the cat curls up in the kitchen sink for a nap. Even if he's a pet lover, your boyfriend will be horrified. Show the beasts who's boss — if nothing else, it'll be good practice for your love life.

That is crap though!! I would spoil my pets like that anyday!! AND MY BOYFRIEND STILL DOESN'T CARE!! You are right Dogz, if they don't like it TOO BAD!

-------------------------------------------------------------