PDA

View Full Version : Obedience Classes

Amber
04-08-2004, 09:17 PM
How old should your puppy be when you enroll them in classes?

and how old should they be when they go to a dog park?

Kfamr
04-08-2004, 09:21 PM
First of, congrats!

to answer your wuestions... I'm not so sure aobut the first one... probably is up to the trainer/teacher of the class.

The puppy should have all of his shots (and dog tags) before going to the park.

slleipnir
04-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Well I remember calling them when Ifirst got Jo at 6 weeks. They said it's find to sign her up then. I don't remember her age by the time she started though, but she wasn't much older..They just might need more breaks the younger they are as I guess their attention span isn't that great when they're young..

binka_nugget
04-08-2004, 09:34 PM
With the trainers we've gone to, their actual obedience classes were for dogs 6 months and up. We actually wanted to enroll Kai into puppy classes but he was too old by a week. It was just chaos trying to control a young pup in a class full of adult dogs barking.

I think it'd be safe to go after all the shots are taken care of. But even then, you'd have to keep him close to you. The bigger dogs might not know how to handle such a small pup. :)

GoldenRetrLuver
04-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Our Obedience Instructor wouldn't take dogs in that were less then 6-8 months old. That way, the dog has all it's shots and is spayed/neutered. I took Daisy in when she was 6 months. :)

Amber
04-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the info!

and thankyou Kay! :D

guster girl
04-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Don't know if you still need any answers, but, I know it depends on the trainer and/or place you take the dog to and the type of class. Our puppy went to (and is still in) his first class. It's puppy basic and Petsmart allows them as early as 9 weeks. That's when Finn went for his first class. :) He's 15 weeks old now, and, just went for his sixth class (one class was cancelled, so, the classes were pushed up one week), or else we'd be done with the seventh already. Anyway, and, yeah, what everyone else said about the dog park. :) Finn hasn't gone, yet, but, he gets his third and final set of shots within the next week. :)

jenfer
04-09-2004, 01:06 AM
Gigi had her puppy class at PetsMart. I think the dog has to be at least 10 weeks old and have the shots.

Amber
04-09-2004, 09:14 AM
Okay, thankyou everyone. :)