PDA

View Full Version : Can you believe this?

nsweezie
04-09-2004, 05:14 AM
Hi!
I've been volunteering at a cat shelter for a few months now. It has been hard work, but very satisfying, and I feel like I am making a small difference.
I was there yesterday, and I heard the saddest story. I had to talk about it with people who would understand why I was upset.
There was a new cat there, brown tabby, male, about 17 years old. The manager of the shelter was talking to the people that were dropping him off. They said that the cat was their sister's cat, and that she had died a week before from cancer. Now here is the terrible part, the woman's dying wish was that her cat spend the remainder of his life with her parents. She even made them swear that they would look after her cat.
Well, the parents actually were joking around with the shelter manager. The man said "We just agreed to stop her worrying, but we hate cats, so we're dropping him off here."
Maybe I'm crazy to be so upset, but I think this is awful. The poor cat was scared, and probably broken hearted. I gave him a big cuddle, but I still think he was so sad. Sometimes I despair of the human race!

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-09-2004, 05:48 AM
OH poor cat - that just brings tears to my eyes.

In my opinion those people are bringing themselves some REALLY bad karma - firstly by not honouring a dying family member's wishes, and secondly by making a joke of it. I personally would think that the cat would be such a wonderful way to continue to express their love for the deceased.

Is it a no-kill shelter? I suppose at least the cat has you, and other wonderful people like you, to give it some cuddles and attention.

jenluckenbach
04-09-2004, 05:55 AM
:(:(:( I'd have taken that cat from them without even thinking.
How horrible!!!!!!!!!!

PayItForward
04-09-2004, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
OH poor cat - that just brings tears to my eyes.

In my opinion those people are bringing themselves some REALLY bad karma - firstly by not honouring a dying family member's wishes, and secondly by making a joke of it. I personally would think that the cat would be such a wonderful way to continue to express their love for the deceased.

Is it a no-kill shelter? I suppose at least the cat has you, and other wonderful people like you, to give it some cuddles and attention.
This is my nightmare, how dare they promise and then go back on their word.

That lady would have tried to make alternative arrangements, if she had known :mad:

This is an English charity called Cinamon House http://www.cinnamon.org.uk which rehomes older peoples pets to other older people. Does USA have a charity like this ?

PayItForward
04-09-2004, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
:(:(:( I'd have taken that cat from them without even thinking.
How horrible!!!!!!!!!!

I know this sounds mean but it is not like the cat has long at 17 years anyway. Why couldn't they look after the cat for eight years max :(

catnapper
04-09-2004, 07:42 AM
OMG! How terrible! When my grandmom died I told her that I'd take her cats. I did everything in my power to find an apartment with reasonable rent that accepts cats. I couldn't find one... the one I did find was an attic apartment and in March it already felt like a 100 degrees. The whole time I was apartment hunting, both cats were being taken care of by my aunts... one with one aunt, the othe with another aunt. I felt sooo bad that I couldn't take both guys.:( I tried - I honestly tried to give those boys a fine home with me. They are still with my aunts who couldn't be happier to have them.

It bothers me to this day, 4 years later. All I can say is that Karma strikes when you're not looking.

moosmom
04-09-2004, 07:45 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: That's disgusting!!!

My Dad made me promise to take care of his cat Tigger when he died. I kept my promise. Actually, I loved Tigger so because he was the last link to my Dad.

Unfortunately, Tigger didn't get along with other cats so I had a real dilemma on my hands. That's when my best friend said he could live with her. He had a wonderful life! He was very loved and I got to see him all the time. He actually lived on 3 more years till one day Susie came home and found him in his favorite spot, dead. We had him cremated and she gave me his ashes. When I left CT to move to Michigan, I took a teaspoon full and put it in this beautiful little ceramic container (it was a cat sitting on top of an ottoman). It sits right next to Casey's cremains. The rest I gave to her and her daughter. They scattered them in some of his favorite spots.

My cats are all provided for in my will. I would NEVER take the chance of no one being able to care for my furbabies!

I find it awful that a family would lie to their loved one and then make a joke of it later.

nsweezie
04-09-2004, 08:30 AM
Posting again.
Luckily the cat (the shelter named him Mickey) is in a no kill shelter. He also isn't the healthiest cat, and he seems so sad, I think he is greiving for his owner.
I was shocked too that someone could be this heartless, and it made me think about what my kids would do if something happened to me. I asked my sister if she would look after my babies, and she willingly agreed, which is great because we all live together now and it wouldn't be too much of a shock.
More on Mickey- the shelter manager said that she will just keep him at the shelter for the remainder of his life, it would just be easier on him than having to go to another new home, if someone wanted to adopt him.
Right now Freya is on my lap purring away, it's like she knows I need to have a cuddle to make me feel better.

IttyBittyKitty
04-09-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by nsweezie
Posting again.
Luckily the cat (the shelter named him Mickey) is in a no kill shelter. He also isn't the healthiest cat, and he seems so sad, I think he is greiving for his owner.
I was shocked too that someone could be this heartless, and it made me think about what my kids would do if something happened to me. I asked my sister if she would look after my babies, and she willingly agreed, which is great because we all live together now and it wouldn't be too much of a shock.
More on Mickey- the shelter manager said that she will just keep him at the shelter for the remainder of his life, it would just be easier on him than having to go to another new home, if someone wanted to adopt him.
Right now Freya is on my lap purring away, it's like she knows I need to have a cuddle to make me feel better.

Thank GOD that poor baby is in a no-kill shelter! Make sure you give this precious one heaps and heaps of love.

It doesn't sound too good that he is sick, and it sounds as though he might pine away for his owner. Old cats sometimes do that, it is harder for them to bounce back than it is for younger cats.

I think that woman's family are DISGUSTING. Not only do they dishonour a dying family members wish, and not only did they not bother finding a good home for him, but they were CALLOUS about it! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I would have told them exactly how disgusting they are, I couldn't have held back.

Could they not have been HONEST and say "we cannot take care of the cat, but we will find a good home for him?" ... and then made the effort?

prechrswife
04-09-2004, 10:12 AM
I cannot believe family members would behave like that!:mad:

jazzcat
04-09-2004, 10:15 AM
That is so terrible and so sad. :( :mad: It's one thing to make that promise but not be able to keep it due to circumstances. These people didn't even try. I hope they do suffer some bad mojo!

I've promised both my parents that Miss Kitty will be taken care of by either me or my sister. Actually my sister has the best home for her because she is used to going out for a few hours a day and being in a more rural area and that is similar to my sister's house and cats. If she comes to live with me she will no longer be able to go out because I live in a small subdivision in a busy area with lots of traffic.

I'll say a prayer for poor Mickey.

Randi
04-09-2004, 11:01 AM
That behaviour is the lowest of the lowest!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: I can't believe they could do that!! How very sad for the cat, but at least it's a no-kill shelter. I hope this cat will have lots of love during his/hers last years. :)

RICHARD
04-09-2004, 02:06 PM
When my GF got sick she was no longer able to keep Eddie. NONE of her kids or sibs wanted him.

I took him so he would not have to be put into the pound and I have never regretted it.....

He has rewarded me by being a perfect gentleman.
He has never sprayed, pooped outside the box or
had any of the behaviors that non-cat people complain about. (OK, he has hacked up some furballs......)

Edward is the last connection I have to the GF and to this day none of her family members has ever contacted me to check on him.....

I just have two words for people who cast away the pets of loved ones....

Bass turds.

lat192004
04-09-2004, 02:16 PM
This story is probably more common than you think. I would bet that these people treat humans the same way!

sirrahbed
04-09-2004, 02:23 PM
:mad: :(
OK, Now that I have had a good cry, I can write. This is just so, so sad!! Poor Mickey!!! What a mean and callous attitude for this family to take. I do not know what I would have done had I been there. I suspect I would have gone ballistic on them.
I am just thankful that the shelter is no-kill and that Mickey has you and others to love him while he is there. So sad though.

PS Richard - you are normally such a stinker and I was on the verge of asking you for a serious and sensitive post. This one gave me my pause. No more RICHARD!!!! posts.:D (at least for awhile);)

trayi52
04-09-2004, 02:30 PM
The really sad thing is their daughter died thinking her cat was going to be cared for. I just don't see how they can live with themselves. Are they not still supposed to be greiving for their dauughter? And they are making jokes about the PROMISE they made to their dying daughter! What kind of love did they have for their daughter.

To me when you own a pet of any kind, you put yourself into that pet. By casting her cat aside, they are throwing away a huge part of their daughter. Think how much of herself went into that cat!

Truly sad for the cat, and the daughters memory.

Willie

sirrahbed
04-09-2004, 03:07 PM
:( oh I HATE that I do this! I read things like this and just dwell on them and let them upset me so much!!! I keep thinking about my kitties now and who will love them if something happens to us?? I know I have great kids to love them - but that story really gets to me! How can parents act this way??? Like Willie says - part of their daughter is in that cat - the fact that the daughter CARED what happened to her kitty proves this...and now they laugh and say they hate cats? I just want to cry more. I HATE this!!:(

catcrazylady
04-09-2004, 05:33 PM
This really hit me hard! This is the saddest, sickest, most disgusting and disturbing thing I have ever heard! What horrible people they must be!! How in the world could anyone make a promise to a dying person, much less their own daughter, and not do everything in their power to live up to that promise???!!! I could go on and on about how I feel about these people but I know it won't make any difference. My comfort comes from knowing that we all get our just due in time. I wouldn't want to be these people!!

It is so wonderful that if Mickey had to go to a shelter that he is at a no kill facility. It also sounds like he is in a caring place with people like you to make his last days as comfortable as possible. God bless you and all those that are there for Mickey and others like him. Please give him extra hugs, snuggles, and scritches from us! He has touched all of our hearts and I for one would like to pass on a hug to him in memory of his loving meowmie.

edit: Richard, that was a wonderful and touching story about Eddie. I had no idea how Edward came into your life but he was very lucky.

RICHARD
04-09-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady

edit: Richard, that was a wonderful and touching story about Eddie. I had no idea how Edward came into your life but he was very lucky.

Nope,

The two lucky 'cats' on this thread are Mickey and me!

Mickey, for finding a haven, and me, for finding a little heaven-Edward!

sirrahbed
04-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Nope,

The two lucky 'cats' on this thread are Mickey and me!

Mickey, for finding a haven, and me, for finding a little heaven-Edward!

:o I was such a smart aleck to you earlier in this thread:o but I take everything thing back, at least for today. You know I like you or I would not RICHARD!!! you.

jazzcat
04-09-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
:( oh I HATE that I do this! I read things like this and just dwell on them and let them upset me so much!!! I keep thinking about my kitties now and who will love them if something happens to us?? I know I have great kids to love them - but that story really gets to me! How can parents act this way??? Like Willie says - part of their daughter is in that cat - the fact that the daughter CARED what happened to her kitty proves this...and now they laugh and say they hate cats? I just want to cry more. I HATE this!!:(
Debbie - are you from or do you have family from TN or CO because I really believe we must be related. I'm just like you dwelling on things like this and getting upset. We have to be long lost cousins!

carole
04-09-2004, 11:35 PM
I agree this is a very nasty thing to do, they should have been honest and upfront about it , I am happy to hear he is at a no-kill shelter, let us all hope he finds a loving home soon, this must be very traumatic for the cat as well, to loose his owner and his home, all in one, don't people ever think of that, they have feelings too damn it!!!

I am so happy now that I can have cats(even though I am allergic) because I always worried what to do if my parents were gone and what would happen to Tessa, but I know I can take her now, and no matter what I would have found her a home.

Positive vibes being sent across the miles for good news that kitty has found a loving home .

sirrahbed
04-09-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by jazzcat
Debbie - are you from or do you have family from TN or CO because I really believe we must be related. I'm just like you dwelling on things like this and getting upset. We have to be long lost cousins!

Oh Lori! I am STILL thinking about it! We ARE related. You know how? Crazy Cat Ladies! Hopeless!:rolleyes: I still hate that I do this!:(

catmandu
04-10-2004, 09:21 AM
To renege , on a Death Bed Promise , is about as low as a Person , can stoop , and disgusting that they make jokes about it. But I bet that they will make every seffort , to grab all that they can , from the will. Beleive me I have met Ants that walk taller , than this vermin.

carole
04-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Well Said Gary, I agree with your comments 100 per cent.