PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a rabbit?

Tonya
04-08-2004, 10:18 PM
Ok, I'm having a brain fart, so you'll have to help me out here....You know the bunny here on PT, that is white and really fluffy. It's so cute that it doesn't even look real? Uggg, why can't I remember it's name or who has it?

Anyways, I really really like that bunny. And what more appropriate time to get a bunny then Easter. I'm thinking (if those kind are even easy to find) about getting Jaden a bunny for easter...

I grew up with Rabbits, so I won't have a problem caring for them...hmmm....just considering it...

GoldenRetrLuver
04-08-2004, 10:32 PM
I think you're thinking of Anna's (CookieBaker) Willow.
Err. I, personally, think Easter is the worst time to get a rabbit. People breed them during this time to make money, and sell them as 'Easter gifts'. Most of them probably end up at the shelter.

I you really want a bunny, do some research, and ask lots of questions. I'm sure people would love to help you. :)

Aspen and Misty
04-08-2004, 10:35 PM
I also don't agree with getting bunnies for easter, what kind of messege will that send to Jaden???

Ash

G.P.girl
04-08-2004, 10:51 PM
i think if Jaden grows up around you, and you tell him about rescuing and not breeding etc, then he'll be finr getting a bunny for easter. there are still bunnies that need to be adopted on easter:p

wolf_Q
04-08-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Tonya

Anyways, I really really like that bunny. And what more appropriate time to get a bunny then Easter. I'm thinking (if those kind are even easy to find) about getting Jaden a bunny for easter...

I couldn't think of a more INappropriate time!

You have two cats and three dogs...two of which are husky/husky mixes, dogs known to have a high prey drive. Do some SERIOUS thinking before you jump into this. Getting another pet is a big decision not to be taken lightly!

Nomilynn
04-08-2004, 11:15 PM
I'm pretty sure the rabbit you are thinking of is Sas's Winter, who passed away recently :(

I think that buying a pet *for* a child at any time of the year isn't necessarily a good idea. Wait for Jaden to express an interest of his own, make him work for it, like reading up on it and learning about rabbits, and go from there.

Tonya
04-08-2004, 11:35 PM
Yes, Willow is who I'm talking about. Thank you.

I disagree that Easter is a bad time of year for a responsible and knowledgable person to get a rabbit.

I hate it when people don't have a clue what they are doing and buy surprises, but that wouldn't be the case in my family.

Now, the point about my huskies is a good one. I've thought about that. Dusty and Roxy actually have zero prey drive. Also, I would never allow the rabbit and dogs to be around eachother. If the rabbit is out of it's cage, the dogs would be in another room or outside.

Tonya
04-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
I'm pretty sure the rabbit you are thinking of is Sas's Winter, who passed away recently :(

I think that buying a pet *for* a child at any time of the year isn't necessarily a good idea. Wait for Jaden to express an interest of his own, make him work for it, like reading up on it and learning about rabbits, and go from there.

Alright, alright! I admit, the present would really be for me. lol. Disregard this post anyways, my hubby said No.

Tonya
04-08-2004, 11:41 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Winter passed away. I loved that bunny. I don't read Pet General often enough, I didn't realize that. :(

Karen
04-08-2004, 11:56 PM
Wait until just after Easter, and rescue one of the bunnies people who didn't know what they were getting into. For Easter, you can buy Jaden a stuffed bunny with a "promisary note" for a real live bunny of his own. Then he can go with you to the shelter and help choose the bunny and everything.

See http://rabbit.org for all sorts of information, they are a great resource, and probably have rescue bunnies already available.

The only reason I wouldn't buy a bunny at Easter is that it reinforces the impulse buy profitability for the stores.

Tonya
04-09-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Karen
Wait until just after Easter, and rescue one of the bunnies people who didn't know what they were getting into. For Easter, you can buy Jaden a stuffed bunny with a "promisary note" for a real live bunny of his own. Then he can go with you to the shelter and help choose the bunny and everything.

That is a brilliant idea! It looks like I have to scratch the whole bunny idea for now anyways. Mike doesn't want us to spend another dime until after the strike.

BitsyNaceyDog
04-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Just another thought. My bunny was a rescue, the family who originally had him had bought him for their 3 kids for easter. After they got him they realized that a bunny isn't always a good pet for a kid. Reason being, he was getting big and strong, yet he was still very young and active. The kids couldn't play with him because he would kick and scratch the kids. If you get a bunny I think you should adopt one that is a couple years old. Mine is now 2 years old and has calmed down a lot.

wolfie
04-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Wait until just after Easter, and rescue one of the bunnies people who didn't know what they were getting into.

Just what I was going to say. ^_^

Sorry you can't get a bunny now, but maybe in a while you'll be able to get one. I mean you can get Jaden one. ;)

Dogz
04-10-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I couldn't think of a more INappropriate time!

You have two cats and three dogs...two of which are husky/husky mixes, dogs known to have a high prey drive. Do some SERIOUS thinking before you jump into this. Getting another pet is a big decision not to be taken lightly!

I agree 100% with this post. You really need to think about this before you jump into it. Do research with Jaden, and teach him about bunnies, teach him about how to care for them.

I don't think that Easter is a very good time to get a bunny. That is my personal opinion.